RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Nick on edge of cavity

Boolit Master

Nick on edge of cavity

I have a 6 cavity Lee 9mm 120 grain mold.

It looks like the previous owner might have used some metallic item to push a sticky bullet out of one of the cavities, producing a small nick in the base of bullet poured in that cavity.

Does anyone have any experience with how much difference shooting those bullets will make when practicing at ~ 10 yards?

I hate to spend the time sorting these out if the gain is only minimal.

Alternatively, any ideas on blocking this cavity on the sprue plate so it doesn't get filled (bottom pour)?
    Last edited by cabezaverde; 06-18-2021 at 01:57 PM.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Grand Master
    At 10 yards, my vote is on minimal difference. Especially if you run them through a sizing die before loading.

Robert
    Last edited by Mk42gunner; 06-19-2021 at 09:21 PM. Reason: missing letter

Boolit Master
    I've got a 9mm Lee mould, it has a little nick in the mould at the top, it's on the little piece that puts the itty-bitty radius on the bottom of the boolit. If you are looking for it, you can see it. Works just fine, shoots just fine, it's my excuse for not being as good as I should be. (I'm the guy that tried to push out a sticky boolit, never tried that again)
    Don't worry about it, I don't. Maybe one of these days I'll sort out the one boolit that comes out of that particular cavity, load and shoot a bunch of them, and see if it makes a difference at 30 yards, that's the range length. My guess is, no.
    10 yards? I'd bet it'll still shoot better than most everyone can when they just stand on their hind legs, and better than I can off a bench.

That small nick will make no difference. As mentioned before, if you run them through a sizer, you won't see any difference at any distance(unless you are a superhuman shot).
    Don't waste your time sorting or plugging the cavity. Shoot them and enjoy.
    Over the years, I have cast some really nasty looking boolits and shot them. They all go into the group with the rest of them. The group "may" be slightly larger for it, but with my skill level, I would never know. All my cast boolit of weights from 115 grains to 135 grains go to the same impact point in my firearms. A little nick isn't going to cause an issue.