RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Product Alert : Ranch Secrete Sauce

Boolit Grand Master

Product Alert : Ranch Secrete Sauce

I like Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing and H V Ranch Dip , make it every holiday for chip/dip and dressing .
    Spotted Hidden Valley restaurant inspired Original Secrete Sauce ... pleasing color so I bought a bottle ...looked good ... advertised as a sandwich dressing and/or fry dipping sauce ... inspired by restaurants .
    Last night I'm making a Turkey-Tomato- Lettuce and Bacon sandwich , think about the secrete sauce and open it up ...
    but before I slather it all over my sandwich ... I taste it .... NASTY ! Secrete Sauce goes in refg. and out comes Mayo !
    It has a taste I don't like , I'll probably end up throwing it away unless I can add something to it to dilute the Wonky Taste . I can make up my own great tasting sauce with Mayo , ketchup and a few other ingredients (it's a pink remoulade sauce/dressing) but I think I'll keep this nice bottle , it has a nice cap great for keeping in the refg... not a total loss .
    But fair warning ...Taste this stuff before you buy it ... you might not like it !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 06-17-2021 at 12:43 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I'm not so sure about the advice to taste it before you buy it. The store might have an issue with that.

But I've had the same experience. Most of the new sauce flavors aren't anywhere close as good as some of the gold standards.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Moderator Emeritus

Hidden Valley changed the oil they use. It has a weird almost fishy flavor to me...

Boolit Master

i don't want any sauce that's been secreted.

WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Bub
    I think I saw a mayo/ketchup mix for sale. I mean for real? People are too lazy to mix their own ketchup and mayo? Lol Merica

Quote Originally Posted by usedtobeyoung View Post
    I think I saw a mayo/ketchup mix for sale.
    Yeah, it's out there. I've seen it labeled as 'mayochup' under the Heinz brand.
    I tried a bottle, and it isn't bad, but it is on the light pink side and mostly mayo.

I went back to mayo. on one side of my bun, and 'chup on the other.
    It pretty well got me to the same place.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

Heinz Ketchup, Miracle Whip in equal parts. Franks hot sauce to taste. Use as a BBQ sauce for chicken and pork. How it tastes raw and cooked are totally different! I sometimes add a little garlic powder or salt, onion powder to this along with lots of black pepper.

Boolit Bub
    A girlfriend was staying with me when a was a younger man. I was in college and not quite civilized. Lol. My fridge was plumb full of beer, but for food I had a loaf of bread, cheese and mayo. She made grilled cheese and I was genuinely surprised, I asked how they were toasted so perfect. She proceeded to explain how many restaurants use mayo not butter. At the time I was amazed. Still to this day I use mayo to toast bread in sandwiches or hamburger buns.

Boolit Buddy

if you like Ranch Dressing or dip, and like how fresh it usually is at a restaurant, you can easily make it and customize it to your taste. Get the dry mix, i get a "Hidden Valley homestyle seasoning mix" (15.7 oz) and add 3 ingredients -- buttermilk, mayonaise and sour cream. The mix does have powdered buttermilk, so if you want you can use regular milk. the sour cream thickens it so if you want dip use amount of sour cream to get right thickness.
    n

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I like Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing and H V Ranch Dip , make it every holiday for chip/dip and dressing .
    Spotted Hidden Valley restaurant inspired Original Secrete Sauce ... pleasing color so I bought a bottle ...looked good ... advertised as a sandwich dressing and/or fry dipping sauce ... inspired by restaurants .
    Last night I'm making a Turkey-Tomato- Lettuce and Bacon sandwich , think about the secrete sauce and open it up ...
    but before I slather it all over my sandwich ... I taste it .... NASTY ! Secrete Sauce goes in refg. and out comes Mayo !
    It has a taste I don't like , I'll probably end up throwing it away unless I can add something to it to dilute the Wonky Taste . I can make up my own great tasting sauce with Mayo , ketchup and a few other ingredients (it's a pink remoulade sauce/dressing) but I think I'll keep this nice bottle , it has a nice cap great for keeping in the refg... not a total loss .
    But fair warning ...Taste this stuff before you buy it ... you might not like it !
    Gary
    I am curious about the ingrediants. what are they?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

google answered my question...
    there is Tamarind in it, giving a sour flavor profile that some people dislike.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by usedtobeyoung View Post
    A girlfriend was staying with me when a was a younger man. I was in college and not quite civilized. Lol. My fridge was plumb full of beer, but for food I had a loaf of bread, cheese and mayo. She made grilled cheese and I was genuinely surprised, I asked how they were toasted so perfect. She proceeded to explain how many restaurants use mayo not butter. At the time I was amazed. Still to this day I use mayo to toast bread in sandwiches or hamburger buns.
    same, mayo is mostly oil so that's where the toasty comes from.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    google answered my question...
    there is Tamarind in it, giving a sour flavor profile that some people dislike.
    Last night I got my wife to taste the sauce ...and like JonB says ...it's the Tamarind in it that gives that "different" taste . My wife tasted it two or three times and had this puzzled look on her face ... then say's You know what ...this taste like Pizza flavored Combo's ... I wonder if Pizza Combo's has Tamarind in it ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"