Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Ohaus 5-0-2 Powder scale

Ohaus 5-0-2 Powder scale

After discovering my digital powder scale was lying to me - telling me I was using less powder than I actually was - I checked my other scales. Two other digitals and an old Herter's balance beam. The others were reading OK but that Herter's scale is old so I ordered a new balance beam scale. Seems like all the ones marketed by online shooting suppliers were at least three figures. I found this Ohaus 5-0-2 on Amazon for $55 so I ordered it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ohaus 5-0-2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	284800

Ohaus has been making balance scales for a long time but I was unaware of this one.

https://us.ohaus.com/en-us/

Has anyone here used one? What do you think?

Digital is like any other item that is electronic in any way. They can & do fail. I have Lyman Ohaus scales from 40 years ago. When I put my "check scale weights" on them they are always on the mark. I have seen to many electronic devices fail . When it comes to all out safety, I put my faith in a mechanical balance beam.

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

Is the 5-0-2 scale Made in the USA, Mexico, or China?

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Master

Mine, made in the 60's is USA made and never wrong yet!

Boolit Buddy
    Mine is 50+ years old and still right on the money. I bought a Lee scale a few years ago but don't use it as the old Lyman is faster settling. I always recheck the Zero every day though as it can vary +/- .3 depending on temp and phase of the moon!

Quote Originally Posted by fc60 View Post
    Greetings,

Is the 5-0-2 scale Made in the USA, Mexico, or China?

Cheers,

Dave
    China

Jim

Boolit Master
    Well, I'm sure your new balance scale is prettier than the old Herter's (Webster) scale but I doubt it will "work" any better; I know my now very old Herter's is quite good and, point of fact, so is my little plastic Lee Safety Scale. Too bad I don't have any warm feelings about anyone's flaky electronic devices.

I just bought one. Works well, and I like the magnetic damping of the beam. My only complaint is that it’s very light, and I had to add some lead weight to the bottom.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    I just bought one. Works well, and I like the magnetic damping of the beam. My only complaint is that it’s very light, and I had to add some lead weight to the bottom.
    Mine is supposed to arrive today. How did you add the lead? Did you use shot? I did that with my powder trickler and glued on an oak base. May do the same with this. If I can get it to zero and read accurately I'll be happy. After this, though, I will check whatever scale I'm using with a known weight before using it. Live and learn.

The magnetic damping sounds good. The Herter's scale has a paddle and a pit for oil damping. Never liked that method.

I also have and love the 502. Mine is green and marked RCBS, but the box states it's Manufactured by Ohaus for RCBS. I bought it back in the late 1970's and it still measures spot on!

Sam Sackett

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sackett View Post
    I also have and love the 502. Mine is green and marked RCBS, but the box states it's Manufactured by Ohaus for RCBS. I bought it back in the late 1970's and it still measures spot on!

Sam Sackett
    Yep. I looked up the RCBS scale. It is the same thing in a different color. I would have used the old Herter's scale but the numbers are roll-stamped into the bars. Hard for old eyes to see. The Ohaus has nice black numbers on a white background. I am going to build a raised platform for it to make it easier to read. Will also have to incorporate some kind of dust cover.

Started with the Lee safety scale, wasn't real enthused, worked just ok, harder to dice down to the tenth of a grain than I wanted. Sold it.

Moved to an RCBS 502, again worked just ok, same thing with the measuring down to a tenth. Sold it.

Tried a buddy's RCBS 1010 wasn't real happy with the spin the dial setting. Glad I didn't buy that.

Bought an RCBS 505 20+ years ago, pretty happy with it.

Since then I've bought dead guy Hornady, Lyman, and Redding scales, all worked well enough, not enough better to sell off the 505 and keep one of them. I sold all of them to buddy's and they aren't taking my name in vain over them.

Bought a small digital ~ 2 years ago for a friend, I tested it up down and side ways, I was quite pleased with it for the $17 delivered to the door. He is still using it and is quite pleased.

I still like the old 505 the best, gravity, it's not just a good idea, IT'S THE LAW!
    Last edited by 15meter; 07-04-2021 at 03:53 PM.

After pulling boolits on the loads I put together using my mendacious digital scale I sat down yesterday to try my new Ohaus scale. Memories came back to me about the RCBS 1010 I once had. Drop a charge that's a bit light and trickle in a bit more until the pointer touches zero. After years of using digital scales that would not respond well to trickling I didn't realize how much I missed the slowly moving pointer. Funny thing about digital scales; you drop a light load in the pan and then try to trickle up to desired weight. Half the time the digits wouldn't move but when they did they read a tenth or two higher than desired. The balance scale doesn't do that.

Jim