RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Trimming brass is the worst

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    Sounding hopeful. The oversized pilot retention hole was/is not hugely oversized, but when the set screw is tightened down you will notice the wobble when the pilot enters the neck case. Did you trim any cases yet?
    Yes, it works fine.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jsm180 View Post
    Yes, it works fine.
    many thanks
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post
    I like prepping brass.

Give it time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    Give it time.

Hahaha hahaha hahaha!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

As we toil through our "brass treasures", sorting, polishing, trimming, measuring, neck turning, uniforming primer pockets, forming new, flash forming and deburring flash holes... We come to the realization that it's all in a day's work. But wait, there's more! Look at the list below and tell me if you've encountered any of these:

(Was going to start a new thread and not meaning to hi-jack OP's topic but this is the perfect place for this.)

1) After trimming your brass can actually "grow in length" after chamfering/deburring by as much as .002!
    2) Same headstamps, same caliber, same resize but different dimensions (neck, shoulder, body, head, extractor groove, rim thickness). Different lot maybe?
    3) Trimming gauging from shoulder can alert you when case hasn't been fully resized!
    4) Measuring with calipers requires "rotating" case for accuracy/squareness.
    5) "Stuck cases" requires audio isolation from others due to involuntary obscenity's.
    6) Acutely over length case trim time can be quickly shortened by chamfer/deburr OR quick run on crimp remover to make the trimming process less laborious. (be cautious doing this!) (credit goes to Three44s for this!)
    7)Primers seem to pop out while resizing/de-priming only to find "primer side walls" resist from exiting and only the end comes out.
    8) You go to resize a case and discover the case was shot from an over-sized chamber thus exhibiting the "tire" effect.
    9)Last but not least, I ran across a few "Wolf" 223 cases that despite being resized 4 times will not trim to 1.75". (Gauging from shoulder)

Oh and after a trimming session, you can easily tell how much sodium you had that day by the indents in your fingers....Have a great week!

Life is all fun and games until you try to recycle 308 that was shot in a machine gun!

Ain't life grand! Turn the radio up when you gotta get that stuck case outta the dies!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    Give it time.

50 years?

Maybe you will finally enjoy it.

I've processed 2k machine gun 308. Still love it.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post
    50 years?

Maybe you will finally enjoy it.

I've processed 2k machine gun 308. Still love it.

I salute you. Come do mine!

Boolit Master

Lyman case trimmer, carbide cutting head

I too have done the same, BUT the pilot hole is oversized and causes the pilot to sit off center (mine is probably 8 years old). That off axis wobble just plain bugs me (a lot), so much so that I have reverted back to the tool steel cutters.

Based on Midway USA reviews, others report the same:

I have no idea if they have corrected this issue, but I can't see spending another $45 to find out.
    Well I pretty much submitted the above with minor editing to Lyman with my purchase date and location information. I simply wanted to confirm the oversize issue had been resolved before I purchased again. To my surprise I just got an email containing a zero cost invoice for a new carbide cutter head!!! How cool is that???

Lyman Products
    475 Smith Street
    Middletown, CT 06457
    Tel 860.632.2020
    Fax 860.632.1699
    www.lymanproducts.com
    ORDER ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
    CUSTOMER CODE ORDER
    Customer Code: LYMAN PRODUCTS CUSTOMER SUPPORT
    Sold To: LYMAN PRODUCTS CUSTOMER SUPPORT
    475 SMITH STREET
    MIDDLETOWN, CT 06457
    USA
    Ship To:
    JACKSONVILLE, FL 32226
    USA
    Order No : 124690 Date: 7/19/21
    Ordered By: Phone:
    Email: Cust PO No: 32226
    FOB: Order Expiration:
    Ship Via: Freight Terms: No charge
    Terms: Paid MC/Visa Customer Terms Full Description:
    Order Terms Full Description: Outside Sales:
    Territory: Retail Accounts (customer service) Order Type: No Charge Order - Replace Def or Missing parts
    Line
    No Ship Date Part Part Product Group Description/Note Quantity Unit Unit
    Price Extended
    Price
    7/26/21 7822204 Carbide Cutter Accessory
    Product Type: Carbide Case Trimmer 1 Ea $0.00 $0.00
    Sub Total $0.00
    Grand Total $0.00
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Well I pretty much submitted the above with minor editing to Lyman with my purchase date and location information. I simply wanted to confirm the oversize issue had been resolved before I purchased again. To my surprise I just got an email containing a zero cost invoice for a new carbide cutter head!!! How cool is that???

Lyman Products
    475 Smith Street
    Middletown, CT 06457
    Tel 860.632.2020
    Fax 860.632.1699
    www.lymanproducts.com
    ORDER ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
    CUSTOMER CODE ORDER
    Customer Code: LYMAN PRODUCTS CUSTOMER SUPPORT
    Sold To: LYMAN PRODUCTS CUSTOMER SUPPORT
    475 SMITH STREET
    MIDDLETOWN, CT 06457
    USA
    Ship To:
    JACKSONVILLE, FL 32226
    USA
    Order No : 124690 Date: 7/19/21
    Ordered By: Phone:
    Email: Cust PO No: 32226
    FOB: Order Expiration:
    Ship Via: Freight Terms: No charge
    Terms: Paid MC/Visa Customer Terms Full Description:
    Order Terms Full Description: Outside Sales:
    Territory: Retail Accounts (customer service) Order Type: No Charge Order - Replace Def or Missing parts
    Line
    No Ship Date Part Part Product Group Description/Note Quantity Unit Unit
    Price Extended
    Price
    7/26/21 7822204 Carbide Cutter Accessory
    Product Type: Carbide Case Trimmer 1 Ea $0.00 $0.00
    Sub Total $0.00
    Grand Total $0.00
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbs-up-sign.png 
Views:	140 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	286378

Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    Life is all fun and games until you try to recycle 308 that was shot in a machine gun!

Ain't life grand! Turn the radio up when you gotta get that stuck case outta the dies!

I escaped that scenario.....just barely....by just by having the fear of such hit me when the sizing got really tuff. Had the presence of mind to stop pushing and thank goodness, a stuck case can indeed ruin your day and my loading room has no noise makers but me. I hate noise when I try to concentrate.

I was using Imperial Wax. So I started experimenting with different lubes.....lanolin included. There was only 2 lubes I tried that did the job without me worrying about a stuck case, STP ..... and the old standby, RCBS lube pad lube. Being water-based, I settled on the latter.....less mess. Imperial wax is great for most things, but not for sizing 308 MG brass in my experience.

Then I processed 500 7.62 (.308 LC MG brass) without a problem or even a slowdown........but I admit, I sized on my single R.C. not the progressive.....it was still harder than commercial brass....as there were crimped primers to push out then wet tumbling and trimming yet to do. Progressive loading came later without a hitch.
    Last edited by GWS; 07-20-2021 at 04:32 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    So I couldn't stand the suspense - I went and looked:

$500 for a case trimmer, and that does only one cartridge?

I would have to be charging myself $100/hr. for my labor to make that pay!
    They are talking about the Giraud Tri-way trimmer. They only cost $100 each and most cover multiple calibers at the same time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beagle74 View Post
    I approach it slow and methodical, just takes time. Kinda therapeutic for me.
    Yes, it is therapeutic for me also and a pleasure to use my L E Wilson trimmers.

Banned

Love my LE Wilson trimmers. Hard to beat quality tools.

Time consuming efforts? Depends ... not for me and quality rifle brass for building exceptional long distance cartridges.

Back at it, again!

Boolit Master
    Rather than burn up powder and pop primers, I am still cycling through a supply of fired 223/5.56 empties.

I also shoot 7mm TCU, 222 Rem and have been known to make 7.62x25 mm from 223 brass on occasion.

In checking for length, I encounter case lengths in the 223 casings ranging from 1.733” all the way to longer than 1.780”.

After I have my several head stamps segregated, I sort for length.

Lengths shorter than 1.744” are sidelined and left unprocessed for now.

Lengths longer than 1.760” are also set aside as they may be better saved for the TCU. This is because in expanding the case mouths for that conversion, the cases tend to get shorter and it makes little sense to grind off brass and later wish it was still there. I will trim those after the conversion.

My target length post full length sized for 223 is the recommended trim to of 1.750”. My post fired cases grow a few thou and for my bolt guns I use a Lee Collet neck die and they can grow together through several firings before I figure they will need getting cut again.

The cases between 1.740 and 1.750” can just float along as well, they get their primer pockets manicured and by resetting my inside flash holes debur tool, they can still get that as well. There just is no justification in trimming them.

Between 1.750” and 1.760” I have two piles of brass. The cases longer than 1.755” get their mouths deburred prior to trimming for length. Years ago, I discovered that beveled case mouths trim much faster than square ones do and trimming 10 thousandths off in one pass is a real “grind”!

The closer to 1.760” a particular case is, the more I cut with the inside chamfer pass.

All the heavy trimming is done with a Lyman Universal that wears their carbide cutter and by combining the chamfer pass prior to the trim, I can roll off that .008” or .010” generally in one setting.

A re-bevel and then it’s time to lube and full length size. Two Wilson trimmers come out and one is set for beveling the primer pocket crimp (it was swagged prior to this) and the other to cut back to my target of 1.750”.

Once a case is set in a Wilson case holder one might as well make the most of it!

I want the square case mouths that the Wilson trimmer gives me plus the dead length case dimension for the inside flash hole debur tool to index off of are my reason I return to a trimmer as well as a more accurate one to boot.

It’s a lot of work but it beats getting extremely frustrated watching the news. I get worked enough watching it during dinner and then ensconce myself in brass prep/conversions until bedtime.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 08-17-2021 at 10:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567