Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendations for modern inline smoothbore percusion deringer

Boolit Grand Master

I also think you should try the round ball, but also with an 1/8" thick felt wad under the ball. I would try a full size ball. Assuming that is a 45 caliber bore, I'd try a .454" round ball.

Boolit Master
    I've wanted one of these since they came out. Still no US imports. I'd like to get the 50 cal version.

Boolit Master
    A lot of good men and bad killed with a 44 ball at around 500ft /sec.....Webley long proved that a low velocity bullet that stayed inside the body was far more instantly disabling than a through penetration wound.

Boolit Buddy
    Elmer Keith was an advocate of the RB.............if that gun was mine I'd stoke it with a maximum charge of black and call it good to go...........besides, who in their right mind would stick around after the fire and smoke belching?........and you've still got the 2nd tube!!

Boolit Master

Cimron, first let me say your english is fine. The problem with going to maxiball or any other long bullet out of a smooth bore will be tumbling. This may give better stopping power as the wound channel will be greater. Best velocity will be from a round ball which also will be the best accuracy. The problem with using shot added to the load is less usable barrel length which will effect velocity. Probably the best for self defense would be a bullet that is the same diameter and length as a round ball but flat on both ends. This would be sure to tumble out of a smooth bore but would give the best velocity out of a short barrel and have more weigh than a round ball.
    Many years ago I made a BB (.177") under hammer pistol that was smooth bore. The powder charge was a 22 short case full of 4F. It was as loud as a 38 special and would put a steel BB through a 1" board at 25 yards and was quite accurate at that range. Barrel length was less than 3", sight radius about 5". The old Daisy BBs were not accurate as they had a little flat on each side.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12