Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Load Data

Thread: Problem with my PC 35 Remington bullets.

Problem with my PC 35 Remington bullets.

I cast my Lee 358-200-RF gas check bullets out of WW+2% Tin. They dropped at about .362”. I powder coated and then added gas check and sized .359 which gave me .358”-.3585”. I loaded a number of rounds and then tried to chamber them in one of my Remington model 141’s. The bolt would not lock and I had to force the slide to eject the round. The bullet showed Engagement with the rifling. But the nose is supposed to be smaller than what got sized. Any ideas what I did wrong? See pics.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4F26FA2E-B8E7-4ABA-9862-9D1FAF0C1A5E.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	284812Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FCAE6EA3-429F-4869-96CF-BA3E9E62BB82.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	284815

Name:	867B2658-ECA3-4FAC-B8A7-A5D588B5C1A1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	284817
    Is my PC too thick maybe?

Actually one of my 141’s would lock into battery, but difficult to eject and showed rifling engagement.

Boolit Master

The PC is making the bullet ogive too large. You either have to seat deeper or maybe try a different method of applying the PC.
    NRA Benefactor.

Thank you. I am looking into both issues. These are née old
    Stock virgin primed R-P 35 Remington cases that measure 1.917”. 1.910” is trim to length. So trimming the cases to minimum might help some but I think I’ll have to figure a good way to apply a thinner powder coat that still covers.

Need to do a chamber cast although not the easiest with these rifles.

So I think I e fixed my issue somewhat. Not my favorite option but I shortened the overall length from 2.385 to 2.346”. At this length, which moves the case neck from the top edge of the crimp groove to almost the forward edge of the leading band just in front of the crimp groove. It’s not much but the rounds will now chamber and lock in battery and will eject with just a slight effort since the nose is still just slightly engaging the rifling, which I believe can be a good thing for accuracy. I’m just Leary of excessive pressure. Please check the pics at let me know what you think. Good to shoot? My starting load is 34.9 grains of IMR 4064. Bullet is .3575”-.3580”.
    Im going to try some fresh cast bullets with a thinner coating and see if I can move back to the crimp groove. What typical over all length are guys using for this bullet in 35 Remington?

Name:	574D76C7-8B92-4AB1-A7E7-6586FD17FE67.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	284833Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A333127D-8583-4B35-9923-62FD2768901F.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	284834Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3CAFC395-4670-4C17-B9FC-924C7954114E.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	284835

I’m always Leary of seating bullets too deep with the potential for pressure spikes.

The 200RF is a "semi-borerider"
    Powder coat increases the diameter of bore riding profile .... Aaaaack!
    interference.

Not much you can do about it save seat deeper -- effectively negating the 200RF's great advantage.

What advantage is being negated? Very curious.
    Also, is seating deeper going to cause issues in the model 141?

Please tell me what OAL people are using with this bullet in 35 Remington.

The bore rider aspect of the 200RF starts/keeps the bullet much better aligned as it undergoes hard acceleration. Absent that, and with a soft(er) alloy, you risk ever-so-slight deformation of the base angle exiting the muzzle.

I just (yesterday) played that game w/ my Winchester bolt-action 350 Legend.
    The SAECO 352 (36-240) has an alignment ridge just aft of the ogive.
    PC'd, the ridge/nose wouldn't fully enter the freebore:
    OAL limited to 2.18 AND 2" groups.

I went back to ALOX, and the ridge/nose once again completely seated in the (relatively short) freebore:
    OAL full-up 2.27" AND 3/4" group

See
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post4761307 (SAECO)
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post4816659 (SAECO nose slight rounded from seating stem & LEE)

(These posts/pics was from my AR 350 ...but you get the point)
    Last edited by mehavey; 06-21-2021 at 07:13 AM.

I have a mold from Mountain Molds for 458 SOCOM, it's a 375 grain round flat nose with a bore riding section. I had that diameter reduced in size just for what PC adds to the equation. Otherwise you can size the bore riding portion down and you'll be back in business like before.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    I have a mold from Mountain Molds for 458 SOCOM, it's a 375 grain round flat nose with a bore riding section. I had that diameter reduced in size just for what PC adds to the equation. Otherwise you can size the bore riding portion down and you'll be back in business like before.
    I’m assuming your using an rcbs or Lyman lube sizer to do the partial sizing of the bullet nose bore riding section? A little more info on your method please!

The idea of sizing the bore ride portion i would guess came from competitive shooting. Your right saying an ribs or Lyman could be used. It would be a two step process or 3 if you gas check then PC. Size the bearing surface to the bore then the nose to the groove diameter, or a bit smaller for hunting and ease of feeding.
    Size the nose near to the shoulder without smashing it. This die will be smaller than the die for the bore.

That 375 grain .458 boolit I mentioned has a bore ride section small enough so PC doesn't clash with the rifling.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

I think I will try running my PC’ and sized bullets up into a smaller Lee push through sizer and then pop it back out the bottom. Let’s see how that works. Good thing I won’t be loading for these rifles in mass. LOL!

Boolit Master

First,

Not all bullet designs are PC Friendly.

Second we as "coaters" dont really have a way to make a consistently thick coating. If you make loads of static your gonna get a thick coating. Less static less thick. Poor powders or contaminates... less or thinner still. Then some powders simply make for thicker coatings then others. What Im saying here is Its probably mot all "you".

I have a few favorite bullets that simply do not Work with powder coat... Sad day yes but none the less true. I have found that when choosing a powder that coats well and thick. I simply "sift off more". Doing so absolutely can help thickness of the coating on the bullets becomes far more uniform. If makes it work, only you can discover. I ha e a few videos posted on my Utube channel on these things to help folks out.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Thanks a lot! I’m starting to understand how bullet design can affect the PC process. I may have to look for a different bullet for the 35 Remington that is PC friendly.

I am tumble lubing some of my Lee 358-200’s and going to see how they perform at correct length compared to my PC’s bullets seated deeper.

Any suggestions on a PC friendly Bullet, 200grain, that is a PC friendly design?

Boolit Master

Your rifle chamber also likely has a short throat. Tbis makes bullet selection more tricky.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

So... why powder coat if the bullet design works better with a wax type lube that doesn't increase the size?
    I shoot lots of Hi-tek coated bullets, but there are some that just work better with other lubes... 35Rem is one of them.
    Don't try to tell me that PC is easier or better; it's not. If you prefer to PC, that's fine, do what you wanna do, but don't reject other options that may work better.

Just my (not so) humble opinion.
    Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Quote Originally Posted by KYCaster View Post
    So... why powder coat if the bullet design works better with a wax type lube that doesn't increase the size?
    I shoot lots of Hi-tek coated bullets, but there are some that just work better with other lubes... 35Rem is one of them.
    Don't try to tell me that PC is easier or better; it's not. If you prefer to PC, that's fine, do what you wanna do, but don't reject other options that may work better.

Just my (not so) humble opinion.
    Jerry
    Not rejecting anything. I just tumble lubed with Alox a mess of the 200’s. I also have a Lyman lube sizer I’ve been using before. PC is new to me and I’m learning as I go what works and what doesn’t. I appreciate all the help.

So if I want a bullet mold similar to the 358-200 that is powder coat friendly that isn’t a bore riding nose design?