RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is water the new oil

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    I think desalinization is expensive but CA and FL are going to have to start looking at it. Where I am at every winter is now a drought. The fresh water canals get so low they are unusable. We are seeing saltwater intrusion in to some of the aquifers, yet they won't stop building like crazy and binging more people in to the area.

We have a program to ask every other person from up North to go back there and help save Florida. It’s for the children.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    With all the talk about infrastructure, isn’t a nation’s water supply the most basic part of its infrastructure?

Boolit Master

A lot of new parking lots on base are using the grean method. Its like criss cross brick patch work. Lets water through and grass grow. Kind of cool if you ask me. Saw a thing a last year. It was permiable grey street. Last just as long as asphalt, allows water to drain through and the color reduces heat convection.

Nothing is ever a problem until it is. By the time it is a problem it is to late.

They have been preaching water and power conservation in Florida since i was in third grade..... a really long time ago. EU countries turn sea water into drinking water just like our Naval ships. If a carrier can produce enough fresh water for 12k people, a city can do it.

On a side note about California... they had plenty. But the messed it all up with water rights and rerouting their rivers. The Kings River (the main central valley river) has been rerouted a couple times. It doesnt help they are pumping more out of their aquifer than can rain can replenish. Their earth quakes and sink holes are on the rise. They get a decent amount of rain during the El Nino year. So snow and El Nino year is water refills their resivors. They were also importing water from Nevada I beleive. But due to that dam indangered guppy that was an invasive species they stopped importing water and thats what started them down this path. They were all ready fighting a loosing battle, they are a desert! They are going to be a dust bowel. Their only real option is to start converting saltwater into freshw ater for the cities. Then spray their grey and brown water on feilds to remplentish the aquifers. Let the farmers use aquifers.

Florida has feilds randomly. They spray treated sewage onto the feilds. Nature does the rest. By the time it hits the aquifer its clean drinking water. It really help our sink hole issue.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

I also believe aquaponic farming is the way of the future. Its way more sustainable than intensive farming. Uses a fraction of the water of traditional farming. All i do is feed my fish. During the height of summer i am topping up with about 20 to 30 gallons of water every two weeks, a third less than a raised grow bed of equal grow bed size (40 square feet). Only nutrients i add is potash (for PH) and iron biweekly (plants nutrients) and monthly I toss in a little sea weed extract for macro nutrients. During the winter I top off monthly with sbout 20 ish gallons. If i increases my growbeds i wouldnt use much more water sonit scales really well. Water loss is do to evaporation. So 80 or 120 square feet of growing would loose about the same amount of water. Plants grow 3 times faster and produce 2 to 5 times more produce. No spacing requirements either because there is no competition over nutrients or water. Just far enough apart so they can get light.

I grow produce all through the winter also.

Now i can fish Blue Gill on my back porch.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Buddy
    Field flooding for ag. production and some grazing is still popular in the west. Overhead spray irrigation depends on the crop and soil content. There is no easy or simple answer except there is a drought occurring. Drought is just part of the climatic change and while some like to put the blame on mankind, it was occurring long before and will be occurring long after. Mankind is but a pimple and it is being squeezed!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    We have a program to ask every other person from up North to go back there and help save Florida. It’s for the children.
    make you a deal. We will take one back for every one you sent us after the civil war ended. I live in a small town tourist area. In the summer id bet my house percentage wise we have as many southerners up here escaping the heat then you do northerner's down there in the winter escaping the cold. You tell your people to stay out of my town and to stop putting tent communes on our pristine beaches and ill do the same. Last year with covid youd think they would have stayed home but NOPE i think the word got out that numbers were real low here and it was the only safe place to vacation. Our tourist numbers tripled from the year before which was already a record year. My niece owns a resort and she said that people coming last year put in so many future reservations that she doesnt have an opening for the next 2 years and neither do any of the other resorts. Camp grounds. Good luck with that. There packed every day.

People find any 2 track road and pull there campers into the woods somewhere, even may sleeping in there cars. They cut the trees even on private land for firewood and leave there trash and campsites a total mess. Some even were buying tents because they couldnt get a room or cabin and pitching them in the woods and when they were dont just leaving them, sleeping bags and everything else. Three times last year i had to chase off motor homes that pulled off the road in MY DRIVEWAY to spend the night. The woods i hunt was littered with them. I picked up 4 trash bags full of soda and beer cans off the beach in two weeks last year. Sorry but im sure theres good people down your way but theres also some real trash! I will make you one rock solid deal. You stay in FL and ill stay in MI. Ive been there and never felt the need to return. Way to HOT way to HUMID and WAY TO MANY PEOPLE!! At least we have peaceful winters. The lightweights go running when the temps drop and the snow falls.

Boolit Master
    Sitting next to Lake Superior, these drought problems seem far away. Superior has enough water in it to cover South, Central and North America with two feet! The Lake does fluctuate, having been low enough recently to antagonize shipping tonnage. We got an inch and a quarter of rain Sunday but Southern Minnesota has drought conditions. The Mississippi is at historic lows. But flooding has been more prevalent in the recent past in the Midwest than drought.

When the golf courses turn brown in Phoenix and Southern California they will have a problem.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    18.20 inches, Is what we had just in May 2021, Yall welcome to come get some and bring it home.
    We have plenty !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    18.20 inches, Is what we had just in May 2021, Yall welcome to come get some and bring it home.
    We have plenty !
    And, whatever y'all get in rain we ultimately get up here in the Arkansas. As far as folks moving North or South depending on the time of year; it don't matter to us as long as they keep on a'going through Arkansas.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Banned

ya Joe i sometimes think the farm countrys right in the middle of the country are where to live. NO TOURISTS to bother the piece and quiet. good hunting and fishing and for the most part conservative.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    ya Joe i sometimes think the farm countrys right in the middle of the country are where to live. NO TOURISTS to bother the piece and quiet. good hunting and fishing and for the most part conservative.
    Yep, we just sit on the porch and watch 'em going back and forth.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    The parish sells us rain drums ready to go here,35 bucks each,These are used to catch rainwater for the gardens.
    Must sux to live in a Commie state where catching rain water is forbidden.
    It isn't that it's a commie State, it is that the water is already owned as soon as it falls from the sky. Blame whichever Judge you want, as too many have upheld it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    There a lot of things you can do without for differing times including food, but cut off the water and you are in big trouble fast!

.......... and the left knows this!

Control baby!

But without gun confiscation, you end up with a revolution!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

There be lots of tourists to Stuttgart Arkansas every fall and winter....
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    It isn't that it's a commie State, it is that the water is already owned as soon as it falls from the sky. Blame whichever Judge you want, as too many have upheld it.
    That's just crazy, Guess a person never really owns anything thanks to .Gov

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    Yep, we just sit on the porch and watch 'em going back and forth.
    That's funny right there.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    More than one state has laws against collecting rain water. More than one state has mineral rights also. If you find a diamond or oil in your back yard keep it a secret just like collecting rain water and the number of guns you own.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Buddy
    The real question is ....Why would it not be the new oil??? Everything has to have it. It can be controlled, bought, sold, rerouted and have its rights controlled. IT can be stored, shipped and everything in between and like everything else its a method of control....If gas gets to expensive, there are alternative means....If water prices go up....You, me and everybody in between are paying them..........

Boolit Master
    I've only had rural water for fifteen years so going back to the well wouldn't take much work.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    make you a deal. We will take one back for every one you sent us after the civil war ended. I live in a small town tourist area. In the summer id bet my house percentage wise we have as many southerners up here escaping the heat then you do northerner's down there in the winter escaping the cold. You tell your people to stay out of my town and to stop putting tent communes on our pristine beaches and ill do the same. Last year with covid youd think they would have stayed home but NOPE i think the word got out that numbers were real low here and it was the only safe place to vacation. Our tourist numbers tripled from the year before which was already a record year. My niece owns a resort and she said that people coming last year put in so many future reservations that she doesnt have an opening for the next 2 years and neither do any of the other resorts. Camp grounds. Good luck with that. There packed every day.

People find any 2 track road and pull there campers into the woods somewhere, even may sleeping in there cars. They cut the trees even on private land for firewood and leave there trash and campsites a total mess. Some even were buying tents because they couldnt get a room or cabin and pitching them in the woods and when they were dont just leaving them, sleeping bags and everything else. Three times last year i had to chase off motor homes that pulled off the road in MY DRIVEWAY to spend the night. The woods i hunt was littered with them. I picked up 4 trash bags full of soda and beer cans off the beach in two weeks last year. Sorry but im sure theres good people down your way but theres also some real trash! I will make you one rock solid deal. You stay in FL and ill stay in MI. Ive been there and never felt the need to return. Way to HOT way to HUMID and WAY TO MANY PEOPLE!! At least we have peaceful winters. The lightweights go running when the temps drop and the snow falls.
    You got it right, “To. Many people”. I don’t see it ending well, but I do see there are too many people on this earth and the problem is only getting worse.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast