Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Oblate barrel land erosion?

Oblate barrel land erosion?

Ran across a video where the poster was talking about an enfield of his and mentioned oblate land erosion where the corner of each rifling land was worn away due to the pressure of the bullets rotation. Curious if this effect extends throughout the entire bbl or not. My bbl slug looks decent with lands and grooves even if they only mic at .001- .0015 deep but looking at my rifle’s muzzle you can see where there is a corner on one side of the land but the other side kinda disappears until the corner of the next land. I’ve never heard of this before but my enfield dates from 1942 and who knows how many rounds it’s fired. I would be willing to cut the bbl down if it would give me a better bbl. Thoughts?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E1FEC41C-90A5-4634-AD38-7F6688A4F85F.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	284965
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 06-23-2021 at 11:35 AM.

Boolit Master
    I would hate to ruin a good "shooter" just to see if that condition extends throughout the barrel. Perhaps you could get the use of a bore scope and scratch that curious itch?

Good thought. I’m still playing with my lead bullets for now. Just wondering if anyone else has come up against this issue with these old milsurp rifles.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    How does the rifle shoot accuracy wise at different distances with different loadings?
    What is the condition of the brass after having been fired?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

All my too small or too light lead boolits more or less keyhole but .308 180 gr shot true with a 1.5 inch group at 40 yds. The rub is that to use my rifle in my clubs BAM matches I have to use lead ammo. I imagine that a .311-.312 jacketed bullet would do fine [can’t find any though]. I’m trying to build some .314-.315 190 gr lead boolits to play with. Have some .321 but no way to make them smaller.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 06-22-2021 at 09:01 PM.

Boolit Master
    The Brits used a pull through from the breech to the muzzle. I think the term is "cord worn". The rope collects all the dirt and is very abrasive. My Long Branch Parker Hale sporter has a two groove barrel. Lands and grooves are nice and sharp. My Fazerkerly No.4MKII I've had for over 30 years and really don't know how many rounds down the tube I'd put through it. Slightly rounded rifling. Never let the barrel get really hot and no cordite loads since I've had it. Frank

Typically the drive side of the lands wears like what your describing. As the bullet spins down the bbl there's a drive side/pressure side of the land that takes the rotational torque/force of the bullet. Then there's the back side of the land that is there from cutting of the lands that doesn't have the same forces applied to it.

A picture of a bbl I took off of a S&W 586 that had 275,000+ rounds thru it, mostly lead. As you can see you can clearly seethea distinct line of the trailing edge of the lands. The drive side is pretty much wore flat.
    [IMG][/IMG]

You can click on the picture above and save it & then open it in paint. Increase the size of the picture 500%+ and you'll still only see the lines of the trailing edge of the lands.