RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the receiver screws in a Parker Hale M98?

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn

What are the receiver screws in a Parker Hale M98?

I have a couple of Parker Hales made on the Mauser action. While bedding one into a new Boyds stock, I have discovered that the screws holding the action in the stock are not the right size/thread. What was in there is 1/4 inch 20TPI, and when i do the screws up, as they get further into the action, they bind up. M6 with a 1.0 thread pitch does the same, it just binds up quicker. 1/4 inch Whitworth don't work either. Does anyone know what is meant to be in there? Much appreciated.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Buddy
    Probably 1/4x22. Buy from Brownells.

Boolit Grand Master

Look the action up on Gun Parts dot come and look at the parts list They may give it in the description.

Or with some cre you can pack the screw hole with clay and very caefully back it out.This will give you a male form that can be measured with a thread pitch gauge.

A chamber cast with cerosafe can be made like a chamber cast plug inside of open holes and build a clay extension 1/2" above hole ( you need a stem to get a hold of to back it out) The cerrosafe will give size and pitch

Boolit Master
    As mentioned ,Mauser action screws are 1/4x22....this is a special size ,and you either buy them from a gun supply house,or make them yourself........brownells is probably the best bet to send to Aus.

Boolit Master

Thanks for your help, people. Brownells don't have any. Looks like I'm going to get some 4140 and make my own on the lathe.

Boolit Buddy
    Forster makes nice triggerguard screw sets, to include the M98, in both locking and non-locking versions.
    They can also be ordered directly from Forster, to save trying to search out an 'in stock' set from Brownells or others.

Boolit Master

Or get some 1/4-20 socket head cap screws the have an unthreaded length that is long enough to thread to 22 tpi. Of course, you may not like socket head screws.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master

I just looked at the Forster site and they are back order there (story of my life, don't need one, they are everywhere and cheap, need one, nobody has any).

I don't mind socket head screws (they are what was on there), and making some from longer units would be good, but how I could hold them on my lathe so I can single point cut the threads has me stuffed (I can't find any 1/4x22 tapping dies in Australia and I don't have a collet chuck).

Boolit Buddy
    Sarco has them in stock.

Boolit Master

Apparently Sarco don't ship to Australia. Just tried to order them, and got told at the shipping page that they cannot ship the screws to Australia.

It really sux living a a country that is such a hot bed for terrorism. Numrich won't ship here, either.

Boolit Master

Make a slotted sleeve to hold the shank of the screw that is larger diameter than the head and just short enough to leave enough exposed to thread. Hold it in a four jaw chuck and indicate the shank instead of the collet.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master

well, yet another set back. There are apparently no 1/4-22 screws anywhere in Oz and the fact that Australia is apparently an ISIS centre of excellence means I cannot get any from the US. Just to add another kick to the gonads, I just found that my Chinese lathe don't really do 22 tpi. I just set all the wheels and dials for 22 tpi and it wouldn't fit. So I checked the charts for setting the tpi and discovered that 22 and 24 tpi settings are the same. I measured what I had cut and it was 24 tpi.

I am thinking that my only option is to drill out what is there and re tap it. Any ideas? Would running a 1/4-20 tpi tap through the hole leave enough engagement with the thread?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Son View Post
    Would running a 1/4-20 tpi tap through the hole leave enough engagement with the thread?
    Not likely. With a little practice, it is possible to cut threads freehand. I have read instructions on how to do it in old text books but have not had the need to try it.

Boolit Master
    Can you get a 1/4-22 die? If that's a possibility, you could use a die holder in the tailstock to cut the threads on a piece of stock, then machine those into action screws.

Boolit Master

I have been trying to locate one locally. I had no luck, had to ebay. Hopefully i will get an end to this.

Can a private citizen send them to Australia?

Boolit Master
    Don't see why not, they are just machined parts.

Boolit Master

Hopefully I will have a die button tomorrow. Found one on ebay and ordered it, supposed to be coming from Melbourne, but I don't know if that's Melbourne, Victoria, or Melbourne, Wuhan.

Most socket head cap screws are hard as hell, like 12.9 rather than 10.9.

I'd be tempted to drill it out and install an insert.

Boolit Master
    Southern Son, I was only talking to a mate yesterday about replacing my Mauser screws with Allen head as my Zastava Mauser has, I will give the bolt company here a call tomorrow and see if they do have any. Regards Stephen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast