Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hopkins and Allen .25-20 Single Shot problem?

It's a real early s/n, that's for sure. I need to review all my dead tree sources. The revelation that the receiver design predates the M&H bankruptcy opens a whole new rabbit-hole to dive into.
    Cognitive Dissident

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32#4.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	286121Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32#6.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	286122Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32#8.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	286123
    This is what I have. The numbers for the receiver, barrel, and forearm all match.
    I like the extractor shown on the other one shown instead of just the blade mine has. Having that finger would make it so the chamber is not open on the side. I see it also has a wider base for the screw. I actually made the one in mine, and machined it so there is a wider base. Even wider than the other above.
    When my original would be drawn out by working the action, it would move towards the outside, slipping off the rim of the casing. It was just a flat piece of basically 10ga thickness steel. .134 thick.

Yeah, that's the weakness of that flat extractor. I have a medium frame in .22LR which was lovingly reworked (and relined) by some long-ago gunsmith. He made a new extractor that is a very close fit in the slot, and of all the ones I have with that extractor it's the only one that works.

A crying shame that I got it on Gunbroker for a mere pittance. Seller started it low with no reserve, and I was the only bidder.

Another thing he did was to eliminate the takedown feature by reaming the taper pin hole and driving in a solid taper pin. Solid.

I want to thank you guys for chiming in on this. Blown a few cobwebs out, it has.

The internet is a wonderful tool, ain't it?
    Cognitive Dissident

Here's a mighty pretty rifle on Gunbroker that I get as as 2932. Seller reports that it has the 6:00 extractor and s/n 11767.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/905995356

At my age and state of decrepitude, the starting bid is too rich for me.......
    Cognitive Dissident

I believe this one will be like the M 925 that has been on Gunbroker for at least the past 5 years with a opening bid of $ 900. That gun from Milan, OH has been there forever and the seller hasn’t dropped the opening bid, these guns aren’t worth that kind of money.

Jedman

I've saw it on there forever too. Yes, too rich for me.

Boolit Master
    It’s in pretty good shape, but for less than that you could buy a C Sharps Arms replica that is actually practical to shoot. Much better collector’s item potential, too. It’ll be like the Varner Favorite; only a handful sold compared to the vast number of originals.

I have to say that Mr. L. F. Grant is (was?) a much better checkerer than he was (is?) an engraver.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123