Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners PBcastco

Thread: When did RCBS change from a wrench to the T-handle on the lube rod? - Lube-A-Matic II

Boolit Mold

When did RCBS change from a wrench to the T-handle on the lube rod? - Lube-A-Matic II

Greetings,

I'm new here and haven't even cast a boolit yet, but I'm collecting equipment and supplies. I bought a Lube-A-Matic II on eBay which I've just received. It has a T-handle with balls on each end on the lube rod (terminology?) instead of the hex with a wrench as shown in the only instructions I can find online.

The one I received is very clean and almost new looking, and came with dies and top punches for .308 and .358. I paid $200, which I think was O.K., given my favorite retailer doesn't even have them in stock.

Anyway, I was wondering when RCBS went from the hex with wrench to the T-handle. Anyone know? Also, where can I find instructions that show the model I have?

Thanks,

jv

Boolit Master
    The obvious difference between the Lube-a-matic and the LAM II is the Pressure feed assy. The first version has a bolt through the bottom of the casting that extends out of the top of the casting. The hollow lube stick is inserted into the chamber sliding over the threaded rod. The washer and pressure nut are installed on the threaded rod and the ratchet wrench is used to turn the threaded shaft.

On the LAM II, the hollow stick of lube is installed in the press housing, and the rod and pressure assy are then installed in the cast body and is held in place with the threaded cap. The sliding rod does not have to be removed to install new lube sticks.
    Last edited by Dusty Bannister; 06-19-2021 at 05:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Madisonian;5210994]Greetings,
    Also, where can I find instructions that show the model I have?

https://www.rcbs.com/rcbs-support/rc...tructions.html

I hated the rod. Always was having the rod in the wrong place and interfering with main lever.

I removed it and took a road find 3/8" drive socket that just fit over the shaft sticking up, cross drilled the socket so a bolt would go through the hole in the shaft formerly occupied by that silly little rod with the balls on the end.

I then put a ratchet in the socket and use that to squeeze out the lube. About one or two clicks of the ratchet is enough rotation to lube the average boolit.

Much easier with the back and forth movement of the ratchet than rotation with the horizontal rod.

Suspect a 1/4" socket/ratchet combination would work just as well, certainly don't need all the leverage of the 3/8" ratchet, it was just the first that came to hand.

Boolit Master

Bought my first lube amatic II in 1983 it had the t handle
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Madisonian View Post

Anyway, I was wondering when RCBS went from the hex with wrench to the T-handle. Anyone know?

jv
    Are you sure you're not confusing with Lyman? I have both and I have to say having a socketed screwdriver on top of Lyman is better for sure.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by dimaprok View Post
    Are you sure you're not confusing with Lyman? I have both and I have to say having a socketed screwdriver on top of Lyman is better for sure.

I'm sure.

What's a "socketed screwdriver?"

Better than what?

Quote Originally Posted by Madisonian View Post
    I'm sure.

What's a "socketed screwdriver?"

Better than what?
    Better than RCBS. Its just a typical screwdriver that accepts 1/4" hex bits, I use that instead of wrench, its not in the way and works great. I actually bent the rod on RCBS when I put it in the wrong spot. This is my Lyman 45 that I got for free but it works great.

Boolit Master
    The tee handle seems to work just fine. Yes, you have to slide it over every few turns so it clears the press but that is effortless.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"