MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: probably saved enough to buy a good press today

Banned

probably saved enough to buy a good press today

loaded 80 rounds of 6.5-300 wby using necked down 300 wby brass i had and good old inexpensive hornady interlocks drove nails in it. Used 92 grains of surplus 860 i think i paid 45 bucks an 8lb keg for back years ago. Id hate to see what weatherby would charge for 4 boxes of that stuff but i figure i have about 50 bucks into it.. Load averaged 3492 for an average of 5 shots with only 15 fps between the higest and lowest.

Whenever my Dad-- who was the definition of frugal--
    collected from a big account, or made a large sale, he'd sometimes celebrate or reward himself.

After the dust settled, and things in the store were quiet, he'd say,
    "I need to reward myself...... I think I'll go down to Goodwill and buy myself a new $2. shirt."
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    collected from a big account, or made a large sale, he'd sometimes celebrate or reward himself.

"I need to reward myself...... I think I'll go down to Goodwill and buy myself a new $2. shirt."
    sounds like we have the same dad. Mine has a bunch of money in the bank but at 89 still thinks he needs it in case something happens. Brags that for the last 10 years hes got all his clothes and shoes from ST. Vinneys. Makes my sisters hem up jeans for him all the time. Heck we were over there the other day and my brother in law stopped by to look for a flare fitting for a copper line and dad had a whole pail of used fittings. I think his favorite thing in the world is duct tape!! Hes got exactly two guns other then the ones i gave him. A 16 guage double barrel that was his dads and a 3030 my mother bought him for his 2nd wedding aniversary. chuckled at camp last year. I gave him a 22 mag years ago and 4 and a 1/2 boxes of shells. Looked in his locker where he keeps it locked up so the grandkids dont shoot his ammo. there was still 4 new boxes and only 8 shells missing out of the half a box. I think hed have a stroke if he had to buy a box. He has an old can am 4 wheeler. Battery has been bad for 3 years and he says he wont buy one because hes so old he might die before he gets his money worth so everytime he uses it he jump starts it with his truck!! Me im TOTALY the opposite. Live believing the old saying the man that dies with the most toys wins!! Nobody will be fighting over my money when they plant me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Don’t forget our dad’s probably lived through the depression.
    I don’t think many today in the US have really experienced their hardships.

Boolit Master

My wife announces every once in a while that she intends to spend and enjoy what we have and the kids can make their own way. I am waiting for this spending to start, any day now. Just a waiting for it,, any time,, lets go. Time's getting away from us.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    My wife announces every once in a while that she intends to spend and enjoy what we have
    When I got married the 2nd time early in 2002, we planned to go to Las Vegas.
    The soon to be Mrs. Winger told me she'd never been there, and wanted to do some gambling.
    "I don't care if we win or not, I just want to do it".

I told her, "Sure, I haven't been out there and done that either. It might be our only chance".
    She said, "I want to take extra money, and gamble----- a lot.......... I mean about $40".

That was about the third or fourth time I'd thought,,,, 'We're going to get along real well'.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Frugal ...... I have close friend that was that guy that picked up his check with a note in July asking if he could cash/deposit etc his March checks so they could be cleared or cancelled and reissued .

264 WM is a bit like that Weatherby last time I saw cheap in the lull ammo it was 45/20 for FC HyShok . I found some old Speer 140s and 6? gr of 857 . I didn't chronograph them but I'm sure they were 2900 plus bought new RCBS dies and tripped over a Forster Bench rest sizer and inline seater . Paper patched a few 260-120 NOEs ..... What I saved on the first 2 boxes paid for the tools and 200 bullets .

At $6-8/100 for 45-70 and 45 Colts vs 28-40 per box I'm saving money I haven't even made yet .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Don’t forget our dad’s probably lived through the depression.
    I don’t think many today in the US have really experienced their hardships.
    depression ended in 39 so someone born that last year of it would be 82. My dad is 89. Lived through some of it but was to young to realize how tough it was. His family was poor before it poor during it and poor after it. Out of 12 kids he was the only one that got out of poverty and made a good life for his family. Youd think they would react just the opposite. They went so long without and it didnt matter how much they had saved they lost it so i would think theyd say the heck with it and spend there money before it happened again and they lost it a second time. even being frugal with is a gross understatement for him gets a bit rediculous when your 89. Cant figure out what hes saving it for. We have 6 kids in the family and all of us did well and dont need it.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    My father was born in 1918. I grew up being preached to about holding onto the money you had. He never trusted banks either, because my grandmother lost all of her $5000 she had in the bank back then.

Boolit Master
    Mom and dad both lived through and told us stories about the depression years. Interesting times.

Dad died early, at 57. Mom died at 90 and still had a healthy bank account, 'just in case'.

Boolit Master
    My dad lived during the depression in east Tennessee. When the TVA took the house and property he and his parents were living in to build Norris dam they were not given enough money to replace it and had to buy a very small house on almost no land. Dad said that his uncle was in the process of building a second bedroom for him when they ran out of money. He said for several years he could look through the sub floor 1x6s and see the snow that had blown under the house from his bed. Most accounts say the TVA paid 11cents on the dollar to the people they displaced.