Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Single Action Self Defense

Boolit Buddy
    Let’s hope the Zombie Apocalypse is still far off. I agree with you. If you have a firearm you shoot well, and you’re confident in your ability to use it effectively, that’s the one you should carry. Too many people believe they can purchase proficiency.

Howard

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I'd played with a friends' quad 357, 70s-80s 4-shot derringer, cannot remember its' official name. Trigger pull was pretty tough.

As he said, he wasn't sure if it would hurt more, or less, to stand in front of it vs. behind it...

Intimidating in front of it tho LOL

Anyways I'd put that up there in the category of "non ideal SD weapons", definitely.

Single action or double action, just so long as it's a large diameter short revolver.

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3784.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	285367Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3783.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	285368
    This gun comes along when I am walking in the woods. 3 1/2" Ruger .44 Mag, Stainless steel. Not my first choice for serious social interactions, but I shoot it a darned sight better than I throw rocks.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

For the longest time I was going to get a single action 357 with a 3.5 inch barrel and birds head grips, but I ended up buying a Remington 1911 in 45acp. I'm glad I got the 1911, but do love any cowboy type weapon.

I do have an 1858 that I try to shoot cowboy like; the thing is so long, it practically points itself.

If I was using one of my single actions in a defensive way; I think my thoughts would be on the front sight- not Golly, I wish I had my 1911 or DA revolver or Glock...
    Assuming there were thoughts to be had at that moment.
    As a quick youth, using the left thumb cocking method I managed to clear the bowling pin table in 5 seconds a few times- and could hit a gallon jug at 100 yards offhand with my 4-5/8" Ruger Blackhawk. 41 very often. That confidence in single actions remains to this day- but my marksmanship....
    Well......

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    HR Funk,

As a lover of big bore wheel guns, I really enjoyed your video!

The best part was where you resorted to instinctive shooting that transitioned to aimed fire by the fourth shot as you simultaneously retreated from the “threat”.

While I am a confirmed believer in large bore wheel guns and well practiced DA shooting with them, I am certainly opened minded enough to enjoy realistic work with a Single Action Revolver!

Thank you

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Great video. Don't forget the "OHHHH-S**T!"-factor. The thought of looking down the barrel of a big ol' single action aimed at me would give me the jitters...maybe others.
    I carry my single action 4-5/8 .357 Rugers when the weather allows concealment. Open carry in Texas is permitted, but at 66 years old, I don't want to show my hand. I prefer single action to semi-autos/double actions...just my comfort zone. The first shot counts. I have many semi's and two Ruger Service/Security Sixes, but my natural point of aim is faster and more on-target with the single actions than any of my other handguns. I don't know why, but I think that maybe (sub-consciously) that I'm acutely aware that my first shot MUST be accurate. I carry a converted 3-screw Blackhawk most of the time, and the larger NM (with the added girth) with confidence.
    Thanks again for the video. I have a beautiful George Lawrence "Gunfighter No. 78" rig , but when out and about in town, I prefer a Mernickle cross-draw or PS6DA riding high on my belt.
    If my first shot doesn't stop you (1+ second?), shame on me.

Boolit Master
    I was lucky enough to find a 4 5/8" Ruger flatop Bisley in .44 special, but my wife immediately claimed it. We both shot SASS for 10 years, she with a pair of Ruger .45 Blackhawks, a 4 5/8" strongside and 7.5" crossdraw. I have a pair of .45 Colt 4 5/8" stainless old Vaqueros for both positions. We were not the best shots, by a long ways, but I would not want to come after my wife with her carrying a single action since she has fired more than a couple thousand rounds of non-powder puff loads through them. I always shot one handed (SASS Duelist category) but if I were to practice a bit shooting two-handed like HR did, using the same recoiling loads in one of my Rugers and in my 4" S&W 25-5 .45 Colt I don't think that my shot to shot recovery time would be much different, with HR's accuracy levels as a goal. That's my skill level, not yours of course. Mouse fart loads would benefit both guns' recovery time, but why do it? It's probably just as easy to conceal either gun under an untucked summer sportshirt, too with the right holster, but not his 5.5". Bottom line is I really liked this latest offering from HR and look forward to his next one. I learn something from each one he does. GF

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks fellas. You’re all much too kind!

Howard

Yeap, they can certainly be fun to shoot!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    Yeap, they can certainly be fun to shoot!!!

I used to quick-draw shoot all the time, but have gotten away from the single actions, so I'm not very good at it any more.

I do shoot that gun a lot better with modern techniques...

...but quick-draw is fun! Well done!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Actually there is a way to "Buy" proficiency;

Take courses, if needed;

Get a BUNCH of ammo, and then shoot that firearm till you reach proficiency

It's AKA earning that proficiency.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12