RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Quick, Cheap, Sweet & Spicy Rib Rub

Vendor Sponsor

Quick, Cheap, Sweet & Spicy Rib Rub

I gave up on commercial rubs long ago, they are all just too salty!

My rub is SO simple it's pathetic! But good!

Mix together equal parts Cinnamon, Curry Powder, Cayenne Pepper. That's IT!

I pull the membrane off the back of my baby back ribs, in the middle of the back of the slab work your fingers under the membrane, lift and pull it off and discard. At this point I sprinkle my ribs with dried and crushed up African Blue Basil, an herb that you can grow that gives a sweet flavor and fragrance to ribs, but if you don't have any, that's fine.

Sprinkle the rub on both sides and the bone ends of the ribs, cook at 325F on a grill or smoker until a toothpick slides easily between the bones, turn heat back and slather with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, let cook another 20-30 mins until sauce thickens and caramelizes, Slice and serve!!!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

DAN-O's??

Good stuff!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Moderator Emeritus

Cinnamon in large amounts on meat turns me off... just wrong...

Vendor Sponsor

Cinnamon and basil on pork are really good. Sauteed pork chops with a bit of both are great. On ribs, you don't really taste the cinnamon, or the curry powder, you taste the basil and the Sweet Baby Rays and of course the hickory smoke flavor.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

With that much cinnamon I would taste and smell it... not a fan of curry either(I hate the flavor of coriander when it is prominent, small amounts okay).

I tend towards more traditional pork rubs.

And I never use BBQ sauce on my ribs! I have it on the side for those who want it... and have tossed bottles of it because it expired from nobody eating it!

Vendor Sponsor

Well, LOL you ARE quite a bit N of the Mason Dixon so there is that.. Down South, and I mean way on down there, we cook the sauce onto the meats, let it caramelize and it becomes this sweet sticky mess that gets all in your moustache and all over your fingers, we have this thing we call finger lickin' good but I don't guess you yankees got that up there cause it don't sound like there is much to get on your fingers.

Personally I detest going to a BBQ house and they serve the meat naked and you put the sauce of your choice on after the fact. That's not Bar Be Que. That's meat with a side of sauce.

Boolit Master
    never tried cinnamon or curry
    I been making bar b due rub with equal parts , about 1/2 cup each
    salt
    raw sugar
    smoked paprika

maybe at least 4 tablespoons garlic powder, can never use too much garlic on pork or chicken
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 tablespoon black pepper

then fool around a bit with maybe 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, cayenne pepper and sometimes cumin
    smoke ribs or chicken, rabbit ect, 2-3 hours at about 225-250 degrees, pork loin the same but pull it off when internal temp reaches 165

the secret ive found after smoking ribs, or whatever is to coat it with barbecue sauce after smoking and wrapping in foil and putting back on low heat 200 degrees maybe for another at least 1/2 hour
    I guess this is more traditional bar b que

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Well, LOL you ARE quite a bit N of the Mason Dixon so there is that.. Down South, and I mean way on down there, we cook the sauce onto the meats, let it caramelize and it becomes this sweet sticky mess that gets all in your moustache and all over your fingers, we have this thing we call finger lickin' good but I don't guess you yankees got that up there cause it don't sound like there is much to get on your fingers.

Personally I detest going to a BBQ house and they serve the meat naked and you put the sauce of your choice on after the fact. That's not Bar Be Que. That's meat with a side of sauce.
    Nobody uses it with my BBQ LOL and I have won awards with my ribs, and have people who are from the deep south say they are some of the best ribs they have ever had. I serve them "dry" aka with an extra shake of rub on them. Which IS a southern BBQ style! Very popular in Memphis...

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    never tried cinnamon or curry
    I been making bar b due rub with equal parts , about 1/2 cup each
    salt
    raw sugar
    smoked paprika

maybe at least 4 tablespoons garlic powder, can never use too much garlic on pork or chicken
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 tablespoon black pepper

then fool around a bit with maybe 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, cayenne pepper and sometimes cumin
    smoke ribs or chicken, rabbit ect, 2-3 hours at about 225-250 degrees, pork loin the same but pull it off when internal temp reaches 165

the secret ive found after smoking ribs, or whatever is to coat it with barbecue sauce after smoking and wrapping in foil and putting back on low heat 200 degrees maybe for another at least 1/2 hour
    I guess this is more traditional bar b que
    The ONLY time I foil ribs is if I need to hold them while waiting for people to arrive. Otherwise I serve them right off the pit...

Hard to go wrong with Sweet Baby Rays. Though I will admit that after mixing up a dry rub, we dont use sauce anymore. Its basically only for lil smokies now

Boolit Grand Master
    Much prefer Head Country sauce, but SIL got me a jar of "Mrs. Renfro's ghost pepper BBQ sauce". Talk about HOT, but really good on ribs. I usually like mine naked also, but make an exception now and then. Like Head Countrys rub too.
    Dang---getting hungry for ribs now!!!

Boolit Bub
    "I hate the flavor of coriander when it is prominent, small amounts okay"

Coriander is a no, no. Just me.

The rub DougGuy sounds pretty inviting.

Mark