MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: building collapse

Boolit Master

building collapse

I can't keep from watching news of this, leaving me a bit speechless, at one time, like a lifetime ago, I lived in one of those high rise buildings just a few miles from there.
    I think those folks need our prayers.

Boolit Master

If it wasn't blown up, the Building Inspector has some "splain'n" to do.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sinkhole?

Boolit Master
    The place was built 40 years ago....a lot can happen in that time.

Boolit Master
    Yes ,sinkhole.....I just saw on telly a program about Florida sinkholes......one guy sleeps with a ladder beside his bed in case his house falls into a sinkhole during the night.......scary stuff .

It's tragic.

I'm no geologist or building engineer, but it seems Florida is basically a glorified sand bar,
    and the just the wrong place to put big and heavy buildings.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Definitely suffered from a critical member(s) failure. Usually concrete (properly reinforced) gives some warning as the steel yields.

Settlement / sinkhole or vehicle impacts / malicious damage to columns in the parking garage are my guess.

Boolit Grand Master
    It was reported the building was settling at the rate of 2mm per year
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

As a Florida resident. Sink holes and shifting sand. Was driving home one day from Destin, Fl and watch a sink hole open and halfway swallow a car on Highway 98 (main road and only road down the coast). We were in town so only traveling about 35 MPH.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master
    2mm/yr x 40 years=80mm, so a bit over 3" in 40 years. Sinkhole or possibly a change in underground water flow making the underlying strata act more like a liquid and unable to support the structure. Just guessing

Boolit Grand Master
    Sure wish a sink hole would open up in DC under the..............

Boolit Grand Master
    Never felt safe in tall buildings.

Boolit Grand Master

This is making the rounds on the net. "John McAfee said in a video that he was going to release files on the deep state that would put them in Gitmo for good.. Yesterday he was murdered. Today the building that collapsed in Miami, a condo unit in the building was either owned by him or was where he had servers stored. Is this where he had hidden the files? Coincidence? Things that make you say hmmm.. "

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Surprise Surprise - Not really
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    well, been thinking about this a lot. I'm not one to jump into conspiracy theories, but, its a fact that at the time that building went up there were a record amount of high rise construction going on in so fla. the place was awash in cocaine and cocaine money. there was more than one roach coach driver providing the white powder to constrction workers to help keep em up during the day. there was a severe shortage of cranes at the time and many continuous concrete pours were being delayed.. at that same time luzary high rise developer Marty margolise was bragging how he bought his own cranes to build the grove isle buildings because there were none others available anywhere. whole police depts were paid off to protect drug shipments why not lots of shoddy workmanship probably being approved by paid off inspectors.
    now this report by a university that says buildings were sinking. wonder what other buildings are sinking.
    newton taught us about gravity I guess everything that goes up has to come down.
    what's even crazier is those condos cost the big bucks, right on the beach, just south of bal harbour, im just guessing here but the cheapest ones in building probably had value of maybe $1/2 million, just 3 days ago.

Buildings dont just collapse straight down. That looks like demolition to me

Boolit Master
    The way buildings are constructed, if you lose structural integrity somewhere in the center, as it collapses, it pulls the surrounding walls and floors toward the area of collapse.
    In the video, the second part to collapse on the right side of the view, looks like it was very poorly constructed. Almost like a house of cards.

If one is a private structural inspector in the Miami area, your phone is likely ringing off of the hook with people hiring you to come inspect their buildings.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    Buildings dont just collapse straight down. That looks like demolition to me
    Of course they do. When the top floors collapse, they over stress the working load of floors below. Do you expect them to blow up and scatter all over?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Miami is built on an underground aquifer that is sinking due to water use. Also built on sea shell fill. No surprise here. Known problem for 50 yrs.
    Whatever!

Curious that the building was being inspected for its forty year recertification. In watching the outside video of the building collapse and the apartment security video it appears to be at least ten seconds from when the building began to sag enough for concrete particles to activate the motion sensored camera to the point of actual collapse. Looks like the failure began at the bottom of the column towards the center of the building. At least one catastrophically failed leading the center to come down followed by the more distant part of the building 10-15 seconds later as the sudden loss of support to the inside overstressed the columns further to the outside.

I'm wondering if a truck or some such may have accidentally rammed one of the columns in the parking garage under the building? If the column was already stressed to its failure point that may have been the final straw.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast