Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2

Thread: .22 RF vs Cast boolit load cost?

.22 RF vs Cast boolit load cost?

After doing a quick look around the internet, it seems Federal and Remington .22 LR in bulk packs, are averaging around 12˘ to 15˘ per round. I obtained these numbers on Ammo Seek. Primers seem to be around $200 per 1K (or there about via Gunbroker prices).

Granted, the members here run the gamut in age, etc. I recall the last rimfire drought after the election of 2008. After a period of time, numerous folks sold their .22 RF guns and went to loading .38 Specials to replace them.

Which is cheaper for you at this time? .22 RF at current prices, or loading your own?

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master

The one thing I never consider when I pull a trigger is how much does it cost. With that said, current prices will not be paid by this old boy.

Using existing stocks, not current crazy replacement prices; my lowest cost plain based small game and plinker loads are 7 cents.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Grand Master
    Right now it depends if you can even find ammo or components.

I used to have what I called my "six cent load" for .308 Winchester. This was back when primers were $12.50/M, powder was $20/lb, and lead was either scrounged or considerably under $1/lb. I thought about this last light and was afraid to figure the cost in todays components.

Robert

Banned
    I can reload 22lr for less than a penny per round.

I have adequate .22 in stock, but can reload .38 Special or .32 H&R Mag for 13-18 cents per round, even buying the cast slugs. Primers, last I could buy them, were $80/1000 (8 cents each; used to be 3 cents). Powder is still $32/lb.

9mm may be a bit higher because I prefer to load jacketed bullets.

My 500 S&W Mag is costing, depending on the giant bullet, somewhere between 77 cents per round (Cast Performance 440 grain gas check with Trail Boss) and $1.88 per round (Barnes XPB solid copper 325 gr with H110).

Boolit Master
    I can load 22lr as I have the equipment but I'm not going to unless my supply of 22lr runs out before I do. My current cost with the supplies I have in stock are around 3 cents @ for 38spl. My 22s I have were bought probably just a bit higher on average. It's kind of hard to be real accurate as I have been stockpiling for about 40 years. I have powder that cost about $3 per lb and primers that I bought for $10 per thousand. But a year ago I was paying $20 for primers and about the same for powder.

As for me I have my supply of 22lr for where I want it and as for reloading supplies I am where I want to be and also I have set up my 30 cals to shoot like 22lr and my 22-250 also. I have my 38/357 start to shoot lite loads when I want them like I am with my own short 12ga shells that I made up and short 9mm luger in my wheel gun for it and regular loads. Beside I use 32 cals also. I am set for all I load and supplies. I seen this coming from the last times around and stock up for when this now is here.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Leaves me out for a specific reply … the only 38 Spl owned was converted to 32-20
    No worries about 22rf supply. If the commercials run out, I too can reload a box of 50 in under 20 minutes
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master
    For cheap plinking, currently, a PCP air rifle is good enough for me. I would rather sell components and .22's and take the profit. It is not difficult to more than double/triple your "investment"....if you view primers and .22's that way.

When the craziness began I had a "lifetime" supply of stuff. But I assume shortages will not last for years, and hold back about a five year supply of inventory and sell the "excess" during shortages. Over the last couple of "panics" I have been able to recoup the cost of all the ammunition and components I have...so it is essentially "free".

I will be buying back when things level back out and wait for the next cycle. If there is never another shortage, dying with a "lifetime" of .22's, powder, and primers in stock will not matter anyway.

Average costs were about $15/brick for .22's, $24/k for primers and, except for Varget, $20/lb for powder...so my shooting costs have been low. Buying stuff in bulk and on sale makes a difference.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

I thought about reloading for the 22 as it sounded interesting. I swore the last panic I would not get caught short again and stocked up on when prices were three to four cents each. I have more than I could realistically shoot (prob over 20,000) including for family to shoot here. Still think it is a neat idea to be able to reload like some do.

Banned
    I just do it for the fun. I have shot about 50 rounds of ammunition in all my guns combined in the past 4 years. So a lifetiime supply for me is one box.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    I just do it for the fun. I have shot about 50 rounds of ammunition in all my guns combined in the past 4 years. So a lifetiime supply for me is one box.

Wow....you likely win the award for the lowest round count of any poster here.
    Don Verna

Must be one of those old hunters who fire two rounds to get his deer each year. One to check the sights, one to kill the deer.
    Cognitive Dissident

The 9 mm I lost in a boating accident can still be shot at $0.09 per round. I don’t think I will need to buy 22lr again.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Banned

Last shortage, I got my first Hornet specifically for this reason. Rimfire equivalent loads are easy and cheap. I'm sure if I didn't **** my time and the investment in a mold, it would be much, much cheaper than .22 LR now (45 grains of free lead and two grains of Bullseye plus a primer).

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    My stash and recent adds from more of Dad's stuff found I won't be buying much of anything for some time .

Currently pistols , cases 1.285" and under are $5.40/100 .
    Rifles <2" case length are running 6-14/100 .
    Rifles >2" case length are running 7-18/100 .
    If I were loading shotguns 12 ga would be 22-24/100 but I have north of 500# of 70s vintage lead shot and that number is based on 1997 steel shot .

I still have this urge for a 25 ACP rifle and revolver . The most expensive thing about it would be the the primer and initial brass cost . 2000 charges per lb , 350 bullets per lb ..... That's 6# of lead per # powder and 2 cartons of primers .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    I'm still shooting primers that I bought for 88 cents per 100.
    I shoot the oldest stuff first for plinking and shooting wax slugs.
    The newer primers are for hunting and serious shooting.
    Instead of rimfire .22s, I always pickup primers at gun shows, etc.