Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today was my first bullet casting session

Today was my first bullet casting session

I think I was waiting for the stars to align. But I'd waited long enough, I thought today was too windy (I cast outdoors with a propane burner). But all in all it went well. I need to get some shade to work in, one of those collapsible canopies should be fine. Sure I had some rejects as the mould warmed up and I learned how to ladle the Pb, but that learning curve was very short. I did pre-warm the mould as I was waiting for the Pb to melt.

I started casting last year with #4 buckshot, not the easiest thing to cast. Maybe it was because I had that under my belt (probably), but I had no problem casting the 9mm bullets and I'm so happy I bought an 8 cavity mold. It really cranks out the bullets. I have no idea how many I made, but I wasn't in a hurry, I bet I made between 300-500. As the weather permits I'll cast more but in the meantime I need to learn how to coat them. Sizing should be straight forward.

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/359...e-groove-mold/

Then on to, https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...3-5-cavity-pb/

I'm liking turning scrap ww into something I'll be able to use. But you all know that feeling.

Anyway, what a year ago was like alchemy to me (that's the way it is with the ignorant, but ignorance can be fixed) went very well today. I was actually surprised at how fast the quality bullets piled up. I'm soooo glad I bought the mould that I did (8 cavity) !

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats on your new skillset. The learning never stops.

Boolit Master
    Good for you, as some members on here will attest; it took me a pretty good spell to get decent bullets. Consider yourself very lucky.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Banned

Congrats. I remember when I started casting boolits. I was like you and took to it pretty easily and I cast outside too. I use the Lee 10 pound bottom pour pot and 2 cavity molds cause we don't shoot that much in a normal year. I cast for about 12 different boolits for all of our guns, the main thing for me is 2 fold fun and calming therapy.
    Enjoy as you get deeper into the addiction.

Watching those little boolits fall out never gets old.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Front to back, beginning to end. Any and all things related to casting your own boolits. BUT. Keep loading and shooting so you have to cast more!

Boolit Master
    just warming up the pots and doing it is all there is. its great you are having success right out of the box. but as you will find the more you do it the more you learn.
    and with this hobby you can always remelt your mistakes and try again if something does not look right to you.
    for me casting is its own richly rewarding hobby.

Boolit Master

If you want to know how many you did, just weigh all of them, then one of them. Multiply the total weight by 7000(grains/lb) and divide by the weight of a single bullet.

I just weighed them Springfield. 457 bullets in about 1 1/2 hours of actual casting. Of course there was setup and take down time and waiting for the lead to melt. I'm not a bean counter but that's a pretty good return on this retirees time. Of course they aren't finished, but still...

I'll need alot of them since I shoot USPSA. 400 bullets is enough for 3+ average matches. But I still need to work up a load for them. I expect that to be a piece of cake.

I'm really happy with the MP mould. My only other experience is with LEE.

farmbif, oh yes, I know all about remelting. I'm not the tidiest of pourers with the ladle (I hope to get better) and I have to remelt lots of over poured sprue lead and the bullets with less than sharp edged bases. Those were the biggest flaws, but disappeared once the lead and mould got up to temp'. I need to make a few changes to my setup but they're minor changes. The worst part was being in the direct sun.

But I'm pretty happy with what I did. I was expecting something other. I still remember what I went through with the #4 buckshot learning curve. This was MUCH easier.

Boolit Grand Master

Congratulations !
    I too have always been rather amazed at the rather magical transformation ... the turning of a bucket of dirty , discarded wheel weights and scrap lead building materials into little boxes of valuable , shining boolits ... or as another member put it ... "gleaming orbs of death" !
    Save a few from your first boolit making session ... 50 years from now you can look back at them and fondly recall your " First " !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    If you want to know how many you did, just weigh all of them, then one of them. Multiply the total weight by 7000(grains/lb) and divide by the weight of a single bullet.
    Just count them .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Congrats,very rewarding pastime.

I don't cast in big numbers,only have single and dbl cavities. Once done,I count them. Been doing it since the mid '70's.... this is when I do the initial culling. Count them by 5 at a time sorta rolling them,looking for blems. Takes longer to write than do.

Good luck with your shooting.

Boolit Buddy
    Find you a good mound to shoot into and you can reuse the lead forever.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Welcome to the addiction!
    Glad things worked out the way they did.
    You will get better with time.
    Get them loaded so you can tell us how they worked!
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

It always feels good when ya beat the system.

To get a so-so accurate count:
    I weigh one, then divide it into 7,000. That tells ya how many are in a pound.
    Then weigh the batch on a bathroom scale, and multiply that by how many per pound.

It isn't perfect, but it'll get you pretty close.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Bub
    I just took up this portion of hobby last year. Very satisfying to use what you produce. Learning curve in my 60's, keeps the head in game. Most of all.......have fun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Congratulations !
    I too have always been rather amazed at the rather magical transformation ... the turning of a bucket of dirty , discarded wheel weights and scrap lead building materials into little boxes of valuable , shining boolits ... or as another member put it ... "gleaming orbs of death" !
    Save a few from your first boolit making session ... 50 years from now you can look back at them and fondly recall your " First " !
    Gary
    To me the closest was when I used a wood lathe turning a stick of hickory off the wood pile into a chisel handle in one step.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    "Some days are diamonds....some days are stones." (John Denver) Some days you wish you were just plain stoned.

Good sage advice for casting little lead pills.......................and life in general.

(Free knowledge imparted from my 70 years on this mortal coil.)

banger

Boolit Master

Congrats man. Now, you need a bottom pour pot. If you think you're cranking them out now, just wait. I surmise a good pot will roughly double your speed. I started on a burner and skillet also.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Congrats and welcomes to the addiction. Think about a few pieces of sheet metal to protect the flame to the melting pot. Maybe even bend a ring so the flame and heat is protected, before it reaches the heating surface.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast