WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Converting boolit drawings to 3d models

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    HollowPoint - It's just that in OpenSCAD there is no "draw a line" command, you issue text commands that are programming-like commands to get it to create 2D and 3D shapes.

Different CAD packages are different OpenSCAD's commands are listed at https://openscad.org/cheatsheet/ if you want to take a look.

Friend used to make a very costly AutoCAD plugin for the Architecture / building / Landscaping crowd, so I am familiar with that package. It would do cost estimates for wire, plumbing, etc. for Architecture.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Hi all.

I'm pretty good with math, what I need is to be able to get a formula off that that will tell me what the curve is for the boolit's nose, so I can talk my CAD package into approximating it. (Done Tensor Calc, Z plane transforms, tons of calculus of other sorts, this is "just" trig so it should be simple if I had that origin nailed down...

Mr_Sheesh,

Maybe this is what you need.

This formula will calculate the y axis at any point along the centerline (x axis) of a bullet ogive.

Let R = The radius of the ogive curve.

Let B= The y axis at the base of the ogive.

Let X= A distance from the base of the ogive.

Let Y = the y axis at the point X on the centerline of the bullet ogive.

Then:

Y = SqRt( R² - X²) + B - R

Hope this helps.

You can re-arrange the values to find the x axis distance when the y axis is known.

X = SqRt( R² - ( Y + R - B )² )
    Last edited by Tom Myers; 06-24-2021 at 10:20 AM. Reason: clarity
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

The only "cad" software I'm aware of that's for "artists" is blender. Great for free form where you don't have to be accurate closer than it looks right. Autocad is for architects and engineers, and I suppose we are artists in the same way programmers are artists. I'd argue that the genious plate generator Ammo Mike developed is a case in point. That's a piece of art!

I don't have the patience for programming or OpenScad.(it's an old dog/new tricks sort of thing) I suppose if I wanted to create a similar program for boolits as Mike did for plates....I might want to learn more than the rudimentary skills I learned and mostly forgot in OpenScad.

I drew that boolit in about 20 minutes....and that snails pace is only because I only started learning the 3D side of Autocad last September when I bought my Creality CR10v2. In Building design, 3d is mostly for rich customers who can't envision a building in 2D. I say rich because 3D drawings of buildings done realistically with texture, lighting, and shadows take a much longer time. Most customers are not willing to spend the money. The trades who actually build the buildings use 2D drawings, except for the rare detail you can't see in 2D.

What's neat about designing your boolit in Autocad, is that I only had to draw the section through the center line in 2D. Make it a polyline (all lines and arcs become one closed entity). Then rotate it 360 degrees about it's axis, and voila! A perfect engineered, correct 3D solid.....but it can't be another size or shape without redoing the 2D polyline. To me that's the only point of doing it in Openscad.

I printed your boolit only to see if the drawings from Noe were correct and whether I had the right idea about the arc on the ogee. They were pretty darn close.
    Last edited by GWS; 06-24-2021 at 01:47 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    3D printed projectiles might be interesting for someone wanting to load mouse fart loads, to shoot in their garage or basement.

Thank you, folks, I think maybe that will do me, have to get a real computer going to test it though. (The current netbook is an old doddering piece of slow hardware, Core 2, not even a Duo. Lag central...) I can't even run OpenSCAD on this thing, pretty sad. Getting set to order a new machine, in a day or two.

I just went through that this month. I had an HP Envy 4 years old that gave up the ghost. I liked it enough that I ordered another in their custom build section of their website. Did that last time too. Was willing to wait the month. But it didn't come....instead they sent a notice that it would be 2 more weeks, and another week went by and they still hadn't started on it.....so I canceled. Went looking for another solution minus the custom build and long build window, and found an MSI that even has an Nvidea Quadro 1000 video card, which means for the first time I can even run Autocad on a 15" laptop. It came in 4 days. Works great....it's a Core i7 ninth generation with 16gigabytes of ram. Very happy so far. And a lot cheaper than typical $2000 laptop cad workstations.

Down side compared to the HP? just no SD card slots. But the SD card slot was one of the things that quit on my HP. And I found you can find plug-in SD card readers for cheap.....and if they go out just get another instead of a whole computer. the one I found reads more kinds of SD's as well.
    Last edited by GWS; 06-25-2021 at 12:53 AM.

I have been using IOGear USB to SD and Micro SD dongles for years, they have worked well for me. Until a family member stole too much from me, years ago, I was set up to be able to move data from almost any media / format to almost any media/format, have parallel port hard drives and cd-roms and PCMCIA docks and floppy drives, all the stuff needed for old machines and usb goodies o'course for new.

That MSI sounds about like what I need, Core i5 2nd gen with 8GB RAM has been the 'fast' machine here, Coffee Lake with a good video card would make things far nicer! And for one game I play, where the video drivers on the old machine were 1500+ days old, I might be able to play the game with over 10 FPS or so, "might" be a smidge less laggy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12