Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: bionic man

Banned

bionic man

found out yesterday i need a right hip replacement. Scheduled for mid july. Already have a left hip replacement and a right ankle replacement. one more and i should be able to hook up to a computer and jump over buildings!!! Im hoping the pain radiating down my leg and up into my back is being caused by the hip too. If not im probably looking at back surgery #6. At least hips are no big deal. Go home the same day.

Banned

The good news is hip replacements seem to be almost routine and recovery time is fast. My Dad, who has always sprung back from stuff fast, had it done a few years ago when he was in his late 70s, through the walker away the first day, the cane a few days later, was driving and doing all the stuff he wasn't supposed to do for a month or more by the end of the week, Mom couldn't get him not to. He's still pretty mobile for a guy who's 85, foot problems seem to me what is slowing him down now.

Good luck, hopefully it keeps you in the game. I worry about developing a mobility problem of some type eventually, just can't stand the thought of not being able to get up and do stuff.

Banned

ya it must have changed some. Last one i spent a night in the hospital and used crutches for a couple days. Doc now has his own operating room right in his office does them there says he does a pain block and you can walk out 3 hours later without crutches. He said the replacement he uses is better then the first one he put in my too. I do get some soreness in that one and he said its about eliminated with this new design. Little pain isnt a big deal. Ive lived with it every day since 1974 in one way or another. Like you though i get nervous when im like i am now and it gets to the point i cant do what i love. Told the doc id better be ready come sept 1 for crop damage shooting or no summer sausage for him. I had to laugh yesterday though. Doctor is a pretty cool guy. He told me much more and the crematorium is going to make a killing off of scrap metal.

Boolit Master

Good luck to you LLoyd.

Banned

I read somewhere recently where a guy had a hip replacement and had the doctor clean up the hip joint they took out and he made a cane handle out of it to use. Actually kinda cool in a macabre sort of way.

Hope everything goes well for you.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I read somewhere recently where a guy had a hip replacement and had the doctor clean up the hip joint they took out and he made a cane handle out of it to use. Actually kinda cool in a macabre sort of way.
    yup a bit creepy. Now if it was the spine out of my ex wife maybe!!

Boolit Master
    Sounds like they're using the newer surgery. Got my right hip done in 2009, 4-1/2lbs of chrome-moly steel, zirconia ceramic, and HDPE. 3" hole through the middle of the gluteus maximus. That took over a year to heal, though I was in less pain when I woke from the surgery than I'd been in when they knocked me out. 2014 they did the left hip. 2" incision in the front of the thigh, in soft tissue, missing all the muscle. I walked a quarter mile the first day and was back to work in 8 weeks. Admittedly, I was in the best physical condition I've been in since high school for the 2nd operation, but that surgery is way easier on the body than the one that goes in through the glute, and heals way faster.

The radiating pain should be the hip. If so, the surgery will fix it. If not, talk to a pain management doc about steroid injections near the spine, and if they work, irradiation of the nerves there may fix it for a while. When was talking to the doc who got my wife walking again about my back, he told me there was a 50% chance they could make the back better, and a 50% chance they'd make it worse. Hers was to the point nothing else could help. I had the nerves burned last March, just before the lockdown, and it's not as good as I'd hoped, but still better than it was. I'm good for about 10-15 minutes of doing stuff bent over, or hours and hours standing up straight, but when it gets too much, I can just sit down for an hour or so and I can get back to it. Good thing I decided to retire after the lockdown started. I'd have to have found a desk job, and I hate that kind of work.

I asked for my hip bones, and neither doc would give them to me. I have a macabre sense of humor, having spend much of my ten years as a photographer doing autopsy photos, among other things. Cane handles would be good.

Bill

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    yup a bit creepy. Now if it was the spine out of my ex wife maybe!!

Boolit Master
    Still have lost of my parts,missing my gall bladder l,surgery is leaps and bound over when I was a kid. Had eye surgery both eyes spent a month each time,had 2 more 20 years ago to repair damage from the first spent 3 hours out patient and home.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    Sounds like they're using the newer surgery. Got my right hip done in 2009, 4-1/2lbs of chrome-moly steel, zirconia ceramic, and HDPE. 3" hole through the middle of the gluteus maximus. That took over a year to heal, though I was in less pain when I woke from the surgery than I'd been in when they knocked me out. 2014 they did the left hip. 2" incision in the front of the thigh, in soft tissue, missing all the muscle. I walked a quarter mile the first day and was back to work in 8 weeks. Admittedly, I was in the best physical condition I've been in since high school for the 2nd operation, but that surgery is way easier on the body than the one that goes in through the glute, and heals way faster.

The radiating pain should be the hip. If so, the surgery will fix it. If not, talk to a pain management doc about steroid injections near the spine, and if they work, irradiation of the nerves there may fix it for a while. When was talking to the doc who got my wife walking again about my back, he told me there was a 50% chance they could make the back better, and a 50% chance they'd make it worse. Hers was to the point nothing else could help. I had the nerves burned last March, just before the lockdown, and it's not as good as I'd hoped, but still better than it was. I'm good for about 10-15 minutes of doing stuff bent over, or hours and hours standing up straight, but when it gets too much, I can just sit down for an hour or so and I can get back to it. Good thing I decided to retire after the lockdown started. I'd have to have found a desk job, and I hate that kind of work.

I asked for my hip bones, and neither doc would give them to me. I have a macabre sense of humor, having spend much of my ten years as a photographer doing autopsy photos, among other things. Cane handles would be good.

Bill
    ive had so much radiating pain in the last 45 years that its sometimes hard to nail it down. I do know the mail and most intense pain right now is in the hip. Doc said it was normal for a bad hip to send pain down your leg but wasnt to sure about the middle back. He said it was possible but his guess is thats a seperate problem. im pretty good with pain. The initial injury when i broke my back and busted up the rest me real well kind of hardened me to pain. I spent a year in the hospital and half of that so doped up i dont even remember alot of it.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I saw that too! Had a photo of it, was smaller than I thought it would be.....

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Both of mine have been done. Mine are made of titanium and zirconia ceramic. They say none have worn out yet.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post

Bill
    sounds like what he might have been talking about. He said recovery was much faster and it was less invasive. I dont get into the details. Hes a good doc. A nice guy and down to earth. One of those doctors that talks to you in english not doctor. Hes even an avid hunter and the first thing he said when he told me i had to have a replacement was does this get me on the list for summer sausage again this year. Laughed and told him youd probably tell me id need a replacement even if i didnt to get some. Im not one that needs every detail. He never asked a lineman to explain what they were doing putting power into his house and id dont need to know ever facet of his job. I will ask though after this post if that is what hes doing when i go in for my pre op appointment.

Boolit Master
    Good luck and speedy recovery Lloyd. I’ve been lucky so far but a knee replacement is in my near future. Had meniscus surgery 11 yrs ago and not much cushion left. Injections helped but fer a short while.
    Hip joints hurt but I’ll ride that out as long as I can.
    They say getting old isn’t fun. I’m beginning to catch on ,

Mike

Boolit Bub
    I once observed a total knee replacement in surgery, at the time I was in school and considering going to school as an anesthesiologist. The surgeon had a timer set and replaced the knee in under 30 min. It was interesting to watch, more akin to woodworking I felt. Saws, drills, templates, I ended up choosing another career path but it was an interesting lesson.
    Now I'm 30 years older, and soon need my knees replaced, my Army service saw that they wouldn't last.