This is an original recipe of mine, actually 2 recipes. The blend of different nuts makes it much better tasting than the 1 nut nut milks found on the supermarket shelf. Don't scrimp on the blending, blend the heck out of it to turn as much of the nuts as possible into the finished product. You can't blend it too much.

Feel free to give the recipe to folks who will benefit from it. I just ask that it retain the name I've given it. Enjoy!

Brians Milk Substitute

Great for folks who are lactose intolerant, or just for those who prefer not to drink cows milk. This is the best milk substitute I’ve tasted. Makes great chocolate milk too!

Keto note: If you’re in ketosis pay attention to the things you shouldn’t put in the mix. Yes we can consume this in moderation minus those ingredients. It’s not zero carbs, but it’s not high carbs either unless we consume a lot of it. Nuts are on the keto menu, just go easy with it. It’s definitely far more keto friendly than cows milk with it’s milk sugar. Cows milk is a no-no for us.

Ingredients:

6 raw almonds
6 raw hazelnuts
6 raw walnut halves
<1 cup Raw Cashews
1 medjool date (less pit) (omit if you’re in ketosis)
3 cups water, divided into 1 cup/2 cups
Vanilla extract (optional)
sweetener (optional)

Put 1 cup of water in a blender. Take a 1 cup measure and add the 1st 3 ingredients. Add enough raw cashews to fill the measure. Add to blender. Add the date. Blend until virtually nothing remains of the nuts, this will take a few minutes and the mixture may get warm, when I’m done blending it it’s steaming. Add remaining water, mix.

Taste. If desired add optional ingredients to taste. For a creamier taste add a few more cashews. Strain if desired*, cool and serve.

*I never strain it. I know that it doesn't come from an udder so I don't expect it to be pure liquid like mammal milk.

Note that the date adds complexity to the taste and is a sweetener.

Recipe #2 6/23/19

I’ve been trying variations of the above recipe and I think this is the best yet. Better even than the original. If there is a problem with it it’s due to the nutrients of the nuts being instantly available to the gut.

8 raw almonds
8 raw hazelnuts
6 raw walnut halves
3 raw brazil nuts
6 raw Macadamia nuts (I view this number as optional but if you like them they are delicious in the mix. They add oil and yes it can be tasted.)

<1 cup Raw Cashews
3 medjool dates (less pits) (not if your in ketosis)
1/3 cup raw coconut chips (unsweetened, untoasted) (not if you’re in ketosis)
3 cups water, divided into 1 cup portions

If you can get the nuts with the brown skins attached that’s exactly what you want for maximum nutrition. Those skins are loaded with anti-oxidants. Sure it’ll discolor the product slightly, but it didn’t come out of an udder so what color should it be?

Put 1 cup of water in a blender. Take a 1 cup measure and add the 1st 5 ingredients. Add enough raw cashews to fill the measure. Add all of the dry ingredients to the blender. Blend on “high” until virtually nothing remains of the nuts. At some point using a small amount of the 2nd cup of water wash down the sides of the blender bowl. I trickle it in. You want to get the job done but not use a lot of the water. Continue blending. This will take a few minutes and the mixture may get warm, when I’m done blending in the Vita-Mix it’s steaming. Pour into a container, it will be quite thick. In the Vita-Mix it takes a few minutes, in a kitchen blender it could take much longer, but don’t be in a hurry, you really do want it completely blended. Using more of the 2nd cup of water wash down the sides of the blender and run it on low to clean the bowl. Pour the rest of the water into your container holding the thick mixture. Run on low, and then pour it into your storage container. Cover and shake to mix, then refrigerate. It’ll keep for at least a few days to a week. Shelf life all depends on how many hands are opening the refrigerator to check out what has changed inside it in the last 5 minutes.