RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Match Champion shoots high

Match Champion shoots high

I love this gun. Doesn't lead. Locks up tight. Good balance. Problem is it hits about 3" high at 25 yards. Load is a 160 grain rnfp over 13.5 of 2400.

This gun doesn't have the easy change sights of the standard GP100.

Anyone else have this problem? Suggestions welcome.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Is that off sandbags? Is that offhand? Do you intend to use that load as your working or business load? If not why worry about it now until you have a working or business load? Have you seen what distance it is sighted? Maybe 60 to 75 yards?
    Some questions one needs to mull over.

Boolit Master
    So you have the rear sight bottomed out? Try a lighter loading with that boolit. Maybe some AA 7 or HS 6 or HP 38. Or try a 125 gr. boolit. Or try a 6 o clock hold.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Buddy
    Thumbcocker,

General rule of thumb, to lower the point of impact on a fixed sight gun use a faster load, a lighter bullet or a combination of the two. I would try a 125 grain bullet and see how it does.

Gus Youmans

Novak Sights sells an adjustable rear sight replacement for the factory sight on the Match Champions and the Wiley Clapp 3” versions
    Also replacement tritium front and rear sights for the Wiley Clapp SP 101

Boolit Man
    I wonder if sights are set for a six o’clock hold

Rear sight is bottomed out. Standing 2 hand hold. Front sight has fiber optic insert (hate them). I am beginning to think it was set up for 125 grain boolits. I really like the 160 rnfp. With 2400 because it shoots pretty well in multiple guns. Cest le vie.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

3 inches at 25 yards translates to about .019-.023 for a 6" to 7" sight radius.

Can you push the rear sight assy down at all or is it bottomed to the frame? (Elevation screw could be too long compared to the tapped hole depth).

Maybe remove the rear sight assy and check the bottom of the sight and the frame for burrs.

Maybe file the bottom of the sight to get that .020 or the top edge of the blade.

Otherwise I would zero my favorite 38 load, check how much adjustment is remaining and then make a decision about a front sight height that would work for both loads.

Regards - Slughammer

Edited to add, I have seen black fiber optic rod. You can eliminate the bright fiber if you need to.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    What is your group size at 25 yards?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Rear sight is bottomed out. Standing 2 hand hold. Front sight has fiber optic insert (hate them). I am beginning to think it was set up for 125 grain boolits. I really like the 160 rnfp. With 2400 because it shoots pretty well in multiple guns. Cest le vie.
    At what distance is it sighted? 60 to 75 yards maybe? If it was I would leave it alone if I want to use that load.

Banned

Aim low!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by falmike View Post
    I wonder if sights are set for a six o’clock hold
    That's the first thing that I thought of. Most of my pistols are adjusted for the 6 o'clock hold.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Three inches high at 25 yards? Have you tried it at 50? If your bullet is dropping in to something close to zero, as opposed to hitting even higher, I'd probably consider it a good thing and leave it be. With the sight bottomed out, this would give you some LONG range capability

Other option is to find a taller front sight.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Looks like Dawson Precision offers a .10 wide replacement. Just need to measure. Possible happy dance here.

Boolit Master
    Unless I was bullseye shooting I'd call that good and adjust aim when field shooting.

As others pointed out, when bullseye shooting I usually hold at 6 o'clock so you might be good there too given the size of a 25yd target.

Boolit Master
    They usually have the competition guns setup for a certain bullet weight and propellant load. For many it is a minimum load for targets sometimes they even go as far as barely being able to get the bullets out of the barrel. In some competitions they state what the minimum load requirement is, others not so much. Then for competitions like the bowling pin contests, they tend to go for much more power in order to ensure the pins get knocked off of the table. But if your shooting high then you likely need to reduce the propellant load used a little or maybe change the bullet weight or even both. Heck even standard factory guns can have the same issue. The .45 Colt SAA types of revolvers is one example. The early ones tend to be way off with modern ammo as they were setup for a full black powder charge and a 250 grain bullet thus they shoot way off using modern loads. Did your gun come with any instructions mentioning the load data or anything to use?

Boolit Master
    Switching to a 125gr bullet will lower POI.
    13.5 with a 158-160gr bullet has been a great performer for me too.
    Only other choice is to lightly file down the top of the rear sight.
    Personally I’d go with the Novak sights.

But, then again I wouldn’t be shooting a Ruger, either.

Boolit Grand Master

This is what you need. I use and recommend the .315" tall X .100" wide patridge. This allows adjustments in my 5" GP100 from 158 gr 38 specials, all the way to the 220 gr 357 magnum boomers. It should have plenty of adjustment for lighter loads too, but I have never shot bullets lighter than 158gr. Edit: now that I think of it, I did shoot .360" round balls with poof loads, and there was plenty of adjustment for those.

https://dawsonprecision.com/novak-cu...-front-sights/

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    This is what you need. I use and recommend the .315" tall X .100" wide patridge. This allows adjustments in my 5" GP100 from 158 gr 38 specials, all the way to the 220 gr 357 magnum boomers. It should have plenty of adjustment for lighter loads too, but I have never shot bullets lighter than 158gr. Edit: now that I think of it, I did shoot .360" round balls with poof loads, and there was plenty of adjustment for those.

https://dawsonprecision.com/novak-cu...-front-sights/
    Just ordered one. Thanks.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Three inches high at 25 yards? Have you tried it at 50? If your bullet is dropping in to something close to zero, as opposed to hitting even higher, I'd probably consider it a good thing and leave it be. With the sight bottomed out, this would give you some LONG range capability

Other option is to find a taller front sight.
    Me too......
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast