Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Today was my first bullet casting session

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    Congrats man. Now, you need a bottom pour pot. If you think you're cranking them out now, just wait. I surmise a good pot will roughly double your speed.
    Thanks. I've been resisting. First I want to learn what I'm doing, then I can try to fine tune things. A properly regulated electric pot might also maintain the temp of the melt better too. That's got to result in better bullets.

I was looking at bottom pour pots today. The Magma is too expense for this noob. the LYMN and RCBS I can swing. The LEE I ran across too many dripping complaints and that would drive me absolutely nuts, but the price is definitely right. I'll probably wait for the re-engineered RCBS to come out since the Lyman and it are priced pretty much the same. I ran across no complaints whatsoever re: RCBS and by the time it's released I should have enough pennies saved.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    The Lee pots do drip. If you fiddle with them, you can reduce it a lot, but there will always be some.
    If you get one of the pricier pots, make sure the support for the molds fits your molds. There was an issue about Lee molds not being supported correctly.

Thanks

RCBS complaints. I should have been clearer. I think it was RCBS that some folks mentioned replacing the mold support. But I don't see that as a huge issue. They're also reengineering it and maybe that's part of it. I also have no experience with ANY bottom pour pot so I guess I'll just cross that bridge when I come to it. From what I saw with the Magma even it had an issue with the mould support. But in looking at it it would be easy to correct. But I'm not spending $600 for the Magma.
    Last edited by BJK; 06-27-2021 at 10:23 AM.

Boolit Master

I've been ladle casting using a propane fish cooker and pot since the early '90's. Had a Lee pot, thought it was an unnecessary PITA. Went back to ladle. I like the RCBS side pour ladle best. I got poor fill out with the Lee ladle.

Boolit Master
    after i lube my boolits i stand them on grease proof paper in rows of 20 ,ok im ocd but it makes counting easy.

Boolit Master

Your hooked now.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post
    I was looking at bottom pour pots today. The Magma is too expense for this noob. the LYMN and RCBS I can swing. The LEE I ran across too many dripping complaints and that would drive me absolutely nuts, but the price is definitely right. I'll probably wait for the re-engineered RCBS to come out since the Lyman and it are priced pretty much the same. I ran across no complaints whatsoever re: RCBS and by the time it's released I should have enough pennies saved.
    After 50 years of casting ... I still do my best work with a Lyman ladle , with the little side spout , an open top pot and pressure casting . I gave away my bottom pour pots because I like perfect boolits and bottom pours cast a lot of so-so bullets ... I want them nearly perfect and the ladle and Lee Magnum Melter 20 lb. pot give me that .
    I wasted a lot of years screwing around with a bottom pour pot and discoved a small pot , when ladle casting , is a big waste of time , you spend too much time filling the pot and reheating metal . You can pour a lot of good boolits with a 20 lb . open top pot , Lyman Ladle and one 4 cavity or two 3 cavity moulds .
    Don't agonize over a bottom pour pot ... the truth is you can cast a lot of good boolits without one ... in my case I cast many more good bullets without one !
    I only wish I had the Lee 20# Magnum Melter 50 years ago ...5 and 10 lb. pots are way too small .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 06-28-2021 at 03:58 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Thanks Gary.

Yeah, bottom pour pots that won't drive me nuts are awfully expensive! I can do it, but I can also use that $ for other things.

I'll know much more after I put the bullets I made into the production cycle and shoot them. I appreciate the feedback. I'm already set up with a propane burner and casting outside, well, mostly setup. I still need some shade.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12