Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: this is what happens when you don't clean a suppressor.....

Boolit Buddy

this is what happens when you don't clean a suppressor.....

the pictures say it all.
    the end of the article says "the person in charge of maintaining these guns should be fired".
    agreed

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/cle...uppressed_gun/

Wow! Thanks for posting this. I know very little about suppressors. I do know that they find military use on submachine guns, of which the H&K is one. I wonder how practical it is to remove and clean them every 250-500 rounds as suggested in the article? Seems to me you'd burn through that number of rounds pretty quickly. The photos are incredible--all that carbon forming into a solid, packed mass.

DG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Wow! Thanks for posting this. I know very little about suppressors. I do know that they find military use on submachine guns, of which the H&K is one. I wonder how practical it is to remove and clean them every 250-500 rounds as suggested in the article? Seems to me you'd burn through that number of rounds pretty quickly. The photos are incredible--all that carbon forming into a solid, packed mass.

DG
    I've never met an armorer who'd take a gun back in that condition. I was military, but not combat arms, and we had to clean the guns we fired before they were inspected, and re-clean until the armorer was satisfied if we didn't get it right the first time. Normal course of fire was 120 rounds, max. I do not want to shoot any firearm maintained by whoever these folks were. Lucky they didn't get a major Kablooie!

Boolit Master

It all depends on the suppressor. Some are much easier to clean than others.

Those came off of demo guns. I'm sure they were fired a tremendous amount.

I've seen similar pictures from some of the Lost Wages places that rent NFA stuff. AR's with gas ports that are 2" long. Suppressors filled with carbon.

For them it was less expensive to buy new stuff than maintain what they had.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    My can is fully welded and unserviceable by the end user. The only option for cleaning is “the dip” and is not recommended by the manufacturer. They recommend shooting supersonics through it to essentially blow the fouling out.

My next one will be fully serviceable.

I imagine those demo MP5s were on the Subway diet. Nothing but subs.

Boolit Master
    Common sense isn't nearly as common as it's supposed to be and nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    My can is fully welded and unserviceable by the end user. The only option for cleaning is “the dip” and is not recommended by the manufacturer. They recommend shooting supersonics through it to essentially blow the fouling out.

My next one will be fully serviceable.
    Not too different from the ones I have my first one (22cal) is sealed and have been told follow it up with some supers to blow out the fouling or take it to a place that dips engine blocks.
    My second one (30cal) is essentially the same as my first one (add a baffle and a bigger hole) and it IS serviceable. I'm seriously considering taking my 22cal one to my machinist buddy and having him convert it to serviceable like the 30 cal. Just have to break the loctite loose and add a few blind holes to match the wrench of my other one