RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: First Time Shooting in Eight Months!!!!!

First Time Shooting in Eight Months!!!!!

I finally got a chance to hit the range today after a long eight months. I tried making a video but failed miserably.

My last shot prior was back in October 2020 when I was shooting at 200 yards. Before a shooter can go to the 250 yard range, they have to shoot three shots inside the black diamond at 50 yards. So rather than reset the scope, I wanted to just make an educated guess on where to aim in order to achieve the three shots. Well, I estimated 2" POA below the target sheet and center. Turned out to be 11" POA below the bullseye. I then just placed the black target where I had been making hits from that POA. Close enough!!!!! Now I can go back to the 250 yard range and continue where I left off eight months ago without resetting the scope!!!

44-40
    Uberti Winchester 73' w/ 6x Malcolm Scope
    25.8gr Reloder 7
    220gr 43-214A
    1,350fps
    Loaded on an RCBS Inline Green Machine

Small telescope mounted to an iphone and talking through a headset...worked pretty good but wasn't an easy set-up.

Interestingly enough the first two shots after eight months were spot on!!!

Current video

Attachment 285059

Attachment 285060
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 07-10-2021 at 10:34 AM.

Boolit Master
    That was pretty neat. And excellent accuracy to boot. Loved the sound of the bullet smacking the target. Sometimes when shooting cast bullets in my Finn model 27 if it is quiet enough, you can hear the cast bullet making the same noise as yours. Causes some head scratching from shooters on either side of my bench. Usually get some comment like "what the heck are you shooting in that thing". Frank

Boolit Grand Master

Howdy Jack
    I know how you feel ! Last September down in Peru the guberment sent me an order to intern my firearms. Seems they decided that all legal residents were a threat to the up coming elections as half the candidates were true red commies.
    So I took them to one of the two gunshops and put them up for sale.
    This past Monday I grabbed all that was handy with 30 pounds of appropriate ammo and had a blast ! Best was a 50-70 Trapdoor.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I know I got some splain'n to do!

Deer target shows hits from 150 and 200 yards with the 44-40. It took me 33 shots to figure out how to place the 18 shots on target. When I can sort out the video footage from three iphones and a gopro, I'll try to list the shots in order...but the iphone target video is not good. I hope to be able to confirm when I get a chance to go over the gopro footage.

First the 200 yard shots.
    It took me 6 shots to figure out that the scope had been corrected for the 200 POA 8 months ago. Once I figured that out (I was aiming too high) , 7 shots hit inside 8.5" x 11" and one off paper but still inside the kill zone.

For the 150 Yard Hits
    This is where it gets complicated. For 50 yard groups, I have to aim at the 50 yard correction noted on the large target, approximately 9.5" below the desired bullseye . However, for 150 yard hits, I should correct another 2.5" lower which would be 11.5" below the desired bullseye. For the target hits noted, I was aiming at the 50 yard POA which resulted in the hits grouping about 2.5" high. Even though, 18 hits were still achieved.

33 Shots fired
    The first 6 or 7 shots were high and off paper while shooting for 200 yards. I could not see where they were hitting then I finally noticed to high hits. An additional 6 to 7 were misses high but on paper due to improper POA for the 150 yard shots.

Once the correct POA was established for both the 200 and 150 yards, 99% of the hits were kill shots.
    Now that the correct POA has been established...the next objective is to shoot one shot each at 200 yards and 150 yards and see where the hits place!!!!
    Gotta love these old calibers!!!

Attachment 285207
    Combined Hits

Attachment 285208
    Over-All to show wrong POA hits

Attachment 285209
    150 Yards

Attachment 285210
    200 Yards

Attachment 285211
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 06-28-2021 at 07:19 AM.

I finally got the gopro footage downloaded and reviewed. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was.

33 shots fired, 28 hit paper, 17 hit inside the 8.5 x 11 notebook paper and 19 should have put meat on the table...IF I aim right for that first shot!!

15 shots fired at 200 yard target. First 6 shots are "complete misses". Once I got the POA straightened out, shots 2, 3, 4, 5,7, 9 and 10 hit the 8.5 x 11 notebook paper target, with shot 6 just off paper for a 9" Group. Including shot 8 outside low left, it would be a 12" Group. All but shot 8 should have made it in the kill zone at 200 yards. Although "shot 1" is noted, it was not included in the "hits" because it was still included in the first "misses" shots while trying to find POA.

Attachment 285290

The 150 yard target is similar, once the POA target was established, shots 17, 18, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 and 28 hit the 8.5 x 11 notebook paper. But I can't get it uploaded for some reason

Last edited by Savvy Jack; 06-28-2021 at 07:20 AM.

New Video

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Great stuff!

I shoot my El Tigre at 200 yards with the ladder sight at a full-sized Army "E" silhouette cut from 3/8" AR500 and with the open sights. I use a common load approximating factory velocity about 1250 fps and average about 80% hits and ten-shot groups about 8-10" out there which I figure is good for "minute of Bandito!" were I with Steve McQueen defending the rural Mexican village from the thugs.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Great stuff!

I shoot my El Tigre at 200 yards with the ladder sight at a full-sized Army "E" silhouette cut from 3/8" AR500 and with the open sights. I use a common load approximating factory velocity about 1250 fps and average about 80% hits and ten-shot groups about 8-10" out there which I figure is good for "minute of Bandito!" were I with Steve McQueen defending the rural Mexican village from the thugs.
    That is great!!!!!

With the exception of the first shot, consecutive shots 2 thru 15 actually grouped 5.827"
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 07-08-2021 at 09:32 PM.

Boolit Master

Good deal.........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Mold
    Nice!

Headed to the desert in early September after a full year of "life getting in the way of living".
    I should be taking everything I can carry, but I'll only take the dove hunting gear because I'll be on the road in prior weeks.

Why is it that when you retire, all hell breaks loose, disrupting the order that allowed for frequent shooting /hunting/fishing???
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Quote Originally Posted by pls1911 View Post
    Why is it that when you retire, all hell breaks loose, disrupting the order that allowed for frequent shooting /hunting/fishing???
    That is what I hear. All I ever heard when I was a kid was "retired, no job, no phone, no worries". Then my dad retired from Bell South two months before 911....he lost all of his retirement. Now I am working hard to try and do what I can just to get to stay home and rot, just to keep a roof over my head and food on the table when I retire....if I get to!

It's getting better and better.....

265 yard groups

Last edited by Savvy Jack; 08-07-2021 at 07:01 PM.