MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: have you ever heard this

Boolit Master

have you ever heard this

reading these responses made me think about my hunting experiences. I have not shot any big game with a factory load since 1970, nor any small game with factory shot shell since 1977. How time flys. And just to reinforce, I have never had a misfire or any other issue with these hunting loads.

So far as outfitters requiring "factory", I recall someone going to Africa, where his outfitter made such a requirement. He reported that he simply boxed his hand loads in a nice plastic box and printed labels that said something like "Custom Manufactured for _____ by _____ Custom Ammo.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Man
    In 2009 in the Republic of South Africa, Limpopo Province. Hunting cape buffalo, I bet my life on my .458 win mag reloads. My first shot was at 18 yards, my second was at 9 yards, my third was at Six feet. I'm still here, the buffalo is on the wall.

Encountering people with rifles, or without rifles, that do not make sense is quite common. Even happens on this board from time to time. I see no need to start a thread about non-sense anyway.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Encountering people with rifles, or without rifles, that do not make sense is quite common. Even happens on this board from time to time. I see no need to start a thread about non-sense anyway.
    SND (Slow News Day) This is just filler.

Long before I started reloading I saw a movie on Sniper School. They were meticulously building their own ammo, honing their skill from the bottom up. I didn't become a serious shooter until years later but all that weighing, measuring and testing left an impression.

At a gun shop or range mostly I keep my mouth shut and listen and chuckle.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Wow. Tough crowd. I have to fess up and admit I’ve had reloads FTF. Not many and all but one due to weak primers. That one was entirely my fault.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    Wow. Tough crowd. I have to fess up and admit I’ve had reloads FTF. Not many and all but one due to weak primers. That one was entirely my fault.
    I have had several batches of primers that the cup was too hard to fire reliably in a stock gun with a new mainspring. (Redhawk) None of those made it beyond range testing and were eventually used up at the range in my 629. I buy large batches of components. By the time a particular primer/powder/bullet combination makes it to the woods a thousand rounds have been fired. Powder charge variation is less than 1% and the bullets are fit to the guns. If you want it done right.... LOL
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    I have had several batches of primers that the cup was too hard to fire reliably in a stock gun with a new mainspring. (Redhawk) None of those made it beyond range testing and were eventually used up at the range in my 629. I buy large batches of components. By the time a particular primer/powder/bullet combination makes it to the woods a thousand rounds have been fired. Powder charge variation is less than 1% and the bullets are fit to the guns. If you want it done right.... LOL
    Amen to that
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydub in wi View Post
    Which fella are you referring to?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    The guy referred to in the OP.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123