RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Smoke, smoke on the range....

Boolit Master

Smoke, smoke on the range....

I had range duty this afternoon. Strictly volunteer position but I am doing my part to keep our local range running. No RSO means no open range.
    I got there right before 10:00 AM today and it was packed. Almost every bench taken. The black powder cartridge guys were shooting a match. They're a very well behaved group so it was no issue at all. A couple of them are RSOs as well so they appreciate it when someone like me shows up and they can just shoot.
    The only bad part was that I had the morning shift. If I have the afternoon shift, I go down to the wall at the end of the range and scrounge up those fine mostly intact hunks of lead!
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

I hate it when I'm picking up lead, and people show up to shoot. So inconsiderate!
    What could possibly go wrong?

Boolit Master
    I really hate when people show up, look in my bucket of salvage treasure and say "if you dont want that I'll take it" or worse just go out and help themselves to all that brass laying all over, I mean really now, the nerve its unbelieveable the gall of these caster reloader wanna be crowd. They're just a bunch of deploreables I've even seen them send their spouse out into intersection to retrieve "GASP" a shed wheel wieght from a semi just horrible I tell ya just horrible. Somebody has got to draw the line. (just tongue in cheek their all a really cool bunch who would give the shirt off their back if they weren't using it for a shooting rest)

Banned

Everyone at the range where I shoot is considerate to each other. But I try to get there early on weekdays to police brass and in the near future farming the berms for lead, and it sucks to have a massive amount of brass on the ground and before I can get it picked up someone shows up to shoot. Most of them, though, will actually wait for me to finish. I don't of course I get off the range so they can shoot. Once in a while that works out, once a father son were there shooting the sons new Axis 30-06. When I told them I was policing brass in our conversation, they offered me almost 50 pieces of 30-06 brass when they finished. Another time I got a bunch of 308 brass. I usually wait till they leave and continue picking up the range brass. On the other hand, sometimes I get there and the brass has been collected, oh well, win some lose some. I usually take one of my guns now so if that happens at least I get to shoot some.

Boolit Master

I'm so glad I belong to a private range and we don't need an RSO to shoot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I'm so glad I belong to a private range and we don't need an RSO to shoot.
    We have a couple of federal ranges around here. Pond Mountain and Sciota. You put your life at risk sometimes by going there. Great for brass pickings though.
    One of the perks of being an RSO at our club is that you can use the range during off hours. Great for when someone I know wants to go shoot but not be distracted by other shooters. It's all about safety.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master

We had a guy that scrounged every last piece of brass. He had the gall to ask for my brass while I was still shooting.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    The weird thing about the club I am a member of is that the RSO show up a noon on Saturday. I could never figure that out because all the nut jobs are there at 8:00 when
    the range opens and leave before these guys clock in for the day. One of them told me that he didn't worry about the Bullseye group but it was the other guys he has to
    worry about. The range we use on match days is closed to other shooters.

Boolit Master
    I am fortunate to have my own range so I don't have to deal with anyone but the wife. The draw back is there is no one else shooting and leaving brass.