Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Easy .41 magnum shotshells

The .30-30 brass trick works well for the .41 Magnum shot loads. I've been doing it for years that way, and .30-30 brass is plentiful, too.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

That sounds like a good use of old 30-30 brass. Can you give more details?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

I trim the .30-30 brass to be just short of the end of the cylinder, then run it through a .41 Magnum sizer die. The rims need to have a few thousandths taken off, especially for recessed cylinders. I used to do it with my drill press and a file, but I've got a small lathe now and if I need to make some, I'll just do it on the lathe.

I fire formed the brass with a few grains of fast burning powder and some cornmeal, and then just load them like any other handgun shot shell. I don't remember what the powder charge was when I made them a long time ago, and it was before I started keeping good notes.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Thanks, Fred. I noticed a bit of clearance at the base of a 30-30 case chambered in the .41 cylinder. Does the case swell out ahead of the web after fire forming? I'm sure that it's no big deal at the low pressures involved but I'm curious.
    Not legally shootable, but my nephew reported a 4 foot velvet tail on the road last night- so it is a bit snakey this year.....

The rather thin .30-30 brass fire forms to pretty much seal the chamber, and like you noted, we're dealing with some rather low pressures with these loads. I haven't had to load any in a number of years, since moving to the Oregon Coast from snake country. The only snake we have here is a small garter snake. Rattlers are over in Central Oregon, on the high desert and in the mountains.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I gotta try this ! Awesome post Tex !
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

I like your methods. I have made shotshells for a variety of handguns, 38, 41, & 45 Colt for sure. I haven’t even looked for the Speer capsules in a long time. I bought enough #11 shot to last a lifetime. I use a small charge of fast powder, usually Titegroup.

I normally have just put some fingernail polish on top to hold the shot in place. I did try some 410 wads, I cut them thinner, then put on top of powder so as to not mix with shot, 41 cal.

Boolit Master

Tag for later to do when I get back home.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for posting this, definitely loading up some of these. To date I’ve always used shot capsules in my 44’s and 38’s. But I like this better. And since I’ve been wanting some for my 41’s, I think these will be perfect.

I bought some .41 brass on S&S months ago and just broke it out. 50 rounds of which I discovered that 31 of them appear to have been run through a 10mm sizing die! I tried to see if I could make them work with bullets- but Noooo.
    Lemonade from lemons; these are designated shot load brass until I see if they fireform back to .41 mag dimensions.
    The one I loaded had an ok pattern at ten feet as seen on the dryer in my scrap trailer.
    The highlight is about a one foot circle.

Boolit Master
    I had not thought of making shot shells for my 41 but with 30/30 brass usable for cases I think I will build a few. With a full cylinder length cases, I should be able to get a fair amount of #9 shot in the case.

Boolit Master

rbuck351
    If you will read down the post list to #18, "460 cases for 45 Colt shot loads" you will read about the issues others have run into with that procedure. I finally stopped working on the 460 cases for full length shot loads. Not wanting to deflate your project, on the contrary. I would encourage you to venture into your project. You may find a solution that I could use to continue my 460 full length shot cartridges. The biggest and worst issue, was firing the full length cartridge, and getting "setback" bad enough to not be able to pull the hammer back easily enough for follow-up shots. Please dont let me discourage you. If you start your project, please post us updates on how you are doing.
    Regards
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    I had forgot about the head space issues in revolvers. I just did a bit of messing with a 30/30 case and although I haven't got the velocity up yet, I haven't had an issue with the cyl not turning easily yet.

Boolit Grand Master

Then there is always the 414 Superag Brass.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Apparently, ReloaderFred didn't/doesn't have any issues with the 30-30 case setback, compared to my 460 cases for my 45 Colt shot loads. I'm wondering if his
    30-30 cases are thick enough, and the pressures low enough, that his cases are not fully fire forming where the transition from the chamber to the throat to cause any set back issue. Hopefully, ReloaderFred will comment as bout this.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

I patterned the "10mm mouth" loads on a feed sack at ten feet. Still usable but not as good as the true .41s. #12 shot and #9 shot L to R. Roughly one foot circles.

Boolit Bub
    I have wanted to make .41 shot loads for a while, thanks for the inspiration

Boolit Master
    I made a few cases from 30/30 brass full cyl length which sorta worked at very low pressure but velocity was so low that penetration suffered badly. I gave up on the 30/30 brass as it's easier to just use 41 mag brass although the 30/30 worked just as well.
    I use #9 shot and can get 3/8 oz in either the 41 or the 30/30 case which gives decent pattern at 10yds or so. Not tight enough for snakes but good enough for grouse and such.

Boolit Master
    "Texas by God," thanks for this thread! I just found a nice used Blackhawk in .41 with the 6 1/2-inch barrel and will attempt to source some #12 shot. This small stuff is so superior to the 8, 8 1/2 and 9 shot that you have to see it to believe it. I've shot rattlesnakes with the commercial CCI loads in .38/.357 and .44 Special/.44 Magnum and I got a writhing mess of fouled-up buzztail that took more shots to put down. But a little CCI snake load out of a .22 pistol? It's like flicking off the light switch -- instant result with scarcely a quiver. These ought to come in handy now that I live in "the rattlesnake capital of Texas." (That's the Chamber of Commerce's version anyway.)
    By the way, those sure are handsome stag grips you put on your sixgun.

Thanks for the kind words, Albert. #12 is the Buisiness, for sure!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12