Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you clean lube out of a sizer?

Boolit Mold

How do you clean lube out of a sizer?

If you want to change lubes, what's the best way to clean the old lube out of the sizer? I have an RCBS Lube-A-Matic II.

Thanks,

jv

I wave a propane torch around on mine.
    Not so close & hot to burn the paint off, just get it real warm.

With the sizer die removed, the lube will run right out like you're melting a candle.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I use the lube on bullets until it runs out, then replace it with the new stuff. I hate wasting anything.....

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Use a heat gun or a hair dryer and get it warm, sizing die removed and it will run out. Gravity is your friend. Make sure you have it over a cookie sheet or similar surface to catch the runoff.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had good results in boiling water. I've rebuilt a couple doing it this way. To rebuild: A good wipe down with acetone and wire brush and it is ready for paint.

Boolit Master

Put it in the oven on warm, on top of a cookie sheet covered in paper towels, and it will empty itself.

Boolit Buddy
    Dangle it in front of a torpedo heater with the sizer and pressure nut removed. I suspend mine with wire from the 'arch" of a stepladder and aim the heater at it. Makes for a quick hassle free purge outdoors.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    I use the lube on bullets until it runs out, then replace it with the new stuff. I hate wasting anything.....

Hope this helps.

Fred
    yup unless your having problems with it why not just use it. If your getting leading then load some low pressure plinkers with it and go blast them up and have some fun. I can about guarantee you that you wont see any earth shattering differences by switching lubes. Ive used about all of them through the years. Some work a bit better at low pressures some at high. Want something thats a game changer? walk away from that lubesizer and start using pc. Im old school and fought it myself but after the first week of shooting pc'd bullets i doubt my star will ever be used again other then just sizing when i dont have a lee size die the proper size. Now if you getting that lube out for good to use the press to just size then it makes sense. Even so id just keep using it till it ran out.

Boolit Master
    Remove die and pressure nut. Tilt up the back end, warm with hair dryer or leave it in the hot sun. After most old runs out then add new lube and nut, wrench till your new lube runs out, install sizer die.
    All the run off lube You can save and reuse if you want it again.

I run mine low, add new lube and keep sizing till color changes then switch Dies and bullets.
    Most time like said above, it shouldn’t make that big a difference if you have a little mix of two lubes unless your going to extreme differences like BP to high power rifle ?

Mike

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    yup unless your having problems with it why not just use it. If your getting leading then load some low pressure plinkers with it and go blast them up and have some fun. I can about guarantee you that you wont see any earth shattering differences by switching lubes. Ive used about all of them through the years. Some work a bit better at low pressures some at high. Want something thats a game changer? walk away from that lubesizer and start using pc. Im old school and fought it myself but after the first week of shooting pc'd bullets i doubt my star will ever be used again other then just sizing when i dont have a lee size die the proper size. Now if you getting that lube out for good to use the press to just size then it makes sense. Even so id just keep using it till it ran out.
    +1 on this.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I have only done this maybe twice in 40 years but I also used a hair dryer. It produces more then enough heat and will get all but the smallest residue out. I cast and load for handgun only and have never needed to change lubes so I usually run it till I can't crank the reservoir handle anymore then refill. I also use the hair dryer to clean the dies every once in a while.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post

Hope this helps.

Fred
    I "had" always used a lube recipe/brand change as a time to completely empty and clean a lubsizer...and used a Heat gun, followed by MS and lots of rags.
    The first time I tried what Fred suggested, my old lube was green and the new lube was red. I had christmas colored lube boolits for one batch of about 200 boolits, before the red kicked 100%.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    Wow, thanks for all the helpful replies! Great community.

I guess my desire to clean my new-used sizer is related to my general obsessive-compulsive nature. I don't know what the lube is, that's in there, and I wanted to select a lube for my purposes. I'm leaning towards LBT Blue Soft. Or maybe White Label's Carnuba Blue.

The bullets I will be casting are for mostly light loads in .45 ACP, .44 Magnum/Special, .38 Special, .380 AVP; and, 35 Remington (with GC) and .303 British. I don't do a ton of shooting, but I'd like to do more. My primary desire is to avoid leading.

Maybe I'll just "practice" lubing with the existing lube,'til it runs out. I've never even cast a bullet yet, so it will be a learning experience.

Thanks,

jv

Moderator Emeritus

If you happen to start casting/loading 45acp or 38 spl, most any lube will work...45 acp and 38 spl are very forgiving calibers, then using the existing unknown lube will likely be successful.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

I drop mine in a canning boiler and boil the wax out.

Boolit Bub
    Took thousands of bullets for my lube to change. Use to use Tamarack, switched to LBT blue. I do start my sizing procedure with a hair drier on the backside of my Saeco sizer, and I do have a warm up plate on the bottom. It just takes to long to get the lube warmed up. My sizer is in my basement, so even in summer it's cooler down there.

Boolit Grand Master

If you want to lube two totally different lubes say one for handgun and one for rifle , the best / easiest thing to do is get two lube sizers .
    If you have been using ABC and want to now use XYZ just insert a stick of XYZ and keep using , the ABC will soon run out and the XYZ will replace it . This is what I do .
    Cleaning out a filled lube sizer is a lot of work ... and extra work is something I try to avoid .
    If you must do it ...a big old pot , and boil in water ...when all the lube has melted and floated to the top ... get the cleaned sizer out and be ready to clean up a big mess ...do not do this in your wife's kitchen on her stove in one of her good stock pots ... You will not believe what melted boolit lube can ruin by getting on / in . Kitchen floors and counter tops are especially hard to clean .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	474043C0-E10A-42A0-B458-679ED9645996.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	285317
    I use two sizers but one is for 309 and the other is for 452 that share a common heater. Both use Orange Magic. KISS.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the helpful replies. I will clean out what I have, and start fresh with something good for all the calibers I will be lubing.

Boolit Grand Master

When I want to clean out a press I boil it. You can let the water cool and lift the solidified wax off the surface if you want to keep it, but when I’m boiling it is usually a new to me press or a failure and I throw the lube away.

Just changing lube, I pull the die, turn up the temperature on my heating plate and melt the lube into an old tin can for reuse.

But I have many presses now, and haven’t just changed lube in a long time.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast