WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: .40/65 brass

Boolit Buddy

.40/65 brass

I have been shooting .40/65 Starline brass in my Browning 1885 .40/65 Rifle. A knowledgeable friend told me that that was the wrong thing to do, that I should be shooting Starline .45/70 necked down to .40/65 then trimmed. He said I was probably building up a Carbon ring in the front of my chamber. Lo and behold he was right and I did have a substantial Carbon ring. What is the sites "brains" opinion on how to get or make the best brass for my Browning .40/65

Boolit Master

I used Rem .45-70 brass for My original 1885. It seems the softest of anything I tried. Imperial Sizing Wax worked well, a gentle hand on the press handle usually prevented creases in the brass. But that was 25yrs ago. Brass may have changes, starline may not be hard as tool steel anymore.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I have shot my Browning .40-65 since the late 90's and I have never seen a carbon ring shooting black powder checking the bore foe lead deposits using my Hawkeye bore scope. Maybe it's a smokeless thing I don't know. Some of my Starline cases are short but no signs of carbon in the throat or chamber wall ahead of the case mouth.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    I have shot my Browning .40-65 since the late 90's and I have never seen a carbon ring shooting black powder checking the bore foe lead deposits using my Hawkeye bore scope. Maybe it's a smokeless thing I don't know. Some of my Starline cases are short but no signs of carbon in the throat or chamber wall ahead of the case mouth.

i have a 45/75 Uberti - when I made up my brass (from .348 winchester cases) I cut a bunch of them short so I could use the crimp groove on a LEE boolit with smokeless - yeah dumb idea and I have learnt a bit following along here since - anyways the smokeless idea never eventuated. I got good results with blackpowder - have had no sign of any kind of crud buildup in that rifle - those cases would be about 1/8" short.

Boolit Bub
    If you feel like the cases are to short you could get a case stretcher from BACO. They make one that goes into your sizer die and you just run the case up and down in the press a few times and it attaches the case.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/40-calib...stre-cs40.html

Boolit Grand Master

Starline brass needs to be annealed before resizing but it works fine otherwise.

Boolit Bub
    I have no idea how the brass you select contributes to carbon build-up. I have fired many thousands of rounds with short brass & BP and never saw any carbon build-up. I shoot 40-50BN, 40-65 Win, 40-70SS, 40-82 Win, and 45-70.

Maybe consider shooting BP.
    Keep on hav'n fun!
    MikeT

Boolit Buddy
    A Browning Mikoro .40/65 barrel is chambered .025 longer than standard .40/65's. A Starline .40/65 is 2.100 " and the chamber is 2.,125. Reforming.45/70 brass to .40/65 stretches the case by about .065" and it can be trimmed to 1.125.

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure about the carbon ring build up. But I have heard with bp loads and to short cases cusing lead rings and paper rings ( with PP bullets) the bullet expands into the open space then shears off.

Jed if you decide to size down 45-70 be sure to switch arms every so often or youll end up "lopsided"

Boolit Buddy
    Have several hundred sized from 45-70 I shoot in my Browning BPCR and several High Walls in the same caliber, never had a problem.

Boolit Buddy
    My right leg is 1/2" shorter than my right leg so I already tilt that way. I will make sure to use my left arm for balance.

Boolit Grand Master

You have 2 right legs .............