Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knife Steel

Boolit Grand Master

Knife Steel

What is your favorite steel? Many new types on the market but I've gravitated towards the 8Cr13MoV as the one that seems to strike the balance between holding an edge and being easy to sharpen. The cost isn't high, either.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Moderator Emeritus

I have two Zero Tolerance knives which use Crucible's CP 20CV steel. Not el cheapo's -- both have a msrp well above the $300.00 mark -- they do require a few extra minutes to get that razor edge as their only down side... However -- they keep it quite a long time, after as much use as any EDC knife may get. I seem to need to need sharpen at quite greater intervals than with other knives.

Boolit Master

D2 is still my favorite since Damascus is out of my price range.

Sprue ™

Boolit Master

Cpm-m4
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Master
    Damascus or 1095

CPM-S30V is my favorite. I like the extremely sharp edge it takes, and the ability to stay sharp for a long time in use.

Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    D2 is still my favorite since Damascus is out of my price range.
    The spendyest knife I bought is my current SOG Terminus XR with a D2 blade. It is tuff, on memorial day I used it to cut some sod off a foot stone and it was still sharp "enough" for general use. Pretty good for a tool steel born in the first part of the last century.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Buddy
    1095. Love the stuff. Easy to sharpen, holds an edge for a decent amount of time. I'd rather have to steel an edge more often than to have to stone a new edge less often.

1095 or VG10 or H1 depending on application. If I am down on the coast with my boat, H1 is pretty nice. VG10 is a great all around stainless. 1095 is great for large hard use knives.

Boolit Master
    I do like good steel and recently bought a couple of Buck folders with the S30V, probably will not use them a lot. I sharpened them but haven't tried them out, same with a couple Schrade's with the steel you mentioned. I use a knife everyday but am not really hard on them but will do what I have to do. For me the bottom line is that it will hold a decent edge but not be a major operation to sharpen and not break the bank if broken or lost.

My EDC are a Victorinox tinker and a Buck folder with 420HC. I also carry a small flat diamond hone in my wallet, what's in your wallet. If I never bought another knife my great grandchildren would have knives left.

Dave

I use 5160.for just about everything these days. Its durable and rust resistant.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20210308-104951_Gallery.jpg  

Boolit Master

I'm hoping some of you may be able to answer this question. My father gave me a knife when I began hunting at age 14. It was made by York Cutlery Co., Solingen Steel, 6" blade (fixed blade). It's been my favorite "outdoor" knife (hunting, fishing, camping) all these years. I've found it very easy to sharpen to a shaving sharp edge but it needs touch up frequently. Can anyone tell me what Solingen stell is, relative to D2 or some of the others you've mentioned here?
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Vendor Sponsor

Solingen Steel is not really any one type of steel but rather a region known for steel making. I know this is not much help but you would have to know more about the model knife to know the type of steel.
    Chill Wills

1095 and D2
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    my current pocket knife is a boker automatic with AUS8 blade. Its pretty easy to keep razor sharp, sharp enough to shave with anyway. and holds that edge pretty darn well.

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

A bit off topic; but, how many of you folks have a Salt Tube to heat treat your knife blades?

Cheers,

David

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Solingen Steel is not really any one type of steel but rather a region known for steel making. I know this is not much help but you would have to know more about the model knife to know the type of steel.
    Here's a couple pics. The pic of the other side wouldn't focus clearly enough to be read, it is stamped

York Cutlery Co.
    Solingen
    Germany

I believe the number is the model # of the knife.

Attachment 285451Attachment 285452
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Vendor Sponsor

I really don't have any steel alloy info you. It may be you have to dig deep for it if you really want to know.
    York Cutlery Co. was a one man import business starting with German knifes but later Japan and he had both low end and quality knifes so the one you have may be anything. The important thing is that knife has been with you all these years and has done its job. Its history and memories are priceless to you. As it should be - I get that!
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Here's a couple pics. The pic of the other side wouldn't focus clearly enough to be read, it is stamped

York Cutlery Co.
    Solingen
    Germany

I believe the number is the model # of the knife.

Attachment 285451Attachment 285452
    Your knife appears to have a bit of patina so I would guess a carbon steel as opposed to a stainless steel blade. As waco suggest something like 1095 would be comparable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast