Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: have you ever heard this

I trust my reloads over factory ammo any day, just saying....

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

I check every cartridge I make for hunting, whether it's a pistol or rifle. The COAL is checked, the primer is from a known (quality) manufacturer, each powder charge is weighed and each bullet (or boolit) is checked. I trust my hand loads and wouldn't use anything else. I'd darn sure make certain that I had more ammo than I thought I'd need too for a once in a lifetime hunt. If I'm hunting, I'm using my loads.

I use my handloads only. Every gun I have has my loads and they ALL perform better than ANY store bought load for what I need. Ive tested them and know what they do.
    I have had a failure to fire (and seen others) and a hang fire and both were factory ammo.

Boolit Master
    Well, I've been handloading for over 40 years now.
    I've heard all kinds of excuses from folks who won't trust handloads, over factory. To those folks,, I say; "Your choice,, & my choices may be different."
    I've traveled & hunted, & always carried my handloads,, that were specific for each firearm I had with me.
    My choice.
    And one thing I've not seen mentioned above is the POTENTIAL for an emergency, and the NEED for more ammo than you may have thought necessary.
    I've traveled & only fired my sight-in shots,, and never had my game in front of me. I've also only fired 1-2 rounds on game on such hunts.
    But knowing the wilds & the potential for an emergency or the need for more ammo than a normal hunt,, I make sure I always pack & carry much more than necessary.
    I also go to all my USPSA competitions with at least double the expected round count. Why? Re-shoots, or other issues may require me to shoot more than planned.
    Getting a heavy snow, in a back country spike camp may keep you there longer than planned. And even worse,, the rare chance you may need to rely upon your firearm for survival,, and it'll be worthless w/o ammo. The comment above about only carrying 5 rounds afield, and a few boxes in camp with a few more boxes in the car is all that's necessary may be fine if you never have an emergency. As a Hunter Safety Instructor,,, I advise new hunters about the SOS & firing (3) shots as a distress signal. Only having 5 rounds will only allow this distress signal ONCE!
    Fall out of a tree stand, break a leg or your back & you may NEED to signal searchers.

Now, I handgun hunt mostly. On my holster rig, I keep (6) spare rounds,, AND in my backpack, a box of at least 50 rounds. When I'm hunting at home, on my own property, I keep the SAME amount with me. I've never needed it,, but if I do,, I'll be glad I have it.

But back to the OP.
    Some folks have had a bad experience with handloads. Heck, I've seen more than my share of POOR handloads by other shooters. So, I can see some reasons to prefer factory over handloads. But after 40 years of handloading,, my personal choice will be different.

Boolit Grand Master
    When I was still able to hunt quite a bit; I used both my own handloads and factory ammo, not at the same time of course. It really depended on what I was sighted in with and what I was using.

Other than shotguns and .22's, I can't remember ever having a misfire with a center fire rifle while hunting.

I did have a bunch of misfires with one particular lot of Winchester small pistol primers about twenty years ago; but since I was plinking in the desert it wasn't a big deal, clear it and go on.

Robert

As near as I can figure, I've only killed three deer with factory ammo. With the 30-30, 22-250, and .223.
    All the rest and all varmints and turkeys I've used handloads for, always.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I've never hunted with factory ammo in My life. Had a number of factory rounds fail on me; no anvil in the primer, no powder in the case, incorrectly formed hull or brass case. Even had my first box of Federal .25-06 fail to hit the paper. At 100yds, tested scope, correctly mounted.
    Brought handloads next trip; 1 1/2" group, first 3rds. Had a complete case head separation in the first box of .38Spl brass I ever bought. A std pressure load too.

Always used once fired brass for hunting. once fired-brass is tested. The primer pockets are good, the primers all have anvils, powder IS IN the case. Bullet is solid, NOT "mal-formed".
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

The choice or type of bullets for hunting ammo may vary from targer loads. Not all reloaders are knowledgeable about bullet selection. You don't want to use FMJ or a bullet with little penetration for hunting. The people here are knowledgeable but when it comes to the general public look out.

I have an aunt on a fixed income, but God love her she's a patriot. Got her CCW and then additional training, prioritizing that over other things in her life. She shoots/carries a .40. As so happens, so do I, so I offered to keep her in ammo at no cost basically at her pleasure. I got the, "I don't shoot reloads, they're not safe." in a surprisingly angry response. So I asked....who told you that? Her response....the range she trains at, a range that also REQUIRES you buy your ammo from them for use on their range, and they allow no one to keep/collect spent brass. Geez...I wonder why??? We've not had the conversation since, and never will again. Can't fix stupid.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    I have five rounds left of the old 130 grain .270 silvertip. It's the last rifle I have that I hunt with factory rounds. Wish I could get a hundred of those bullets to load up. One shot drop everytime.

