Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Gun Smith needed

Boolit Buddy

Gun Smith needed

Hello all, I have a savage 260rem barrel that really likes to stick brass. I have sent it back to ER shaw and they claim everything checks out in the chamber. I was wondering if anyone on here had a 260 reamer and if it would be possible to turn a few thousandths off the bore end of the barrel and recut the chamber? Is that even a possibility? I have tried everything, neck sizing, bushings, turning necks, measured thr cases after firing, tried factory ammo, some really low powered reloads, something somewhere in the chamber is sticking brass pretty good. I assume it was cut with a worn reamer and something somewhere is undersized but I can't find it. Are my thoughts correct on cutting a bit off the threads, recutting the chamber and setting headspace again?

Some photos of fired cases might help.

Boolit Master

Usually this is caused by to much pressure but a rough chamber an also cause the problem. Several years ago I had a 308 that was having the same issue and it turned out that the throat was to short causing high pressure. Cutting the throat about .060"deeper fixed it. Most chamber reamer made today have the throat built in. The 260 is a modern high pressure round with pressures running about the same as a 308. I'm wondering if Shaw ever fired the gun to see what was going on. I had a problem with one of their barrels years ago and they did replace it. You should be able to find a local gunsmith that can pore a chamber cast to see if anything shows up or you can buy the metal and do it yourself. https://www.rotometals.com/chamber-c...-low-158-190f/ . I have the 260 reamer but I'm a long way from Texas and shipping cost is not cheap. I don't loan my reamers out.

Boolit Buddy

I am actually in SC and wouldn't mind paying for shipping both way. I'll send you a message. Maybe we can work something out.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would try a bit of 0000 steel wool on a split dowel, bit of oil on it and polish the chamber a bit first. Might have a burr in the chamber that is causing the hang up.

Boolit Buddy

That's a good idea, not really much to hurt honestly. Might give that a try thanks

Boolit Master
    Several things can do this. Just popping into my head is have you checked your go gauge against a new factory round with some scotch tape on it?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jim147 View Post
    Several things can do this. Just popping into my head is have you checked your go gauge against a new factory round with some scotch tape on it?
    Trick I learned form an older smith, I use masking tape which is about .004" thick. Had a 94 Winchester 30-30 come in that had .025" headspace and the guy was still shooting it. Primers were backing out.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have done the tape thing, but I also get a feeler gauge set and take scissors and cut a piece off, of the thickness I need.

Boolit Master
    Many years ago I purchased the one and only barrel I will ever buy from ER Shaw. It had an obvious and highly visible constriction in the bore about three inches from the muzzle. They basically informed me that it's too bad, and wasn't their problem. From that moment I haven't felt the slightest urge to own or use any of their products.

Boolit Master
    is this by chance on a 700 receiver? especially a newer one? If so more than likely due to improper extraction timing ie your bolt handle is not hitting the receiver to cam the brass out of the chamber.
    if your timing is right and you do have a bad chamber it would be ripping off / mangling the case heads.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Master

I have repaired couple of new factory guns with this problem. I used a rod with a slit in one end to hold a strip of 1500 emery cloth. I twisted the rod with emery cloth
    into chamber and used a drill to slightly polish the chamber. This only smooths over any scratch marks without enlarging the chamber, 0000 steel wool will not work.
    Larry

Boolit Buddy

Chamber needs to be burnished! We get this every year with the 742/7400 Deer hunters, shoot at Deer, cold air rushes into hot chamber and condenses, then rifle is put away. Next year case won't extract! Hhhmmmm!

Cold to hot makes sweat in the chamber. Think AC to range in the summer, then range to house in the winter. The moisture makes surface rust and gun stainless does rust.
    Been shooting in matches in the SE and SW for decades, AC in vehicle, gun without oil, gets you chamber surface rust.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

If it is a Savage action, why not loosen the barrel nut and set the headspace correctly. As far as ER Shaw barrels, I’ve only used 8 of them and they were accurate, affordable, and problem free. An angled handle chamber brush is a very handy tool to have. Remington included one with the 7400 and 7600 rifles at one time.

Boolit Mold
    Flex-Hone Rifle Chamber Hone may help. I have used for customers with almost 100% success

midway does carry them https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007046816

Boolit Master

what Larry said:
    I have repaired couple of new factory guns with this problem. I used a rod with a slit in one end to hold a strip of 1500 emery cloth. I twisted the rod with emery cloth
    I have used this same "technique" and it can help.
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !