Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks like a scam to me

Looks like a scam to me

Just got an unsolicited message claiming to be from the Illinois Department of transportation wanting to "verify " my drivers license information.

Funny thing. In Illinois drivers licenses are issued and regulated by the secretary of state. The Department of Transportation deals with road maintenance and such. Here is a screen shot of the form I was asked to fill out. I will pass.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Strong possibility. I'd phone the issuing agency and ask them if such a survey is being conducted, then respond or not accordingly.

DG

I'd fill it out with bogus info just for fun.
    Clearly a scam to get more personal info. Name, DOB, maybe even SSN?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

They can't even spell. They left the I out of IDIOT.

Yeah, they're 'pfishing' for you info to use for identity theft.

I get stuff like the IRS demands $5,000. in bit coin or the Police are on the way, and I'll be arrested.
    Other ones want Walmart gift cards, or I'll be arrested.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

Scam, they turn around and use your info to create fake licenses under another name. Then sell them to illegals.

Boolit Master
    It's definitely a scam, and not even a very good one

Always look at the url. A government site will always come from a recognizable domain, usually ending in .gov.

That's an MS Office 365 survey, based on the url. That's just a survey some guy made with his $5/mo Office 365 subscription.

You should also always look at the sending email. If the email address doesn't say they're from the government, they're not. Anything from the Illinois DOT should have both an email address and a website that ends with "idot.illinois.gov"

If you're not sure what a real email address or url should look like, just Google that department and go to their official website. Any official communication from that department will have that same domain in both the sending email and any links it sends you to.

In the future, I recommend not even clicking the link. Look at the link, and if where it's sending you doesn't make sense, don't even click it.

More sophisticated hackers can give you a virus just by opening the web page.

Sorry to preach, cyber security is part of my day job. I just gave my entire company, from the president down, an hour and a half lecture about password strength yesterday, so I guess I'm still feeling preachy.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I have a friend that works for the Attorney General. I will see if she can get it to the right place.

Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I have a friend that works for the Attorney General. I will see if she can get it to the right place.

You can also forward it here: phish@office365.microsoft.com

Microsoft doesn't take kindly to people using their services for illegal purposes, they'll shut him down.

Friends, the first sign of a scam. How are they going to verify anything if they don't already have the correct answers to begin with? Just a little something to think about.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Grand Master

Forward it to the ILL State Police.
    Mike now in ILL-nois
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    I need to verify your bank account info. Please send login credentials so I can verify the info is correct...

Boolit Master
    You don't even want to know what I know about how easy it is to get people's bank credentials. Between the security classes I've taken that teach you how to do it and working on banks' sites and seeing how they're put together, you'd be horrified.

Most of us are pretty safe simply because we don't have enough money in there to be worth stealing. The prison sentence that goes with being caught isn't worth the risk unless you're talking about 7+ figures.

I'll just say that you should never, ever log into your bank, credit card company, or other important site from an airport, a Starbucks, a public library, or any other unknown wifi.

If anyone "official" needs to get in touch with me it won't be by email. Just sayin'.

It was a text. Metro Atlanta area code.

Boolit Master
    don't know where you got it, email, sometimes just opening email from scam artists can jeopardize integrity of your computer. that's what ive been told anyway
    I rarely even open much of anything anymore.
    but since you opened it you could fill out form with a made up number and for name Mickey Mouse or dumbo might work

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Well the ones our .Gov are flying/letting in need an American sounding name and a American SS#

Some of yall are simply not good patriots/comrades ?

Boolit Grand Master
    How about putting Nancy Pelosi or HRC??? or senile Joe or???? as your name!!!

Boolit Master
    I'll help you fill it out.
    DL# LSDI84OU812
    First name Elwood
    Last name Blues
    ST address 1060 West Addison
    Chicago , ILL
    Ph # 867-5309

We get a lot of stupid calls and spam like this I've kinda made it a hobby to play these idiots like a fish on the line till I get bored or they go away. I figure if I'm playing with them that eats up there time to bother someone else.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmattes View Post
    You don't even want to know what I know about how easy it is to get people's bank credentials. Between the security classes I've taken that teach you how to do it and working on banks' sites and seeing how they're put together, you'd be horrified.

Most of us are pretty safe simply because we don't have enough money in there to be worth stealing. The prison sentence that goes with being caught isn't worth the risk unless you're talking about 7+ figures.

I'll just say that you should never, ever log into your bank, credit card company, or other important site from an airport, a Starbucks, a public library, or any other unknown wifi.

Uh oh. I have 7 figures, but a bunch are to the right of the decimal point

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast