WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: PC 38-55 250gr PB. How fast?

PC 38-55 250gr PB. How fast?

Back in 1999 or 2000 I bought this new Marlin Cowboy 38-55.NIB. This particular bullet ( picture inset ) Saeco 250gr was bought just after I purchased the rifle. Traditionally lubed with LBT soft blue, it has delivered superb accuracy . MyAttachment 284764 load delivers about 1350 fps over my chrono. Leading has been almost zero. Now that I'm PC ( clear with a dab of OD Green ) I would very much like to match the velocity of my LBT 250gr GC bullet, 1600 fps. Does this sound possible?

Boolit Master
    I would think that an easy task. The only way to know is to try it. I would suggest you size the PC bullets to the same size as the lubed ones.

I had a custom .380 sizer made shortly after I purchased the 38-55. It has proved to have been an excellent choice. All these years it has sized very accurate bullets. My PC bullets came out of the oven at .384. Sized to .380. Have been working with a PC CB load for my 308 today. Will be a day two,or three before I get to the 38-55. Anxious to get the loads going for it.

Got some shooting in with my 38-55 Marlin Cowboy this morning.The above cast PC 250gr PB bullet at 1400fps. One jagged three shot hole at 100yds. I thought wow I got this covered . Added another grain of powder & the group went 2+ inches. looks like this bullet in this rifle is going to stay at 1400fps. I was very hopeful I would get 1600fps , but looks like it won't be.

Cast bullets today, from my LBT 260gr GC mold. These are for my 38-55 , sized .380. These were cast & PC'ed today . Will size tomorrow & see how they shoot. I'm hoping for a solid 1600 fps with good accuracy.Attachment 284917 Forgot. Color is clear with OD green.

Boolit Man
    Wow Dom. That’s impressive shooting. I think I’d be happy with that!!! Hopefully I can get my 94 to group like that. Looks like I’ve got some work to do.