Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Lapua Match" brass has lots of defects...

Boolit Buddy

"Lapua Match" brass has lots of defects...

Is this what I should expect from Lapua "match" brass at 80 cents a case?

DEEP chatter marks
    Dented mouths
    Uneven chamfers
    Mouths that aren't square

The pictured brass is NOT the exception. All the brass in the box has at the very least a chattery and bumpy mouth.

These literally are worse than what I can produce with my Lee deluxe trimmer. What is this? If you took a box of the cheapest ammo and pulled the bullets, you would instantly have better brass than this, and cheaper, even at todays insane ammo prices.

Bought brand new from midway a couple months ago.

Boolit Grand Master
    That must have been a Monday or Friday batch
    usually there are some who you can count on for quality and Lapau is usually one
    Shame, but it's nothing that you can't fix
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    How does the rest of the case look? I don't know about you, but I trim and size all the new brass I get. Do the same to once fired too.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    That must have been a Monday or Friday batch
    usually there are some who you can count on for quality and Lapau is usually one
    Shame, but it's nothing that you can't fix
    what worries me is that it looks EXACTLY how handing off the "brass trimming" operation to someone who doesn't know what they are doing, armed with a drill press and a dull cutter, would look

the QC here is non existant, I literally perform superior QC on my own random range pickup brass and I dont get dents like these from my ss pin tumbling

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    How does the rest of the case look? I don't know about you, but I trim and size all the new brass I get. Do the same to once fired too.
    i havent noticed anything on the rest of the case..but who knows

seems kind of odd to me that I need to re-trim and re-size brand new "match" brass thats been annealed....how can that make sense

Banned
    Well maybe the brass comes from China now by way of Lapua it would not be the first time a name brand got watered down by the bean counters and what avenue do you have to rectify this?

Boolit Buddy
    A lot of new brass I get looks worse than that. I always size full length, check LOA, chamfer in and out of the neck and check for burrs in the priming hole and then load um up.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by slohunter View Post
    A lot of new brass I get looks worse than that. I always size full length, check LOA, chamfer in and out of the neck and check for burrs in the priming hole and then load um up.
    so what am I getting then by paying a premium for this? thicker walls and more consistent internal volumes? If this isnt significantly better than my once fired lake city range pickups then whats the point

Boolit Master
    Complain to them or where you bought it, see what they say. If it was me I’d measure a few and see if they’ll be shorter than you’d like once trimmer, if yes then I’d look for a solution, if no I’d size and trim.

Banned
    I have used lots of Lapua brass. None of what I use is loaded right out of the box. I weight sort them, resize the necks, turn necks, etc. I always have a few failures from each box. But Lapua isn't alone with this. There are more failures with other makers. Lapua's reputation is their brass will hold up to more firings a sizing than most others, and handle more pressures. All new brass needs to have an expander run in them to shape the neck. Necks can be distorted just from banging around in shipment.

Boolit Master
    I don't see what the big deal is. Always neck resize and trim to a uniform length before loading so I know they are started from the same measurements.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master

Did you buy this direct from Lapua or from a distributor ( midways sinclair Graf mid south). Im wondering if this might have been a return that was resold and had been "prepped"before returned. I have bought a fair amount of lapua brass over the years and its always been good ( mostly 243 )

That doesn't even come close to some of the stuff I've gotten from Remington. I ordered 500 .30 Carbine brass from Midway some years ago, package arrives and I open it, they were about half formed. They looked more like gas jets than cartridge brass. I called Remington, talked with the production manager, he sent a label and said, ''I want those on my desk as soon as possible!'' The next week I had replacement brass and a pair expensive of Remington shooting glasses.

Boolit Master
    I would expect that all of the brass is too long and needs to be trimmed to length. At least that's what I've observed with some 308 match brass that I've seen.
    If it is too long, size it, trim it, chamfer it and be content. That is exactly what I do with any brass that I use for making accurate loads.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Buddy
    I sent Lapua pics and they said to mail them some of the bad cases. In the mail they go!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I always trim new brass.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought some 30-30 brass one time that once I opened the box and looked, didn't have any primer pockets.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    I bought some 30-30 brass one time that once I opened the box and looked, didn't have any primer pockets.
    That's called "safety brass"!

Boolit Master

I bought 300 Lapua Match 221 FB brass and it is by far the best brass i have seen in 60+ years of reloading.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    I bought 300 Lapua Match 221 FB brass and it is by far the best brass i have seen in 60+ years of reloading.
    did it look like mine

got any pics?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast