Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Contender 44 mag problems.

Boolit Bub

Contender 44 mag problems.

I received a contender in 44 mag a 222 Remington. 14" barrels, wood fore-end and grip. The 222 barrel has been no problem. The 44 mag barrel, well, I shot it first because I had plenty 44 mag ammo. First issue, within a few rounds the front wood was loose, upon further inspection, the dove tail inserts into the barrel were so loose you could slide the inserts out. Second issue, it came with a Thompson scope and couldn't hit the broad side of the barn. I removed the scope, put it on a 22 Ruger mk 2 that was a known accurate handgun. Same problem, the reticle bounced all over. This all happened 20 years ago, but I've never found out the issue. I sent it back to warranty it and got a new barrel and scope. Same problem happened. Dovetails came loose scope bounced all over. I've since traded the barrel. But has anyone else had this problem. Ammo was factory 180 gr stuff, shot it in a Redhawk. Just curious because I never figured it out.

I have a Super 14 with a 44 mag barrel too. Perhaps we can meet and compare notes.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    Scope?? the 44 probably shook the guts out of it.
    Forend mounts?? I have had plenty of problems with Pachmayr.. one set got very loose in the dovetail indeed.. but with a Wood Forend, properly attached.. no more problems.. even if loose.. The Screw Must Not bottom on the barrel, this is guaranteed to loosen the dovetail.. the Screw needs to hold the forend tightly to the barrel, but Not be Bottomed in the dovetail...I use socket head cap screws and blue Loctite.. Never another problem!!

Boolit Master
    Cousin who used to have a gun shop/pawn shop told me that it was almost a given that the under barrel screw dove tailed into the bottom of the barrel would fall out when given half a chance. He advised me to use Loctite blue on the dovetail and underside of the screw attachment, and then before it set up to line up the fore end to make sure it was centered.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Bub
    I traded the barrel off, long ago, I was young and impatient. But reading another post, I just remembered that contender. And never heard anyone else with same issues. I've basically become a 454 Casull guy, so 44 mag went to the wayside for me. But I do want to buy an encore someday, I think. I gave that 222 contender to my son, along with all my brass and dies. He loves it, and I even got him the 410/45 colt barrel. Which he also loves. I got the gun after my uncle committed suicide, and even though it wasn't that gun, I just didn't like being reminded of a man I knew since I was a toddler, and how his life ended. My son never knew him, so it's used and enjoyed thoroughly by him.

Moderator Emeritus
    I have one barrel with a loose dovetail attachment. It’s not a problem though. When the forend is attached, it is tight.

I like the locktite suggestion though and will probably do that to keep from losing the insert.

Boolit Bub
    I've had a few problem guns over the years. I can think of only 3 I just gave up on.
    I had a llama 9mm 1911 that I really couldn't stand. It was my first center-fire handgun. I was 13. I had sustained an injury and it just didn't work for me. I asked my dad to trade it for a 44 Redhawk. Lol, I think about it now and snicker, at 13 I got my first 44 mag, and loved it. But that Llama I just didn't have confidence in it. Number 2 was that contender, and that 44 mag barrel just again I lost faith in. And strangely the 3rd was an Anaconda 44 mag with 4" Barrel. Colt Custom Shop, beautiful gun. And couldn't group worth spit. I could shoot 1" groups with my freedom arms 454 at 25 yards and I swear that anaconda was more like 4 foot groups it was awful. And had a smooth action, light trigger. But colt had it magna ported. At my request they put a normal 4" barrel and it was a 3-4" group gun. Not perfect, but acceptable. So I guess I didn't give up other than saying screw the magna ports.

Moderator Emeritus

Screw length is critical to keep it from bottoming out.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Within reason, a loose dovetail can be staked to firm the tension. I've had a loose one on a Contender and after the initial setting with loc-tite (which may have been enough anyway), I staked the joint with a punch applied to the corners. So far so good, decades later.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Within reason, a loose dovetail can be staked to firm the tension. I've had a loose one on a Contender and after the initial setting with loc-tite (which may have been enough anyway), I staked the joint with a punch applied to the corners. So far so good, decades later.
    Which is Why
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Screw length is critical to keep it from bottoming out.
    Right
    No stake is required if you tighten the screw to snug the Forend against the Barrel as said by garandsrus

Edit; Again.. The Pachmayr gave terrible problems, and certainly loosened the Dovetail.. not doing that again!!!

Boolit Master
    Good point on staking the joint. I remember that my cousin also suggested that, but I was not sure if the foreend would still be lined up right; so I just did the blue.

Boolit Master

The Leopold, T/C and Burris that I have are absolutely first rate. Never given me any trouble. A 14" .35Rem with a Leupold 2X7 and a 10" .44Mag with a Burris 2X have given great service for over 30yrs. Nothing has ever loosened up or "bottomed out". But then I put a Pachmayr forend on them when I got them.

Sometimes Ya just have bad luck.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master
    JoeJames, the reason for the set up with he loc-tite. Goo'd it in place and when all was right with the world I staked it.

Boolit Master
    JoeJames, the reason for the set up with he loc-tite. Goo'd it in place and when all was right with the world I staked it.
    Yes. I swear there are times I reckon I need to be bored for the simples. Makes perfect sense.

SSK sells new dovetails that seem to be stronger than the old ones. I buy them several at a time. I change barrels several times in a day at a silhouette match (one frame four barrels). I use a custom fore end and it attaches directly to the barrel.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Man
    The trouble I had with my one and only TC 44 magnum Contender was the lug wallowed out the hole in the grip. When shot, it would not hold a group because of the wobble in the wallowed out hole for the lug. The scope was fine, but the groups were lousy. I never again owned a gun with a lug and wooden grip to hold on to. Give me a grip frame or forget it.

Boolit Master
    Most of my T/C barrels have loose screw bases in the dovetail. They are held in place with the for-end installed and need to be a little loose to allow the screw to center. If the same fore-grip is going to be used all the time, you can secure the insert with Loctite or stake it in place if you wish. I have never had one of the bases fall completely out in all these years of shooting Contenders. If it's that loose, somebody had boogered it up.

Boolit Buddy
    Never had any problems with any of my barrels, guess lucky so far.
    Scope and mounts have always been Leupold either 2x or 4x EER
    models mounted on the 10" Herretts, and Leupolds on the JDJ Barrels

-Rock

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
    Most of my T/C barrels have loose screw bases in the dovetail. They are held in place with the for-end installed and need to be a little loose to allow the screw to center. If the same fore-grip is going to be used all the time, you can secure the insert with Loctite or stake it in place if you wish. I have never had one of the bases fall completely out in all these years of shooting Contenders. If it's that loose, somebody had boogered it up.
    Agree, My experience as well! But only since 1978 or so
    As Grip post and Screws.. Owning Contenders and Dan Wesson... Never ever a Problem... But again blue loctite on all threads... I am after all, an Old Harley Guy