Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Marlin 336 30-30

Boolit Master

Marlin 336 30-30

I have this gun and my neighbor wants to buy it. My question is, what would be a fair price? The rifle was purchased new in 1979 and I haven't shot 2 boxes of ammo through it. Any suggestions ?

IDK, but if it was my neighbor, I wouldn't charge a stranger's price, instead I'd find some online in the same condition that have actually sold recently, and ask for half of that - YMMV, of course.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

sparky: Three or four years ago I bought a very nice 336 30-30 (first year 336 1948) here at Boolits Swapping and Selling and paid $500. I've been happy with the deal. Gp

Boolit Master
    A 79' like new, my brother would not get it for less than four bills.

Boolit Master

Best bet is to pull up gunbroker.com and look up sold transactions with the stats of your gun. Not the current list prices, but the finished deals. That will give you a good starting point. $400 or so a year ago, now maybe closer to 5 or 600. Crazy people out there right now.

Boolit Master

Most gun "dealers" are harping that Marlin is gone and will never be the same quality again and are using that as an excuse to jack the price up on 336's. I bought one in excellent condition about 5 years ago (it was a 1976 336) and I paid $315.00 for it and that included tax, registration, and 1 box of ammo. I know they are worth a little more than that today but not $400.00 more. The asking prices in GB are just stupid, just look at the ones that were sold and that will get you into the ball park price. Just remember GB is noted for people paying outlandish prices at times, just like the buyers on EB. james

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Most gun "dealers" are harping that Marlin is gone and will never be the same quality again and are using that as an excuse to jack the price up on 336's. I bought one in excellent condition about 5 years ago (it was a 1976 336) and I paid $315.00 for it and that included tax, registration, and 1 box of ammo. I know they are worth a little more than that today but not $400.00 more. The asking prices in GB are just stupid, just look at the ones that were sold and that will get you into the ball park price. Just remember GB is noted for people paying outlandish prices at times, just like the buyers on EB. james
    Sadly, this ^^^^^

Granted it's the workings of a (mostly) free market, but I hate to see younger people priced out of buying one of the best utility guns ever made.

I paid $200 for my near-mint '70s vintage .30-30 in 1999. The .35 Remington 336 was a bequest from my old Dad. Two years ago they were being priced at $300-$350 asking in the local (Upper Ohio Valley) Bargain Hunter. Mostly WV sellers/buyers.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Thanks all; I made it by a couple of local shops (actual Gun Shops, not Pawn Shops) and the going price is closer to $650. My neighbor is the best, so I'm going to make him a deal.

Just checked GB and found a Marlin (Remlin) USED with a starting bid of $799 and a Buy it Now price of $1499. AND it already has a bid.
    Last edited by sparky45; 06-17-2021 at 09:09 PM.

Boolit Master
    Sell it to him for 4-500. He gets a deal in todays market, you get a deal for owning it for a few years. And you know it will be used for its intended purpose. If he doesn't bite, give me a call.

Boolit Master
    There's two for sale at a local shop that's known for selling at good prices.
    Marlin 336 30.30 E39xxx $699.95 JM STAMPED
    Marlin 336 30.30 20060xxx $899.95 SCOPE

After a family member recently died, the family sold off his guns. They had the guns appraised (for price) at a store that gave the family prices for cash or trade. Of course, the cash price was much lower, and that's the one they based the sales on (to family members).
    I'm thinking that if I got one of the Marlin 336s listed above, I'd be smiling if I paid $400 - $500. Great gun.
    Last edited by Battis; 06-19-2021 at 05:38 AM.

Agreed ! $400-500 depending on how close you are with the promise that if he sells it, he gives you first crack.

Just reminded myself of something I heard from a dealer at a Worthingon, Minnesota gun show in 1999. Now, if you look at a map, Worthington is pretty much the middle of nowhere. Open prairie, fields of corn/wheat/soybeans that go on for miles, and nothing else but the railroad,grain elevators, and I-90 headed for Iowa. But there he was, and doing a brisk business. He said that farmers were his best customers, because they bought guns as an inflation hedge. Better than gold, he said. Threads like this prove him right.
    Cognitive Dissident

FWIW, firearms have given me the best return on my investment for 40 years - MUCH better than any CD or most stock holdings.

When I retired a decade ago, the returns allowed me to retire debt-free (except for taxes/utilities/food) after I paid off my home mortgage, all credit cards, & vehicle loans. (and still keep a baker's dozen guns for my use)

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride