Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single Action Self Defense

Boolit Buddy

Single Action Self Defense

This one was fun to make. I hope it’s as much fun to watch!

Howard

Boolit Bub
    Great video, I've always wanted to get a good leather holster for concealed carry for one of my sheriff's model colts. Ive spent many years doing contract work in Afghanistan, I'm a huge believer in situational awareness. In Afghanistan stuff could and did turn ugly no matter how careful you might be. Stateside, any bad situation I've been in could have been avoided had I been more cautious. But, some of us when we are young have more stones than brains.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sheriffsmodel.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	284881

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by usedtobeyoung View Post
    Great video, I've always wanted to get a good leather holster for concealed carry for one of my sheriff's model colts. Ive spent many years doing contract work in Afghanistan, I'm a huge believer in situational awareness. In Afghanistan stuff could and did turn ugly no matter how careful you might be. Stateside, any bad situation I've been in could have been avoided had I been more cautious. But, some of us when we are young have more stones than brains.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sheriffsmodel.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	284881
    Nice SA...........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Bub
    Thank you, I have a nickel one also with Ivory and another blued one with plain wood grips and 2" barrel. It looks plain Jane as can be but also mean looking, and has the black powder frame. I've been lucky to be able to buy stuff like this when the price was somewhat reasonable.

Boolit Master

As usual, good job Howard. Any handgun can make a good defensive weapon if the shooter practices with it enough to become familiar with the weapon he has chosen. I have never shot single actions all that much, so my double action Smith's would be a far better choice for me, but only because of the lack of practice with the single action. The only real drawback to the single action in my mind is that it is slower to reload than a double action or semi-auto. But if you have missed with 6, you are probable in over your head anyway. james

Good video, well worth the time to watch. Recommend!

I'd say that any gun is better than no gun when you need a gun! Single Actions should not be scorned, as the SASS crowd is pretty adept at their use, and can shoot right up there with the semi-auto crowd. Practice, practice, practice with whatever your chosen firearm may be.

DG

Boolit Grand Master
    Great video.
    To the capacity of the gun, any difference between Revolvers and Pistols is more or less academic. The Auto comes into its own when six wasn't enough, it reloads faster and starts out with more rounds. A single action revolver might not be the best choice. But as Ole H. R. demonstrates, if you have to dance with one you brought, you can still keep time to the music: provided you know how to dance.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I enjoyed that.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

thanks for making the video.
    great points/demonstration.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Buddy

I liked the video too.
    Thanks!

Boolit Buddy

Have to agree with everyone else, great video.

Boolit Grand Master
    Seems silly to me to compromise when selecting a SD gun. I have two Colt SAA’s and they are fun, but my last choice for carry.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

If its all you have then he proves it serviceable and effective.

On the other side a lot of westerns the stars could get 10-15 rounds off, never miss, and take out 4 bad guys in less than a second.

Great video. The only problem I can find with it, is now I have to get another Bisley in 44 spl.
    Deplorable infidel

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The SAs also make better impact weapons when they are empty and sustain less damage than an S&W Model 10 similarly abused. I live in a rural area and routinely carry a short- barrel .44-40 or .45 Colt, mostly for their utility with shot loads and other than the first round in rotation wide flat-nosed Cowboy slugs of dead soft lead at standard velocity. When I go into town I don't usually change, because if I believe it is a higher risk area where I should change my EDC, the better thought process is, why do I need to go there?
    Last edited by Outpost75; 06-23-2021 at 10:00 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    Great video! While I do own a few 1911's and enjoy shooting them I rely on a single action revolver as a back up. Only because it takes longer to clear a jam or a malfunction in a semi auto one handed then it does two handed. So I rely on my Ruger Black Hawk 44spl flat top as back up since it takes me less time to draw the Ruger then to identify and then clear the malfunction.
    Though even with speed loaders it is harder for me to load a double action revolver then a single action revolver one handed.

Boolit Grand Master

If I could only learn how to draw , shoot and re-holster a SAA like Alan Ladd does in the movie
    " Shane" I would be one happy camper ... My draw is pathetically slow , my shooting is pretty good but spinning that SAA back into it's holster ... is a big No-Go ... I need a lot of help on that move .
    Video was pretty good ...too much talking . I don't feel unarmed when I'm carrying my Ruger Blackhawk ... No Shane but that was a movie .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Seems silly to me to compromise when selecting a SD gun. I have two Colt SAA’s and they are fun, but my last choice for carry.
    I can think of a long list of firearms that would be way worse than a SA revolver. In just pistols, the single shots like a TC contender would be horrible. A single shot muzzle loading pistol worse than that. One all too common "SD gun" that many buy are the break action Derringer's. While I'm sure somewhere out there is a half decent one, every single one I have ever handled has been the most horrendous firearm I could possibly imagine. For their size, they are super heavy. A pocket sized derringer must be 30 ounces or more. The triggers are borderline non-useable. I don't think I've ever shot one that I wasn't shaking horribly before it fired, and I'm a 6'5" mechanic with very strong hands. A shocking number of them have problems with reliability.

All in all, a DA revolver or the better semi auto pistols are top of the heap for defensive pistols. A SA revolver isn't that horribly far behind though, better than most kinds of pistols.

Boolit Buddy
    Wow! I thought the idea of this thread was about S.A.'s for self defense!!! Not a what would you choose for self defense thread. There's ALWAYS a comment in a thread like this. Sheeeesh!!

Mike

Boolit Master
    To HR Funk.
    Thanks for the video.
    I appreciate the effort.

I do have a third reason someone would choose a single action revolver for defense.
    It’s because they shoot SA revolvers better, can make hits faster.
    I’m one of those people. While I do own a Glock, and have owned 3, I came to them after about 4 decades of shooting SA revolvers. I grew up shooting single action revolvers and did it a lot! I never got fast hits with a Glock. There have been times in my life when I did use a single action revolver for my primary defense of home. I was more than adequately armed.

I’m a firm believer in using what you shoot well. For lots of folks a Glock is a good choice. For me I’ll always be biased towards SA revolvers just because of the amount of time I’ve used them. Of course I accept that if the zombies come I’ll have a hard time keeping up.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast