Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: So I got my custom push-through sizing die in .731

Boolit Master

So I got my custom push-through sizing die in .731

I posted in the forums hereabouts looking for a volunteer to make a push-through sizing die in .729. I quickly switched to .731 after slugging my barrel. I would say who did but I'm not sure he wants to be identified as yet. He could be bombarded with work he may not want. His work is superb and he's as fast as the speed of light and reasonable doesn't begin to describe what he charged me. He made the die, the ram/punch, and the locking ring. Do you know how hard it is to find a 1-1/4-12 locking ring? And how much they are when you do? This thing is absolutely hilariously large! It feels like I'm holding a threaded hand grenade.

He quickly told me he wanted to do it in 1-1/4-12 instead of 7/8-14, as I originally wanted, which was fine. In fact, it was more than fine. This thing is a jeweled brute. He opened up the lead in and then it narrows it to its final size so it's easier to start the slug. The threads are perfect. I haven't had a chance to run one of my bombs through it yet but I'm sure they'll be perfect.

I have a lot of my stuff nitrocarburized (Black Nitride is the trade name) by H&M metal processing up in North East Ohio. It's a family-owned company that does pretty much everyone's Black Nitride, no matter what they call it. You'd be shocked at who's work they do on the sly. Anyway, I think I'm going to throw this die in the next time I have a gun or two I want to be treated. I've had a few other dies treated and it makes them completely indestructible, they never rust of course and they're slick as a whistle. This thing deserves it.

If he gives me the OK, I'll post who it was.
    [

How about some pictures!

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Machinists, like plumbers and electricians, make the world work.

Two of my favorite YouTube channels are...

the dry-wit hilarious home machinist This Old Tony https://www.youtube.com/c/ThisOldTony

and ABOM79 -- who is an artist in precision Big Metal.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Abom79

Fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty1776 View Post
    Machinists, like plumbers and electricians, make the world work.

Two of my favorite YouTube channels are...

the dry-wit hilarious home machinist This Old Tony https://www.youtube.com/c/ThisOldTony

and ABOM79 -- who is an artist in precision Big Metal.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Abom79

Fascinating.
    I've learned a lot from those guys also. Another "must watch" for anyone wanting to expand their machining knowledge is Joe Pieczynski.

Post a pic for us, Nutz.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BC17A View Post
    I've learned a lot from those guys also. Another "must watch" for anyone wanting to expand their machining knowledge is Joe Pieczynski.
    All the above (all posts up to now, not just the one quoted) plus MrPete222 (also answers to TubalCain) and Blondihacks. Both are especially good for beginning wannabe machinists.

Boolit Master
    Here are the pics of the ginormous die I got. I wish I had taken one in my hand to show a size reference. Take my word for it, you can put your finger through it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	die3.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	285183Click image for larger version. 

Name:	die5.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	285184
    [

Boolit Master

Thanks for the pics. I was wondering how they did that and I see they went to the big threads for the press. Knew the OD on normal dies for the sizer was about .700"./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Man, that's some nice looking work. It reminds me of the pld 12 ga RCBS shotshell reloading die they used to make.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!