Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stand or sit

Boolit Master
    I still mostly stand but do not cast for long stretches.

To sit invites a serious lap burn, however an investment in a leather apron is likely in my future and then my Craftsman high chair will likely be used.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I use a thick floppy floor mat covering my lap hanging out over my knees while sitting. It has a couple small pieces of lead stuck in it.

Bottom line - we all do it differently! Just like reloading and just about everything else.....

I stand when casting........but I'm still new enough to be scared of dropping something hot onto my ....... nether region.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master

I'm in the old age group (81) and I do have a knee going bad but I still prefer to stand when I'm casting or reloading. I use anti-fatigue mats in front of my benches and they help a lot.
    Chuck

I sit. I have an old office chair that I can adjust the height as needed and a leather apron that hangs around my neck and drapes over my lap. That set up has worked for me for quite a few years.

Denny

Boolit Master
    I stand to cast. I am using a high bench and can see the spout on my bottom pour pot. I use a welders apron and gloves. There is nothing behind me in case I need go move fast in order to get away from a pot that is spilling. For me a casting session is less than an hour and a half.

My reloading sessions are about the same length of time but I sit down for them.
    Last edited by C.F.Plinker; 06-24-2021 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Caint spel wurth a hoot.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Buddy
    I sit to cast. I second the welder's apron, mine's a cheap harbor freight leather one. I don't tie it, just hang it around my neck to act as a shield. And I sit higher than a typical chair so if anything landed on the apron it would slide off and not stay in my lap.

So far the welder's apron has been a waste of $15, but that's a good thing. BTW, if you use one with pockets it's probably best to put it on backwards.

Moderator Emeritus

Set your casting table height to sit or stand so whichever you choose is comfortable. Get a rubber pad if you stand. Every session you need long sleeves, pants, boots, head covering and eye protection, I add gloves. A shop apron will take care of most spills.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

You guys do know you probably shouldn't be casting naked, right?

I've also been at casting for a smidge over 30 years and so far I've only ever had one mishap. Happened about 4 years ago. Like a fool, I was melting wheel weights with short sleeves. I dropped something into the pot from a little too high and a bb sized splatter got me on my forearm. Loud sizzle and a big scar remains. It literally melted a very impressive and deep hole into my forearm. I've always been very careful, but sometimes stupid seeps through.

I stand, but I rarely cast for more than an hour, 90m at most. If you sit, better be wearing something lead wont burn thru.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

I kinda sorta do both. I made a tall stool with pad and prop my butt on that and still have both feet on the floor. I do wear leather apron, gloves and tall boots. Most of the weight is on the stool. I don't get tired even after hours loading or casting. I'll soon be 75.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    As I said before, I sit while casting boolits, but I stand when melting lead for ingots. That’s where things are most likely to get “interesting”.

Sit,well technically..... rock. Sit in a rocking chair on the back porch. My constant companion Doberman,laying beside. She loves casting,almost as much as varmint chasing.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I use a tall stool. But, I always keep one foot in the floor. I kinda see it as a support for a half standing position.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

I sit to reload in my office/gun room. I sit outside to cast with a leather apron over my lap, and I don't get in a hurry. When I cast I set aside the whole day with nothing else planned and no possible distractions.

Boolit Grand Master
    I started out casting while standing, then my body started to break down. Now I kind of sit on a high kitchen step stool. Not real comfortable with the idea of sitting in a low office type chair with 750 degree lead close by.

Two things it is not advisable to do naked: 1. Cast boolits. and 2. Fry bacon.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Bad back, bad knees, heck just about every thing is worn out. reloading is done inside the house sitting. Casting done in the garage on an old coffee table and a small chair. Frank

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I started out casting while standing, then my body started to break down. Now I kind of sit on a high kitchen step stool. Not real comfortable with the idea of sitting in a low office type chair with 750 degree lead close by.

Two things it is not advisable to do naked: 1. Cast boolits. and 2. Fry bacon.

Robert
    You fry bacon naked to prove you know how to do it right.

I stand to process lead but have a cut down barstool for casting. It is just the right height for my table.

Boolit Master
    I like the idea of a tall stool, might try that, feet start to hurt after castin for a couple hours.
    Never had lead down my boots but was squattin to weld one time, cuff rode up, got a drop of
    weld spatter down my boot. Not worth tryin to get the boot off, it would cool by then anyway.
    Did get a tiny drop of lead on my glasses one time, right in the middle, stuck there.
    Ball cap or hat of some kind is a good idea. Don't tuck my shirt in. Safety first.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast