Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repackaging powder?

Boolit Buddy

Repackaging powder?

Say a guy and a few friends get an opportunity to buy a keg of powder... how would you repackage into smaller lots? Used or new powder plastic bottles (8 and 1 lb size)? Cardboard boxes with plastic bag liners? Something else?

Paint stores sell metal cans in various sizes with airtight screw on lids. I’d use those.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    im not too sure about metal cans, I think there is a reason why the powder companies stopped selling powder in metal cans.
    I would reuse empty powder bottles and jugs, just being absolutely sure to paint over or remove old labels and label them clearly with powder type you are putting in them.

Boolit Master
    I peel the labels off of old plastic powder containers. I’m probably not really accomplishing anything, but I prefer to open an 8 lb jug or 15 lb keg as few times as possible.

Boolit Master
    When the places I vivsited sold it out of the keg they put it in a paper sack. I would take the sack home and put it in those big cheese ball plastic jugs.

Boolit Master
    I used to have a cardboard keg that started with 50# of H4831 in which it had been kept nicely since I purchased it in the early 60's when Hodgden was selling 'em for (as I recall it) $0.50/lb. When I'd emptied a couple of those gallon-sized plastic jugs that hold 8# of powder just perfectly I repurposed them as 4831 containers for the remainder of that old keg. Much handier!

Boolit Master
    I use repurposed 1# containers to empty 8# jugs when the level drops to free up space in my powder locker. Also handier than trying to fill measures from the big jugs.

I've usually have some empty, plastic, modern generation, 1 lb. powder bottles I use to repack bulk powder.
    It's just easier to store the small bottles in my cabinet.

He probably gets it in at least 100 pound lots,
    but when ya buy 8 pound jugs from Mr. Bartlett, they always come in what looks like a one gallon anti-freeze bottle.

I never had any problems with either, and some have been stored full for several years.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I like the looks of the older carboard/metal top and bottom can but they are prone to rust. I save every 1 lb. black plastic bottle that I empty for future use. They are what I repackage powder in and label correctly, even the lot number and date bought and repackaged. Label makers are great for this purpose. james

Boolit Master
    I have vacuumed packed powder. Keep it in a dark place. It's worked for me so far. I would have used the black plastic powder containers, but I didn't have any at the time.

I buy a 4 pack of hydrogen peroxide quarts at Walmart and dump the contents. That leaves you with a good HDPE container for less than a buck a piece.

Moderator Emeritus

During the Clinton presidency a friend bought a 33 lb keg of H4831. I bought 4 lbs in a 2 liter pop bottle and shot it for 10 + years. Keep it dry and out of the light, preferably in temps between 60-80 F and you could keep it in a paper sack.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned
    IF the old kegs of powder are any indication you could use an empty cardboard quaker oatmeal tube container.

Used liquid laundry detergent bottles. Heavy plastic, air tight screw lid, they come in different sizes, nice pour spout design. Have mama start setting them aside for you. I carry extra fuel in them for my long dirt bike rides into the bush.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master

https://www.houseofcans.com/pint-obl...13r717mj37b9k5

I get ones that are like metal powder cans

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Whatever you use, I would add a couple of silica gel packets to trap any humidity.

I have some Varget in Mason jars. Permanent Sharpie labeled.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    When we packed small containers at the explosives plant it was always limited to Antistatic UHMW jugs,, which were always black in color.
    I'm pretty sure thats why all powder comes in black jugs,, or at least thats all I've ever seen it packed in before.
    Using any other plastic jugs, like clear, white, etc, and your taking a chance with static buldup and possibly ignition....however dangerous that is, real or imagined...
    Just for clarity,,, Antistatic polyethylene is only made in black.....or at least that was the only option available up till 5yrs ago, it might be different now.
    Last edited by yovinny; 06-22-2021 at 07:06 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I have some Varget in Mason jars. Permanent Sharpie labeled.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Personally I'd never store powder in a glass jar. Many reasons for it.

Quote Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
    When we packed small containers at the explosives plant it was always limited to Antistatic UHMW jugs,, which were always black in color.
    I'm pretty sure thats why all powder comes in black jugs,, or at least thats all I've ever seen it packed in before.
    Using any other plastic jugs, like clear, white, etc, and your taking a chance with static buldup and possibly ignition....however dangerous that is, real or imagined...
    Just for clarity,,, Antistatic polyethylene is only made in black.....or at least that was the only option available up till 5yrs ago, it might be different now.
    Shooter's World powders come in gray jugs.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I save all my empty powder containers, I would use those to store the powder in. I would peel off the old labels and re-label with the correct name.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast