Load DataInline FabricationPBcastcoLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What is your main use for a .22 RF?

What is your main use for a .22 RF?

I think this may be an interesting thread. Given the lack of, and current price of .22 RF. What would drive some to pay so much for it? I'm doing fine on my current stock given what I use mine for. Which is mostly plinking, and the occasional squirrel hunt now and then. If I'm plinking, 50-100 rounds usually quenches my thirst for a few weeks. If I'm hunting, I probably won't need more than 20 rounds, if that many. I have a Remington 541-T with a 2X7 Leupold that just doesn't miss, I do. I have a couple of plinking .22's as well. A Remington Nylon 66 and a Remington 510 single shot.

Chime on in guys, I'm curious!

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

I only shoot 22lr during the 22 phase of an NRA Pistol Match.

Cheers,

Dave

The wild price surge and shear scarcity of .22RF flipped it from my most shot cartridge to my least shot, since I've been forced to view my stock of it as practically irreplaceable. It used to be my first choice for skill maintenance, plinking, pests, and small game; but now I only turn to it when anything center fire would pose a specific danger or nuisance. Light CF handloads have replaced the bulk of my .22RF round count.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master

22RF current usage by me is:

(1) 1st Step Training for Revolver/Rifle Shooting to new shooters in the family & Friends circle.
    (2) Rifle and Pistol Shooting with the Grandkids when they come to visit.
    (3) Range pick up of my and others 22/17 Brass to be used as "Donor" material for Swaging Rifle Bullets.

P.S. I have accumulated over the decades so I do NOT need to buy more for some time. When supply/prices return I will slowly replenish stocks.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 06-17-2021 at 04:03 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

I am going through all my jars of found 22 ammo. I have picked up thousands of dented, bent, and /or dud cartridges over the years and most will fire if straightened out and single loaded. If they don't I pull them apart and recycle the lead, burn the powder and smash the brass for the scrap yard.. Occasionally I will find a bunch with nothing wrong and those go through the High Standard or the Ruger for practice and just for fun. I was thinking of getting another 22 rifle to go along with the 5 or 6 i have already. I have had a Remington 550 , a 10-22, a Mohawk C10 Remington, and a couple of others and I would replace a couple of those if the opportunity came along, especially the 550.
    Last edited by frkelly74; 06-18-2021 at 07:24 AM.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Plinking, hunting, and target shooting. I accumulated quite a bit of ammunition after the last shortage so I am in decent shape.
    I am getting too old for walking in the woods the way I used to so that part will be less used now and in the future.
    Most recently, I have begun benchrest shooting which requires match grade ammunition. I have been able to fill my current needs so far, at normal match grade prices.
    I still use a lot of my 22lr ammo for handgun practice. A couple of revolvers and a couple of semi-autos get the use for that.

Boolit Master
    I use my 22's for groundhogs and new shooters.

Boolit Bub
    Primary use is for squirrels, 100+/- a year.
    Varmint control for garden and home orchard, coons, possums and armadillos.
    I’m still loading 9mm for $40/1,000. Shooting about 200 rounds practice and one PPC Match a week keeps me smiling.

Quote Originally Posted by bullet maker 57 View Post
    I use my 22's for groundhogs and new shooters.
    Why would you want to shoot someone just getting started in the sport?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Why would you want to shoot someone just getting started in the sport?
    For their ammo?

Boolit Master
    As I get older about the only time I shoot a 22 rifle, is for trapped coon, and varmint shooting around the farm. Lately I've been shooting gophers and ground squirrels with a 17HMR. It really tears them to pieces.

Boolit Master

Plinking
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Plinking and Varment eradication

Super Moderator

I use mine for formal and informal target shooting, pest eradication, and plinking.

Banned
    plinking

training children, grandchildren and soon great grandchildren

hunting very rarely any more

Steve in N CA

Boolit Grand Master
    Mostly in the varmint eradication role this year, given the almost non existent replacement stock.

Robert

Vendor Sponsor

I use a lot for plinking but if I run low I will reserve enough hollow points to be sure I can do all the squirrel hunting I need to do. I can plink with other calibers but limited to rim fire for small game hunting

Informal target shooting of the back porch while we are bbq’ing dinner

Boolit Man
    As entry level for new shooters. I had three ER nurses out yesterday. Started them with a ruger mark 1, moved up through .380 to
    9mm , 38 spc., .45acp, .44mag and 10mm auto. By easy steps I had first time shooters shooting full house .44 mag rounds and cheering each other on. Then I had them picking up all the brass and shot-gun hulls they could Find. I always come back from
    the national forest with 5 times as much brass as brought.

In the last shortage my Ruger 10/22 got cleaned, oiled, put away.

.22lr stocks got stacked back up but I never really felt the desire to get the .22 out.

Now .22lr prices are even higher. I did burn 50 rounds sighting in a H&R sportsman in .22lr.
    Shoots pretty good. But I'm not aching to get it back to the range.

I can have as much or more fun with centerfire rounds that still cost less and have more whump on the far end.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast