WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Hoo Hoo! I can see again!

Boolit Buddy

Hoo Hoo! I can see again!

Just got back from the VA where they did a little plastic surgery and lifted my eyebrow. Had surgery last year and they cut a nerve that controlled my eyebrow. After that my eyebrow was down so far my right eye was looking through the fuzzy eyebrow. Made it hard to get a good sight picture through my sights or scopes.

I went shooting yesterday for the first time and had lots of problems with my little Ruger .223. Scope was canted 25 degrees and eye relief was wrong, plus I forgot my screwdriver set!

Just checked my Krag that I had put a scout scope on and WOW!!! I can see fine again.

Going to the range again next Tuesday to shoot the Krag and sight in the scout scope. Tomorrow I'll reload for the .223 and take it along too.

After a year of complaining about it and the Dr's saying, "Oh we can fix that," but never did, I finally got a DR Lady who said, "When would you like for me to do that?" Still took almost two months to schedule the surgery.

Glad things are working out for you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Krag, sounds great, glad they were able to do the surgery you needed.
    My mother suffered a long time with drooping eye lids before she had that corrected. No one should wait to have their eye sight corrected unless they don’t realize it like some with cataracts.
    Get them scopes straighten and enjoy the new improved vision.

Mike

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Aah, great! I bet you enjoyed the range time

Boolit Bub
    Back in the mid 90's I took my grandpa to the eye Dr for a procedure. In ww2 gramps had an eye injury that caused severe damage. Well, the Dr removed a cornea and inserted a donor lens. Gramps could be a comical fella sometimes, when his eye healed it was really miraculous to see his reaction. After so many years of him having a blind side, it took awhile until family got used to it. But everytime someone came towards him from the blind side he'd jump and act like we were sneaking up on him. All in jest, but it was amazing witnessing him see from that eye after 45-50 years of it being mostly blind.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, it was great to get back to the Range. I had some jerks and problems seeing those little .223 holes, so completely screwed up my scope adjustments, but I'm going to the range Tuesday when the weather is supposed to cool down to 85 degrees. It's been over 100-110 the last few days. I'm having to do late evenings and early mornings in at my bench.

Was able to reload my .223 spotter rounds and have loaded up some .30-40 test loads to align the new scout scope on the Krag. I'm going down this morning to finish resizing some 120 grn .32-20 boolets I bought to .311" for the Krag and .308 for subsonic trigger work. These are PC in gold and look real good in terms of casting too.Nice uniform bases and easy resizing.

I'm still having some trouble remembering to lift my eyelid, got used to letting it droop. Well I'm burning daylight, suppose dto be 105 today and it just past 06:00 so I'll put on the coffee and get to resizing and cleaning the Ruger for TUesday..

Congratulations, Krag 1901. Nothing more precious than our eyesight. Be sure to wear shooting glasses.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    A productive morning today. Got about 2-3 Lbs of the 32-20 boolets resized and cleaned the Ruger. It wasn't real dirty but a couple of wet patches and a few dry and it's clean enough. No traces of copper and got the scope aligned. I'll check it at he range where I can get a good level and the eye relief for 14x is set good, at least for offhand.

Tonight is Mouse Fart Loading for the .308 and I'll have three rifles & 150 rnds set for Tuesday's shoot. I'm gonna take my time Tuesday with the Chrony as the range is open all day and it should be cool enough to shoot.

08:20 and the Sun is just starting to burn.

Boolit Master

Good that 'you can see the light again'!

Boolit Buddy
    It's good to getting re motivated after the last year of avoiding the .38 solution to depression. I getting the dexterity back into my left hand after the arm surgery too. SO 2021 is looking up!

Boolit Grand Master

ATTABOY !!!
    That Is Freaking AWESOME !

I hate Dr's who won't listen to you ... Thank Goodness you found one who would help you .
    I finally found a decent dr. about 10 years ago , but prior to that ... I had to deal with a couple idiots , fools and incompetent morons .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Great news and go put a smile on your face.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I went to the range yesterday and had an interesting day, Chrony shot craps, but still I got one run on the 120 grn .32-20 boolets in the .30 US Govt.

7.6 gr of 700X will get over 1420 fps! I may have to back off to four or five grains to be subsonic? I had wanted Mouse Pharts but ended up with Moose Pharts! Had five group inside 2" at 50 yds so they will shoot pretty well in the long throat Krag. I need more load development with them. Recoil was .22ish and seemed good for trigger practice.

The reference load I was using to sight in the scout scope was loaded in my oldest Krag brass lot#1. I must have shot this brass over 10x and had some cases were very hard to extract after firing 312-160-2R and 25 gr IMR-4198. I've been just neck sizing these for a while but may have to FL resize them. No other pressure signs, primers still rounded and normal, cases rechambered easy and extracted fine after getting them out.

Fortunately I was able to get 100 new Hornady cases a few months ago and held them in reserve until the 200 I have in rotation finally split their necks.

I was able to get the Scout Scope zeroed and it worked well, but 2x is not ideal. Why, because my right eye cataracts have gotten worse and at 50 yds the 6" bull is more a fuzzy dot. I may have to learn to shoot left handed!

I've been debating spending the $150 for a Vortex 2-7x scout scope, the 2x Simmons pistol scope is okay but marginal if my eye does not work well. Still the Simmons proved the rail was a good thing on the Krag and the scope cost me nothing as I bought it for a pistol scope lo these many moons ago.

My wife had laser surgery for her eyes and now only needs dollar store reading glasses. May have to break down and get some supplemental insurance to pay for new eyes. She's worn glasses since she was three, I've worn them for 60 years.

I get the stitches taken out of my eyebrow on Thursday, so maybe if I cry to the VA they will do something about my cataracts? Here's hoping. They were pretty good with my cancer , referring me to the Davis Oncology and Radiation clinic here in town. Those surgeries would have cost me over $400,000! Thank goodness I'm in Sacto and not Far Back Arkansas!

Well guys it's after 05:00 and I need to go down and clean up the Krag before the weather get hot again!

So, though frustrating in some ways, it was a good day at the range and I came home with enough ammo to go again next week.

Those .32-20 boolets were Hi-Teck powder coated, a neat Gold, and resized easily to .311". I haven't checked yet but I doubt they leaded at all. I may have to get an oven and some Smoke's and get into to PC'ing. Shake and Bake may be better than LLA and drying boolets in the sun.