RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would you shoot this barrel?

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd think of it like this: The cost of the barrel is less than the cost of a trip to the hospital.

Boolit Master

I have a new left hand 50 cal barrel in stock. It looks like a drop in for a T/C Hawkins, includes sights and under rib.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    I have a new left hand 50 cal barrel in stock. It looks like a drop in for a T/C Hawkins, includes sights and under rib.
    Thanks, but I have a new barrel already on the way from Lyman.

Boolit Buddy
    I was told that the problem they had with the crack(s) was from the assembly of the breechplug to the bbl. Simple overtightening. Probably done with an airwrench set up of some sort in todays factory settings.
    Slightly out of spec shoulders on the bbl or plug or both and then needing some extra crunch & crush to make them allaign the flats where needed. I could see where a soft steel bbl being nothing more than a tube could start to twist and set up a fracture point.

That's how it was explained to me, and me not being a real life mechanical engineer type, just passing the info along.

Upon seeing those cracks, I'd have cut a couple inches off the breech and set the bbl back. It takes some work.

Getting an orig length factory replacement bbl for a drop in is way easier though.

Boolit Bub
    First thing I'm going to do with the new barrel is run the bore scope down and have a look. I'll post a pic of the new barrel for comparison. It's really amazing how much the bore scope magnifies the images. It makes the machine work look so crude you wonder why patches don't shred. Yet with the naked eye the tooling marks are barely visible.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a plan ,a good plan/Ed

Boolit Master
    Yep, I had a lot of mirror bores till I bought one of those things!

Boolit Master

I would use that barrel after shortened and re breached for building another gun , after cutting off the crack , tap and breach get a stock to inlet , it already has the barrel tenons and sights , time for a custom build of your own .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123