Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night casting?

Boolit Buddy

Night casting?

On most nights, everyone else is in bed a good three hours or more before I am. I've been giving thought to setting up my Lee pot on the lower patio where there's plenty of light...and start cranking out bullets. Not sure if there are any safety concerns working at night. That's really the only thing stopping me.

Anyone cast later at night? Anything to be mindful of?

Thanks

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Insects will be attracted to the light.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Most of all of my reloading and casting endeavours take place long after most folks are in bed. I have a very well lit room and sort of lose myself for a few hours. I sure hope there aren't any negative effects?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Most of all of my reloading and casting endeavours take place long after most folks are in bed. I have a very well lit room and sort of lose myself for a few hours. I sure hope there aren't any negative effects?

You cast in a room? Aren't you worried about the fumes?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    Insects will be attracted to the light.

I thought about that. Do people still use bug zapper lights?

I remember my parents had one growing up.

Boolit Buddy
    Bugs might be good flux.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    Bugs might be good flux.
    Like people they have a lot of water in them.

Boolit Master
    A screened in porch might be OK, other wise, skeeters, and other flying insects may encourage a visit from the tinsel fairy. Hopefully, the bugs never get below the surface, but I would not think the session would be very relaxing. Good luck, wear protection.
    Last edited by Dusty Bannister; 06-19-2021 at 08:50 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Gentle fan should 1) move some fumes, & 2) move some bugs. I'd just do if you want to.

Boolit Buddy
    I cast at night in the summer months. The AC in my shop can't compete with 98 degree temps.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    A screened in porch might be OK, other wise, skeeters, and other flying insects may encourage a visit from the tinsel ferry. Hopefully, the bugs never get below the surface, but I would not think the session would be very relaxing. Good luck, wear protection.
    The only way the tensile fairy could pay a visit is if you wind up with some 2 pound insect that is capable of breaking the surface tension of the lead! Highly unlikely. The most that’ll happen is you’ll wind up with a couple of cooked bugs! Even that is highly unlikely. I’d be more worried about getting mosquito bites than anything else. Then again that’s what they make off f!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    I usually cast at night, in my garage, with the door open and the table pulled to the door with a fan on to push fumes out. Haven't had any trouble with bugs, and we get a lot of bugs out here.

Just make sure you get a good, stable work area set up how you need it so you can work without having to look for stuff or find a place to set things, and nothing wobbles when it shouldn't.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Go look at the light splash around your outdoor lighting setup. Are there european hornets attracted to it? If the answer is no, make bullets!

Long ago, I use to cast in the middle of the night in my garage. I worked shift work for 14 years. I never had any problems with bugs. The far S.E. corner of Oklahoma is as humid & hot as it gets during the summer. I actually enjoyed it. No A/C of course, just a pedestal stand fan. But that was 35 years ago. A lot has changed since. I now live in a different house with a garage and a small shop at the back of the property. My casting and reloading shop was once a very small daycare center. Bead board walls, etc. And it has A/C to boot.

Safety wise, my biggest concern these days are the people of the night who wander our alleys looking for things to steal. Being retired, I'm sometimes up at 4:00AM sitting on my deck having coffee, listening to the birds. Our little town is 7,000 population wise, but our crime rate is one of the highest in the state. Meth users (Tweakers) are unpredictable as it gets. My property is fenced, but never under estimate a druggie. About the only way I'd cast in the middle of the night, is make my shop into what may look to some like a clandestine lab. I don't want it getting any of the tweakers attention. And I sure wouldn't do it without a gun on my hip.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
    You cast in a room? Aren't you worried about the fumes?
    Yes I do and no I'm not.
    I have several windows open and fans behind my back blowing towards them. I've had lead levels drawn on me several times and am on the low end of the normal range.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    Go look at the light splash around your outdoor lighting setup. Are there european hornets attracted to it? If the answer is no, make bullets!

There was one trying to find either a place to live or work it's way into my home earlier last month. Thing was the size of a bird! So I know they are out there. Are they nocturnal? Can they survive electrocution by a HF tennis racket/fly swatter?

chubacabra are out at night right?

Quote Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
    There was one trying to find either a place to live or work it's way into my home earlier last month. Thing was the size of a bird! So I know they are out there. Are they nocturnal? Can they survive electrocution by a HF tennis racket/fly swatter?
    Don't do that you'll just make mongo mad.

They have a red face, yellow and black body, loud wings (you can easily hear them from 30 feet away, the pitch of their wing beats sounds like a radio control drone), are about an inch and a half long, as thick as your finger, and always angry.

I don't know why they are so aggressive, I am learning to just accept it.

They bite and they sting. Repeatedly.

I hope your hornets are friendlier than mine .

I cast at night with a headlamp. I think you'll be alright.

Banned
    chubacabra --- is that the south of the border tinsel fairy ???

Boolit Master

When I first started casting on My own, I cast only at night. Only time I had to cast as I worked can't see to can't see, going to an Indoor Range 2-3 nights a week. Halfway out the patio door of My 3rd floor apt. Used a Leather mallet as I had to keep quiet and not wake the neighbors. No bugs at the beach either.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast