WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: 9mm "Glock bulge" ?

Banned

9mm "Glock bulge" ?

I've got about 500 cartridges built with range brass from a local cop range. The brass is mostly a variety of popular brands like Speer and Federal and all are in excellent condition after cleaning. The cartridge build is either an Acme or Precision 125 grain where both are 125 grain, hi-tec coated, and mic at .356". The OAL on both are 1.30", the powder is W231, the primers used are Federal and Winchester. The dies are Lee carbide and a Lee taper crimp die was used (not the Lee FCD). These completed rounds fire well in a Ruger APCompact, and also a TNW ASR PCC, and a Ruger PCC, all with pretty good accuracy. There are no high pressure indications on the spent cases. There were a few FTE stovepipes. Here are the cartridges and a Lyman 9mm gauge ...

... here's the Acme cartridge failing in the Lyman gauge ...

... and the Precision cartridge failing to a lesser extent ...

I also ran these failed cartridges in a Lee 9mm FCD. No change, they all fail the same.

Here's the cartridges plunked in the RAPc chamber ...

... factory Speer 9mm round that worked fine in the Lyman gauge ...

... handload I built using new Starline brass with powder coated lead 125 grain bullet that also loaded fine in the Lyman gauge ...

Is this the "Glock bulge" issue with these cartridges, and if so, are they okay to keep shooting or is there a 9mm cartridge bulge buster fix?

Boolit Master
    As long as they fit the chamber, don't get too excited about not fitting a gauge. The Glock bulge issue is more of a 40 S&W issue in early bbls. You'll recognize it- it looks like "wow- what is that? "!
    Loren

Boolit Master
    The Glock BULGE is a smiley faced bulge that easily noticed in the shape of where the feed ramp is machined into the chamber as the cartridge is fed up. Then when it fired the case ahead of solid section expands into this unsupported area and leave a pronounced smiley faced expanded area on the web section. Just a general expanding of the case IS NOT the Glock Bulge. Glock chambers are generous so there will generally be more expanding of the case ahead of the solid portion of the case which is normal. ALL CASES expand some. Some more than others but they expand. If the cartridges go into the barrel, headspace correctly and fall out you are good.
    Where is the BULGE in the cases you have pictured other than normal?

Boolit Master

you could get a push through full length sizer for the brass or do what I did to solve both the 5.56 and 9 bulge, I got a rollsizer. not cheep but you can load the brass in the feeder and walk away, come back in 15 minutes and everything is full length sized.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    I think you could give them just a touch more crimp. Not to hold the bullet, but to get rid of the last of the belling/expanding.

Boolit Man
    Lee Factory Crimp Dies are your friend in the battle against the bulge

Boolit Master
    i believe that the "glock smile" was only found on unsupported .40 S&W brass.

Boolit Buddy
    I think those rounds are too long. Are you using a really big powder? If you have the space just seat them deeper. I check 10 rounds and if one doesn't plunk in my barrel or gauge I seat deeper. Just keep an eye on the volume and don't seat too deep for your powder. I would seat those rounds .040 further down (if I had the case volume to do so) and check the reliability then.

I don't think it's a condition of the case that's hanging you up but rather that you are loading too long. Account for significant variability in bullets.

The "Glock Bulge" died midway through the Gen 3 series if pistols when Glock made subtle changes in the feeding ramp and chamber. This led to fully supported cases. The support ended the Glock bulge concerns. Let your guns chamber be your guide. I don't see anything wrong with any of your cartridges. If they feed into your gun they will go bang when you want them to. Just make sure your sizing die is set as low as possible in your press.

I'll see if I can find the pics of the feed ramps of the Gen1 through 3. The picture illustrates the unsupported issues which led to the Glock bulge business.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAD

2nd post shows how the Glock barrel changed to fully supporting the case to the webbing. I don't think Glock ever acknowledged the issue.

I load virtually all my 9MM 125 gr bullets 1.1" and have had no issues. Like already mentioned your cartridges appear to be quite long.

Take Care

Bob
    Last edited by robertbank; 06-21-2021 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Adding comment and source for pictures.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

Let alone the "unsupported area" that creates the "Glock smile", Glock pistols were designed with a notable excess of tolerance supposedly to increase dependability/reliability in chambering. I had a few hundred .40 cases (once fired) that had this bulge. I sized, loaded and shot with no issues. I recently acquired an aftermarket barrel with closer tolerances to evade overworking brass in hopes to use a few times. But like rockshooter mentioned, if it fits in chamber-should be fine.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Buddy

The only personal experience I've had with the bulge came from a SCCY 9mm. It's a long story how I came to own it but a very short story on how fast I got rid of it. It bulged new Starline cases that were loaded lighter than max and well short of +P. The barrel had an unsupported spot by the feed ramp which corresponded exactly with the bulge on the brass.

rfd. As stated above I'd question the seating depth on the failed loads.