I do have a bunch for 30-30 so that will be my go to when I use these up.

Boolit Master
    I hunt with either a 300 H&H or a 350 Rem mag. I don't expect to be able to find ammo if I should run out or misplace some. So what I do is carry a couple of boxes in 5 rd batches spread out in my gear some in coat, some in hunting pants, some in shirt, some in pack etc. Other than 22lr or a box of ammo to try a new gun, I don't buy factory ammo.

I like guns chambered for unusual or no longer loaded cartridges and I'm not afraid to take them hunting with handloads. I have several rifles in the normal calibers like 223, 243, 30/30, 308, 30/06, 270, 338w.

Most of those except the 223 stay home while I wander the woods with a 22KH, 25/20, 30 Rem, 7mm mauser, 300 H&H, 35 Rem, 350Rem, 358Norma, or 32/20. If it weren't for reloads I would not be able use most of the ones I like to use as factory ammo is rare or just doesn't exist.

Knocking something you know nothing about seems fairly common. My handloads are made up to fit my rifles better than factory ammo. After about 60years of reloading I trust my reloads over factory ammo as I am able to carefully inspect every component and prep every case to make sure each round is as close as possible to the rest of that batch.

However, the more folks that shoot and don't reload make for more empty brass that needs a new home.

Boolit Master
    I'm not a hunter but I do handload all my ammo for cost savings and accuracy
    As a hunter wouldn't you want the most accurate ammo for your rifle/handgun that could be factory or handloads. Read more than one article where rifle "X" would shoot good groups with factory ammo but give excellent groups with handloads. Also full power loads are not nessicerily the most accurate loads for a particular firrarm. If a particular load is 5-10% below max but cuts your group size by half makes more sense to use a handload as opposed to factory.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    The people here are knowledgeable but when it comes to the general public look out.
    The average person out there is not the brightest. Even those here with countless years of experience can screw up a load. Sometimes you get by with it, but others???
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Buddy

[QUOTE=cwtebay;5214023]Many guides / outfitters will not allow handloaded ammunition while you are hunting with them. It really only makes sense for those fellas - they always assume the worst (and should if you've ever listened to some guiding horror stories). As for the gentleman that you spoke of - maybe he doesn't trust himself enough to load for those situations? And bully on him for realizing and correcting for his shortcomings - most of us refuse to do that.

I've hunted mule deer in NE Wyoming 2x in the last 5 years. When we go to the range with the outfitter, he's only concerned with the rifle being correctly sighted in and that the hunter can shoot ok. He said that some hunters can't hit a 8" paper plate at 100 yards from a benchrest. He doesn't care if you are shooting factory or handloads. He does like nosler accubonds for hunting deer and antelope though.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The fella is a damned fool.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    The fella is a damned fool.
    Which fella are you referring to?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    well, in some ways it makes sense.
    I'm currently baffled by some 9mm ammo I reloaded at least 1/2 dozen years ago, stored in a 50 cal ammo can along with some factory Remington stuff all in 9mm
    I still don't know why but there are al least 200 rounds I reloaded in that box that just will not go bang, none of the reloads will fire. but all the Remington stuff is perfect.
    The best guess I can make is defective Winchester primers.
    Anything “can” be defective. I’ve shot close to 10,000 Winchester primers that had been stored for about 20 years in an unairconditioned garage in the Texas heat and humidity. None failed to fire.

My primary hunting rifle is chambered in 6.5x55 but has a slow-for-caliber 10” twist. I’m limited to 129 grain or lighter bullets so it would be tough to just walk in and find factory 120-129 grain ammo.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

I take all the time I need to carefully assemble my ammo . I pay attention to all the little details .
    I'm not concerned with profit so I buy the best components and assemble everything correctly.
    Manufacturing plants are concerned with profit and production ...they have to be ... it's a business .
    But I honestly believe my ammo is as accurate ( sometimes more) and as reliable as factory ammo ...
    Careful techniques , attention to detail , good components , each round hand crafted and inspected ... Heck Yes My ammo is better !

Now ...if you are a slip-shod , ignorant reloader then ...you need to buy ammo for hunting because what you are saying is ...I'm a piss-poor reloader and can't trust my reloads to go bang and hit the target .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I haven't bought over 10 boxes of factory ammo in the last 40 years. My hand loads have worked every time for me so for. To each his own.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Norma rifle ammo was a dollar a shot back when I was a teen. It was way to expensive for this kid back then. Now that every brand is at least a dollar a shot; they are all too expensive now. If it weren't for handloading, my oldest hyphenated cartridges(44-40, 38-55, and 30-40) would just set there unfired....none of those has had a factory round at all.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast