Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wolf primers

Boolit Bub

wolf primers

Anyone using Wolf Primers?
    I did a search and saw one person said they were fine, but that was all I could find.
    I have been using only Federal 100s (small pistol), but I am considering ordering 10,000 wolf.
    Anyone have problems?

Boolit Master

I find Wolf to be a little tight, but great primers. I do all sizes. Even though they are tight, the primer does not get a print from the tool.
    I like the price, and performance. Have not had a misfire to date with them.

Boolit Buddy

I've had no problems with wolf primers. Not a one. I promised CCI I'd tell everyone that CCI primers are horrible. I have had more problems with CCI than anything. I had a bad batch of CCI. 5-10 out of 100 FTF. I called them to see if there was a recall or something and they continually insisted it was my poor practice. I am no newbie to this, and it wasn't one run. It was several loads in several calibers. BTW when I loaded the Dillon with Winchester, all the problems disappeared. I'm not saying CCI sold bad primers, it could have been shipping or storage. This guy didn't want to believe me. I wasn't even looking for a handout. I was looking for info. They treated me like I was a criminal. ok, I'm done venting.
    Wolf = good
    Winchester = good
    CCI = BAD
    Come and take them, Boolits first.
    Zombie hunter, Lic# 3006

I have never had a problem with Wolf. I just bought 15,000 more large pistol and small rifle magnums! I can get them delivered to me with shipping and hazmat cheaper than I can buy other brands locally.

I used to by CCI and have never had a problem, lucky I guess.
    "A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

Boolit Master

I can't comment on their pistol primers but have heard nothing bad and plenty good (VERY GOOD) about their rifle primers.

I have not used any yet but I bought deep based on what I read in magazines, on the internet and also from very experienced friends.

I didn't just buy them for price, although the price is very nice. I bought them because of accuracy claims and performance claims.

I will however temper the claim with the statement that I am a match shooter so what I consider important might not be to another type of shooter.

Be aware that at least with Wolf rifle primers that Magnum just means thicker cups, the primer mix is the same as non-magnum.

Maybe a pistol guy will pipe up.

Boolit Bub
    Wow, keep the comments coming in. I too can order wolf cheaper than cci or federal even with the hazzmat, as long as I get 5k and up.
    I have never had a FTF but I do tear the label off each primer pack, and use that to write my info from reloading on. I put that label in my reloads (the packs I put them in), then if I have a problem, I know the lot number of the primers.

Are you guys loading with a dillon press?

I have a 550b, as well as a Lee 1000, and have used CCI, Winchester, and Federal primers without issue.

Boolit Master

Where have you been getting these wolf primers?
    Everywhere I tryed to buy them, they were out of
    stock.
    Denny

Boolit Master

Powder Valley and Widener's. Both are running weeks behind in shipping because of huge amounts of orders due to Obama-itis.

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

http://www.wideners.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Hip's Ax View Post
    Powder Valley and Widener's. Both are running weeks behind in shipping because of huge amounts of orders due to Obama-itis.

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

http://www.wideners.com/
    Yep, I get mine at Wideners!! Great service!!!!

I have used about 8,000 - 10,000 large pistol primers without a problem. They all go bang.
    "A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

Ok guys, I just ordered some from Wideners. Will see how they work. They are out of large rifle though.

Boolit Master
    I currently use both standard and Mag Wolf pistol primers, and to date have had no problems. I can't comment on the formulation, but the mag pistol primers have worked fine for my Pyrodex 45 Colt loads in my Ruger Vaquero. As usual, YMMV....
    lathesmith

Boolit Buddy
    I have used Wolf and Magtech without any problems. I buy primers locally when I can find them and they are usually about 7 dollars cheaper per 1000 than the other brands and I cant find a reason not to use them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lunicy View Post
    I'm not saying CCI sold bad primers, it could have been shipping or storage.
    I will say it for you, CCI sold you bad primers. I had been noticing a good deal of CCI arsenal primers showing up in the reloading shops around. These were all nice and packaged in black and white boxes for use in Government Ammo. I started inquiring from various folks who know what is going on with gov. contracts, and I heard that CCI and Remington lost their contracts for the US military because of FTF problems with their primers.

Over the last year I quit buying CCI and Remington primes because I had too many FTF's. I have had up to 10 % FTF from Remington and CCI primers, most of which has been do to lack of priming compound in the primer cups. I couldn't get anything but rudeness from Remington and CCI when I made inquiries as to if there was going to be a recall. Since those two companies we not interested in helping me solve my problems, I found a way to solve them. As of the middle of November, 08 I quit buying their products. I started shooting Federals,(when I can find them) Winchesters, and Wolf. I havn't had a misfire yet.

Now I need to find a way to use up the 800 or so Remington small rifle primers, and the 500 or so CCI large rifle primers that I have. I guess I will use them for plinking loads in my pistols with old brass so when I get a FTF I can just toss it.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

I have used them and found the most consistent ignition ever using the small rifle mag. over the chrono the SD and ES were reduced by a third. I sure like them.

Boolit Master

FTFs in government ammo, NOT GOOD. Wouldn't that just pi$$ you off in the middle of a fire fight.
    I have been stocking up on Wolf because of the price and the good things I have heard about them.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Sorry to hear that about CCI, as I've used them for years without any trouble, I'll be on the lookout and certainly avoid the packaging Boer Rancher mentioned.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 01-05-2009 at 10:00 AM. Reason: minor typo

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I had a bit better luck on getting info when I contacted CCI some years ago. According to them, the end of the cup of thier primers, is cut more sharply than other brands, and require a bit more seating pressure to be sure the anvil is in contact. Kind of like an ill fitting cap on a caplock.
    The solution was, to use the ram seater on the press to put them home, rather than using an auto prime. After I did this, I had no more misfires. However, after I shot up my last few thousand CCI primers, I went to other brands, just to avoid the extra step.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    I too quit using CCI primers for my 629 and glock 20, too many ftf. winchester and federal work flawless for me. I want to try the wolf as soon as I can find some

What kind of price are they running on the Wolfe's? But then again after reading about them on other forums I dont think I would want to use them. I got Fed. 210 and 215's for $20.99 per thousand. I think the price would have to be way low for me to try them.
    WHERE THE HELL IS FARMVILLE??

I loaded up a batch of small pistol primers a while back with good results. They were tight to load, but preformed well in my cowboy guns with lightened springs.

Uncle Jefro
    No matter where you go, there you are...