RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: 475 flat top punch?

Boolit Bub

475 flat top punch?

Looking for a flat / non-molded .475 (or close) top punch for RCBS or Lyman sizer. I've got a flat #344, but too small for my usage w/ 477-640HP.
    I'd really like a flat for versatility. In other words, useful for WFN, LFN, etc., in addition to HP's.
    Been looking at the usual vendor web sites, but none specify "flat" - at least as far as I can tell. One told me he'd never seen a flat punch.
    Noe sells them in .458 (may be custom?), but out of stock.
    Any help with Lyman / RCBS part numbers - & maybe stocking re-sellers, greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!
    "Sometimes you make eight - sometimes you hit dirt!"

Regards - GCF

Boolit Mold
    Here's a similar thread:
    top punch replacement

I'm brand new to this hobby of bullet casting, and I confess I'm surprised there isn't a database or chart that not only lists the top punches, but describes the shape and dimensions in some way. Maybe that's a good community project; I'm sure there are enough mechanical engineers and draftsmen involved in the hobby to be able to produce a set of drawings of top punches. Maybe even CAD models.

Boolit Master
    I found a galvanized nail the right size to insert in the sizer, filed the head nice and smooth, then cut the nail to the correct length, inserted it and tightened the set screw. Seems to work for me. If you need a larger flat head you could probably epoxy a small washer to the nail head and file or sand off any excess hardened epoxy. GF

Boolit Grand Master
    take one of your other top punches that are close to the size you want and grind it flat
    should work
    I have done that many times and I also do that with some of my seating dies as needed
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

Buy whatever profile top punch you can get ...RN , SP , RF ... it doesn't matter .
    Fill the nose cavity with J-B Weld or any two part Epoxy (glue or epoxy putty ) and let it set up .
    Sand Flat ... Let cure and Wah Lah ( Voila') you got a flat punch .
    You can even use a hard hot glue to fill the cavity ... it may not last as long as Epoxy... I have some epoxy filled that are 25 years old and going strong .
    Truth is any boolit with a flat spot on it can be sized or seated with a flat seating stem / nose punch and if careful you can even use it on round nose boolits .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Buy whatever profile top punch you can get ...RN , SP , RF ... it doesn't matter .
    Fill the nose cavity with J-B Weld or any two part Epoxy (glue or epoxy putty ) and let it set up .
    Sand Flat ... Let cure and Wah Lah ( Voila') you got a flat punch .
    You can even use a hard hot glue to fill the cavity ... it may not last as long as Epoxy... I have some epoxy filled that are 25 years old and going strong .
    Truth is any boolit with a flat spot on it can be sized or seated with a flat seating stem / nose punch and if careful you can even use it on round nose boolits .
    Gary
    Just took your advice. Some of the punches i ordered dont fit a bullet I have. So I just filled the cavity of a RCBS punch with JB Weld (slow cure type) and will be sanding it flat after it cures.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Just took your advice. Some of the punches i ordered dont fit a bullet I have. So I just filled the cavity of a RCBS punch with JB Weld (slow cure type) and will be sanding it flat after it cures.
    Awesome !
    You can also custom fit a punch that almost fits with a little J-B Weld Epoxy Glue or putty .
    I'm starting to see the value of a flat punch though...it will seat any boolit with a flat spot and I've even seated and sized RN boolits with a flat punch ...didn't hurt the RN at all !
    J-B Weld is your friend !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"