Banned

Yep, y'all were on the money - bullet seat depth issue. Thank you!

Acme before at 1.130" ...

Now at 1.050" (not a compressed load) ...

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    rod - don't feel like the res headed step child - I have had similar issues at times with the 9mm - I don't load a lot of them and it sees like enough time goes by between the times I do that it is a "re-learning" process. Your photos are great and clearly show the issues you can run in to.

Banned

Thanks BBB. It was only last year that I first ever started with 9mm for pistol and carbine. I didn't know much about this cartridge, but I certainly do know lots more now thanks to you folks.

In the last several years I spent a lot of time thinking about what guns and cartridges I both need and want. I've had SO many varied firearms over the decades. I wanted to simplify and be direct about what's needed for what task, and that meant a lot had to go. Now, and not counting flintlock guns, I'm down to only guns in .45-70 and 9mm for centerfire, and of course the .22 rimfire. Very pleased, and now more so that I know better about 9mm cartridges. Much obliged y'all, again.

Boolit Master

EGW makes a large ogive round checker.

https://www.egwguns.com/case-gauge-a...-9-mm-7-hole-1

I bought the 50 round version.

Since I size to .357 most normal gauges choke on the bullet diameter.

I load for a plethora of 9mm firearms so dropping them in a barrel is a non-starter.
    NRA Benefactor.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post

I load for a plethora of 9mm firearms so dropping them in a barrel is a non-starter.
    That was my problem too. I just settled on 1.1" OAL for all my 125 gr bullets and solved the issue. I quit worrying about chamber checking etc for bullets I use often. It just became a waste of time. The only variation to the theme is I do have some 147 gr bullets to load this year so I just went to the Lyman manual, took the OAL setting for their 147 gr bullet and settled on that for the cast and jacketed bullets. They all feed through several of my 9MM guns.

I have to confess I don't get to anal about issues with the 9MM. I use both Dillon and Lee Sizing dies, along with each of their seating dies. Both company's sizing dies manage to deal with the assortment of range brass I end up reloading at any given time. Over the Chrono or on the target I have not noticed a hint of daylight between the results. Through my PCC's I can manage 4" groups at 100 yards with an assortment of different cases using a cheap 1-4X scope. Pleanty good enough for Gov't work. I do think sometimes folks tend to over think loading for this cartridge. It has the aero dynamics of a pointed brick and it would not be my choice if I had a chance to shoot Free Pistol in the Olympics. Your mileage may vary.

Take Care

Bob
    Last edited by robertbank; 06-22-2021 at 08:51 PM.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

My new RCBS 9mm size die seems to have a tapered tungsten insert. Not a ring like my older 70's 45acp die.

The new 9mm set has an M type expander & has a black coating. https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...tc.317/&page=3

Boolit Master
    I have problems with glocked out 9s in my Smith 929. That uses dedicated brass . All my others don't care. All the pics I see should fire fine. When you have a round stick in the chamber after you pop it open you will see the high spot and actually feel it with your fingers. There can not be a buldge buster for 9x19, the case is tapered but a 9x18mak buster will help . If they fit and ship , send em

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by funnyjim014 View Post
    ... the case is tapered but a 9x18mak buster will help ..
    Finding a Lee 9mm Makarov FCD is like trying to find hen's teeth, these dayze.

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    Finding a Lee 9mm Makarov FCD is like trying to find hen's teeth, these dayze.
    Unless you live in an area where there is a significant number of gen 1 and Gen2 Glocks the old Glock bulge is history. The Gen3 - Gen5 Glock barrels all support the case pretty much as much as all other 9MM pistols. The issue is being over sold on this thread. Glock chambers are generous to facilitate use of dirty ammo and ammo of questionable history. Your resizing die will solve that issue. The 9MM is pretty specific as to the cartridge OAL. Again I have found 1.1" using 125 gr bullets of all shapes seems to load reliably in all my 9MM pistols. Depending on your revolver cylinder OAL can be of no concern.

If you have your resizing die set property in your press, eg as far down as you can set it, your die will resize the cartridge case . The OP's issue was OAL of his cartridges not the Glock bulge.

If your 9MM pistol is:

FN Hi-Power
    S&W M&P
    Tanfoglio
    CZ
    SIG 226/320
    Walther PPQ
    FN Striker Fired
    Glock
    Beretta 92 Series
    Beretta CX4 Storm
    Ruger PPC
    CZ Scorpian
    S&W R8 Revovler

An OAL of 1.1" cartridge resized on Dillon or Lee Resizing Die should load with no issues frommy personal experience. Also from experience if you don't remove your belling to the point where the loaded cartridge case feels flat where thr case meets the bullet, ie some belling remains you are going to have reliability issues for certain.

Check the OAL
    Check the absence of belling.

Good Luck with the 9MM .

Take Care

Bob