RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you shoot this barrel?

Boolit Bub

Would you shoot this barrel?

Felt my Lyman barrel was fouling up to easily and decided to give it a thorough cleaning including a scotchbrite polish job I read about this forum. Well after cleaning I decided to run the ol' bore scope down the tube to admire my handy work and was absolutely shocked at what I found! There was a pretty large crack going most of the way around the interior of the bore about 1/2" - 3/4" in front of the breech plug. I've been shooting this thing a dozen times a year for the last 10 years! I shoot only RB's with 60-80 grains of Goex FF. Never double loaded or fired with the ball off the powder. I don't think I'm going to shoot this barrel again. I looked around briefly and couldn't find a replacement barrel for a LH percussion GPR. Any

one else ever see this sorta thing?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo on 6-22-21 at 11.01 AM #3.jpg   Photo on 6-22-21 at 11.01 AM #2.jpg   Photo on 6-22-21 at 11.01 AM.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I would write to Lyman. It look like an axial crack to me or l don't understand the photo.

Boolit Bub
    The crack runs roughly perpendicular to the rifling (bright diagonal lines). It's a little hard to distinguish the lands from grooves b/c the circular mirror is so small. I wrote Lyman today to see if they still had replacement barrels. They no longer appear in the list of available parts, so I'm not expecting much.

Proof test the barrel. Another reason to not have a bore scope.

Now that's simply unnatural. But being left handed, you should be familiar with "unnatural". jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    YMMV, but that would make me uneasy. I'd be looking to re-barrel. Granted, I'm not a machinist or experienced with that kind of damage, but that indicates to me a weakness and I wouldn't gamble with a weakness that close to my eyes and nose.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    Proof test the barrel. Another reason to not have a bore scope.
    Ha ha. After this I will be carefully scoping ALL my barrels periodically. I wish I had scoped this barrel 10 years ago when new. I have no idea when this crack started or how fast it's progressing. Maybe I should proof test it and take another pic if it's still in one piece.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Couldn’t it be shortened and breechplug replaced? Ahead of the crack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    Couldn’t it be shortened and breechplug replaced? Ahead of the crack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maybe, but barrel staples and attachments would have to relocated. I'm looking for a replacement that I can just brown and drop in.

Well it lools like you could shoot the barrel.

But not shoot out of it.

Yes i win a prize for bieng punny!

Let us know what lyman says.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

What would be interesting is to hang the barrel free and tap with a light brass hammer see if it is a ring or a thud. There is no way of knowing if it surface or how deep. When mounting new grinding wheel its hung on a screwdriver and tapped with another if it rings its good if a thud there is a crack and thrown away.

Boolit Master

Didn't Lyman have a recall on some muzzle loaders a while back?
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    http://co4h.colostate.edu/ss/forms/recall-22318.pdf

PRODUCT SAFETY WARNING AND RECALL NOTICETo: All distributors, dealers, retailers and consumers of Lyman Products black powder rifles and pistols Lyman Products Corp. (“Lyman”) is voluntarily recalling black powder rifles and pistols due to the potential of separation in the breech plug. Lyman maintains a safety-first approach, so despite finding only a fewfirearms affected and no reported injuries, we are offering a recall program to have the issue corrected.Lyman regrets the inconvenience but remains committed to the safety of our customers. 475 Smith Street Middletown, CT 06457office: 860-632-2020www.lymanproducts.com Products: This recall includes black powder rifles and pistols regardless of caliber(including Deerstalker, Great Plains, Great Plains Hunter, Trade Rifle,Plains Pistol, Black Powder Kits,and replacement barrels; excluding Percussion Left Hand Great Plains and Left Hand Great Plains Hunter models)manufactured from March 1, 2017 to December 22, 2017.Barrels with the serial number in the range of A595960–A599026are subject to this recall.Safety Warning: Lyman has determined that some black powder rifles and pistols could, under certain circumstances, develop separation in the breech plug, which may pose a potential safety hazard.Please do not load or use any rifles or pistols subject to this recall.How to Identify Rifles and Pistols Subject to the Recall:Find the serial number where the barrel meets the tang, opposite of the lock. The serial number has the letter “A” followed by a series of 6 numbers.Image 1: Serial Number Location on a Rifle Image 2: Serial Number Location on a Pistol Action to be Taken:If the serial number is within the range of A595960–A599026, immediately discontinue any use of this product.Please contact the Lyman Customer Service Department by emailingcustomerservice@lymanproducts.comor by calling 800-225-9626 Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. EST. You will be asked to provide your contact information, serial number, and either the part number or model to process the return.Anyone outside the U.S.A. who is in possession of a black powder rifle or pistol within the recall range should contact your local distributor immediately.Shipping:Upon receipt of the information provided to customer service, Lyman will send instructions and packaging to ship the product to Lyman for replacement at no cost to the customer. Lyman will provide a replacement barrel and tang with instructions or will replace the barrel and tang at Lyman and return the firearm. Please only return your rifle, pistol, or barre land tang with the provided shipping tags and boxes

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    That would scare the crap outta me! No way I would shoot that. I don’t believe in taking unnecessary risks.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Master
    Just a guess with limited info but maybe they had a problem with the breeching process, over torque/stress in fixture? Hope you are given a new (good) replacement.

That is unsettling, I wouldn’t shoot it. I would explore other options about replacement of the barrel. There’s no fix for it. Remember, it’s basically a pipe bomb at your forehead.

Boolit Master
    Contact Lyman. Give them serial number and pictures.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I purchased this barrel around 2010 so it's not part of the more recent breech plug recall. Yeah, there's no way of knowing how deep the crack goes but there's no external hint of the crack. I've never seen anything like it before. Could have been introduced by over-torquing the breech plug at the factory. Haven't heard back from Lyman yet. I'll try to get someone on the phone tomorrow and see what they can do or how they want to proceed.

Boolit Master

One things for sure. Buddy, you know how to clean a barrel.

Boolit Master
    + 1 to E47 that thing is squeaky clean

Dunno what I think of this - combine the recall with the borescope its kinda scary
    Take away the endoscope ? you woulda never knew (unless it blew)

Somebody posted a few days ago about a CVA blowing the nipple drum out - said its a common fault - I never seen it nor heard of it - I have shot CVA's a lot and for a long time, the nipple drum and barrel threads have all been very neatly put together - cant figure how you would blow one of those out ----UNLESS ---- someone had previously monkeyed with it OR fitted a replacement drum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast