MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: 243 Winchester and IMR 7383

Boolit Master

243 Winchester and IMR 7383

Years ago I purchased a case of IMR 7383 for shooting cast bullets, but as it turns out it works quite nice in a 243 with ~70 grain bullets.
    The back story is that I was looking for a simple light bullet load for my sporter weight 243 that didn't generate maximum pressures or velocity. To this end, I tried modest charges of RL-7, AA2200, AA2460, and H322 behind a selection of 68-70 gr. bullets I had on hand and powders (I had an abundance of). The RL-7 load delivered a nice 3/4" 5 shot group, which isn't unusual as the rifle will sometime deliver nickel sized groups. In a previous post I asked about using IMR 7383 in my 43 Mauser, which turns not to be a good idea in the weak 71/84 action. But during my internet searches I came across a post recommending 41.5 gr. of IMR 7383 in the 243 with 68 grain bullets as it delivered ~3000 fps and solid accuracy. So I decided to give it a try, using the Speer 70 HP, and some other custom benchrest bullets I had on hand. The Speer bullets punched a couple 5/8" groups and two of the groups using benchrest bullets were in the 1/2" range. Needless to say I was pleased with the results. Might just have to try IMR 7383 in my 25-06 with light bullets to see if similar results are obtained.

Just passing along this information for others to leverage.

I've used it for years in my .243 Win., but with 85 - 87 gr. spire points: Excellent accuracy and speed.